Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved a 4-door Badlands on 07/14/20 but I decided on Friday (11/13/20) to hold off on ordering one after I read an article in Ford Authority saying 'With the Bronco four-door optional slide-out tailgate that arrives late next year, sleeping comfort can be extended more than a foot in length to increase the diagonal length to 8 feet, 9 inches.' That is one of the features I really want, not only for the utility it provides, but also because it levels off the cargo area when the back seats are down. Without it, there is a step up from the far back to the backs of the folded down seats. That can be very uncomfortable and hard on your back when you sleep in the back of the vehicle. It's harder to load and remove cargo with a step-up in the back too. I had planned on getting the black top because I thought it would have a better contrast with my Area51 paint and I also like the removable rear side-windows that come with painted tops. I was willing to compromise on that given the molded-in gray color top was much cheaper and wouldn't get noticeably scratched when I loaded my canoe and kayaks on the roof. However, the unavailability of the slide-out tailgate was "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/2021-ford-bronco-was-designed-to-double-as-a-comfy-camper/
Ford has been featuring all these cool options and accessories for overlanding and camping on their web site and YouTube videos, but it appears that many won't be available till late next year or the 2022 model. They seem to be counting on a majority of reservation owners ordering their vehicles in December or January, so they want to limit varieties they run through production, but from what I've read from other reservation holders, I expect the majority probably won't order theirs in December or January. Some will hold off till they can order the Bronco the way they want it, like me, while others have given up on the Bronco for now because they feel they can't wait till next year for a vehicle or they think they are too expensive. I'm just wondering if I can keep a place in line while waiting for Ford to manufacture Broncos with the options I want? I thought I read that Ford is willing to do that for holders of reservations for First Edition and Wildtrak models who don't want molded-in color tops.
Sponsored

P.C

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Silverado, 1952 Chev 3100, 2016 Honda Fit
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I reserved a 4-door Badlands on 07/14/20 but I decided on Friday (11/13/20) to hold off on ordering one after I read an article in Ford Authority saying 'With the Bronco four-door optional slide-out tailgate that arrives late next year, sleeping comfort can be extended more than a foot in length to increase the diagonal length to 8 feet, 9 inches.' That is one of the features I really want, not only for the utility it provides, but also because it levels off the cargo area when the back seats are down. Without it, there is a step up from the far back to the backs of the folded down seats. That can be very uncomfortable and hard on your back when you sleep in the back of the vehicle. It's harder to load and remove cargo with a step-up in the back too. I had planned on getting the black top because I thought it would have a better contrast with my Area51 paint and I also like the removable rear side-windows that come with painted tops. I was willing to compromise on that given the molded-in gray color top was much cheaper and wouldn't get noticeably scratched when I loaded my canoe and kayaks on the roof. However, the unavailability of the slide-out tailgate was "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/2021-ford-bronco-was-designed-to-double-as-a-comfy-camper/
Ford has been featuring all these cool options and accessories for overlanding and camping on their web site and YouTube videos, but it appears that many won't be available till late next year or the 2022 model. They seem to be counting on a majority of reservation owners ordering their vehicles in December or January, so they want to limit varieties they run through production, but from what I've read from other reservation holders, I expect the majority probably won't order theirs in December or January. Some will hold off till they can order the Bronco the way they want it, like me, while others have given up on the Bronco for now because they feel they can't wait till next year for a vehicle or they think they are too expensive. I'm just wondering if I can keep a place in line while waiting for Ford to manufacture Broncos with the options I want? I thought I read that Ford is willing to do that for holders of reservations for First Edition and Wildtrak models who don't want molded-in color tops.
I believe that the slide out tailgate will just be a bolt in that can be added anytime after the fact. Will not need to be ordered with the vehicle.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe that the slide out tailgate will just be a bolt in that can be added anytime after the fact. Will not need to be ordered with the vehicle.
you are correct. No reason to hold an order for a post production option.

Orbiter

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can also craft a simple platform out of plywood plank and 2x4s to level the back with the seats until you get the tailgate. Shouldn't cost more than $50 and some time and effort.

Sponsored

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, let me get this straight. You most likely won't be getting your Bronco until mid summer ( based on projections), but you're canceling your reservation because your back tailgate area won't be flat?
:unsure:
You planning to sleep in your Bronco in late summer/fall? And if so you can't throw a couple pieces of wood together to make a temporary platform that would level out your sleeping area?

Don't get me wrong, it's your choice, but you're holding off getting a $50k bronco for something you coukd throw together for $10.
Seems trivial

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good idea, maybe you should cancel and order a 2022..

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good luck. I personally don't understand your decision based on an accessory, but it is yours alone to make. To answer your question on holding off, the answer is no. All reservations regardless of when they were made must convert to an order by 1.31.21. Those that don't will be cancelled and your $100 refunded.

People need to understand that the reservation process will go away. Ford will build converted orders. Those that don't convert their order will have the opportunity to buy a Bronco that is built to dealer's specification on the dealer lot. Don't be mad when you can't get what you want from the dealer's lot.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Talking about the slide out (and the drop down table and security cover/molle treatment in what I believe the accessory list once fully published will call the Rear Cargo Management System), is anyone concerned that if you order a four door 2.7, these will be unavailable due to current weight restrictions?

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This reminds me of a question I have always had. I reserved mine on 7/20/20, which is a few days after Ford opened up reservations. Can someone tell me what time/date the first reservations would have been placed? I think it is 7/14... For some reason I missed the rollout messages and didn't see the news of it till that weekend after (hence my week late reservation). I had basically distanced myself from news and social media this summer due to all the nonsense that was going on.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Talking about the slide out (and the drop down table and security cover/molle treatment in what I believe the accessory list once fully published will call the Rear Cargo Management System), is anyone concerned that if you order a four door 2.7, these will be unavailable due to current weight restrictions?
But can be ordered after the fact, this is all based on GVWR and keeping in the same class as the Jeep. Now what you put on afterwards is up to you.

OP
OP
Bronco6Geo

Bronco6Geo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands Non-Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope you're right about this. If that's true then I'll press ahead with my order. I thought it looked like a factory option (like painted hardtops) and was simply being delayed for the sake of limiting variations on the assembly line. My post may turn out to be moot, but if that is the case then I'm glad I posted it, if for no other reason than to be enlightened by you and others.

Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plus the aftermarket will absolutely kill this with better designs .