HOSS 3.0 Lift options?

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tire weight was huge on my lited Tacoma for mpg's. I will not do that and kill mpg on the Bronco. Probably Toyo at3 great tire light weight. Still 6 lbs heavier than stock tires.
37” Toyo AT3s are still 73 lbs and the new RT Trails are 75 lbs. 37” BFG K02s are 64.8 lbs…

I’ve been searching for a better tire than the K02’s in 37” that’s close to the same weight ,but no luck so far… It’s hard to understand how their 37” is so much lighter than everyone else, without sacrificing build quality.

Closest thing for me are the Toyo’s… I had the 33” AT3s on my JGC and liked them a lot, handled better than the K02’s I had before

I want MT Baja Boss AT or MT, but those are 79-80 lbs. There are still a lot of other MT’s quite heavier though.

I’ll be coupling with a light wheel like the RTR Evo6 @ 22lbs. Those with the 37” Toyo AT3’s would be 95 lbs, only 7 lbs over the stock SAS (~88 lbs).

Just wondering how much how much of a difference it will really make though with the 4.7 gears…mpgs avg 15.3 right now, but seems to be getting slightly better as the engine has broken in, at 1200 miles now. I do have a bit heavier foot and enjoy sport GOAT… 😁 However I see people with 37s getting the same mpgs… 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco Badlands Sad on order!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
37” Toyo AT3s are still 73 lbs and the new RT Trails are 75 lbs. 37” BFG K02s are 64.8 lbs…

I’ve been searching for a better tire than the K02’s in 37” that’s close to the same weight ,but no luck so far… It’s hard to understand how their 37” is so much lighter than everyone else, without sacrificing build quality.

Closest thing for me are the Toyo’s… I had the 33” AT3s on my JGC and liked them a lot, handled better than the K02’s I had before

I want MT Baja Boss AT or MT, but those are 79-80 lbs. There are still a lot of other MT’s quite heavier though.

I’ll be coupling with a light wheel like the RTR Evo6 @ 22lbs. Those with the 37” Toyo AT3’s would be 95 lbs, only 7 lbs over the stock SAS (~88 lbs).

Just wondering how much how much of a difference it will really make though with the 4.7 gears…mpgs avg 15.3 right now, but seems to be getting slightly better as the engine has broken in, at 1200 miles now. I do have a bit heavier foot and enjoy sport GOAT… 😁 However I see people with 37s getting the same mpgs… 🤷‍♂️
I personally don't like the look of the K02's. I was actually referencing the 35" Toyota at3's, they come in C rating, I think we're 59 lbs. Stock tires are 53 or 54 lbs. Toyota 37" are only E rated and are quite a bit heavier. I am fine with stock wheels for now, added Bora 1.25" spacers which I have on my 2011 and 2016 Tacoma's. Have never been an issue and give a nice stance, I believe. I am trying to create a nice uniqueness without making borderline acceptable mpg's, into ones that I will regret.🫤

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ya so it looks like Nitto makes the RECON grappler in a 37. And the weight is crazy light- 70lbs…. BUT it’s an 11.5x17

So that’s a skinnier tire with the nice tall height. It looks a lot better than the KO2s imo, but I really don’t know much about them. I’ll have to do some research.

I had KM2 pizza cutters on my FJ and they were unstoppable. These are most certainly NOT Km2s by any stretch (pulled NAILS out of the KM2s and kept rollin). But the weight is excellent and it measures out at 36.5.

Anyone have any thoughts on either the RECON itself OR the 11.5” width?

As to the mystery of the weight of the KO2s… I think what it is is that the tire is small. It measures out at 35.5. That’s an entire inch smaller overall. That’s around 3% give or take and depending on where that size difference is coming from it could account for several pounds.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Toyo AT3 37x12.5x17 weighs in at 73lbs and BUT is E rated and I suspect is probably pretty rough on road.

The R/T Trail 37x12.5x17 weighs in at 75lbs and is also E rated.

The RECON grappler is D rated.

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Toyo AT3 37x12.5x17 weighs in at 73lbs and BUT is E rated and I suspect is probably pretty rough on road.

Ya so it looks like Nitto makes the RECON grappler in a 37. And the weight is crazy light- 70lbs…. BUT it’s an 11.5x17

So that’s a skinnier tire with the nice tall height. It looks a lot better than the KO2s imo, but I really don’t know much about them. I’ll have to do some research.

I had KM2 pizza cutters on my FJ and they were unstoppable. These are most certainly NOT Km2s by any stretch (pulled NAILS out of the KM2s and kept rollin). But the weight is excellent and it measures out at 36.5.

Anyone have any thoughts on either the RECON itself OR the 11.5” width?

As to the mystery of the weight of the KO2s… I think what it is is that the tire is small. It measures out at 35.5. That’s an entire inch smaller overall. That’s around 3% give or take and depending on where that size difference is coming from it could account for several pounds.
Shows 36.5” so it’s not that short.
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 Lift options? FF404568-9996-479D-AA2C-EEC344F71622

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 11.5 width shows 70lbs, but they also have a 12.5 that’s 75.57 lbs so no better than the Toyo in the same width.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Shows 36.5” so it’s not that short.
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 Lift options? FF404568-9996-479D-AA2C-EEC344F71622
By all reports the KO2 measures out at 35.5ish once mounted. It’s widely regarded as the smallest 37. So I don’t know where they get the numbers from.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 11.5 width shows 70lbs, but they also have a 12.5 that’s 75.57 lbs so no better than the Toyo in the same width.
Ya- I think that’s a very good point. I think I’m leaning towards staying with the 12.5 and it’s looking more and more like it could come down to the AT3s or the R/T Trails. Still mulling but I’ve got to pull the trigger on a tire order later today or Monday at the latest.

I checked with the shop manager (me) and it appears my garage downstairs will have an opening late next week so I am scheduling my lift install for Friday.

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ya- I think that’s a very good point. I think I’m leaning towards staying with the 12.5 and it’s looking more and more like it could come down to the AT3s or the R/T Trails. Still mulling but I’ve got to pull the trigger on a tire order later today or Monday at the latest.

I checked with the shop manager (me) and it appears my garage downstairs will have an opening late next week so I am scheduling my lift install for Friday.
Yeah, IMO I like the look of the Toyo’s better and they have more aggressive tread than the Nitto’s.

Good luck with the decision though. Post up some pics when you’re done!

UTARD

Wildtrak
First Name
Rance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 raptor gen 6 Wildtrak bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, fuck it. I'm in... I just pulled the trigger on the 3"/2.25" RPGs.

This was more analysis paralysis than I am used to... I finally went all in after I realized I'll probably end up with a Carli kit after they come out, so might as well go for it at the height I wanted and see how bad it really is...

Everyone I've spoken to has had the exact same feedback irrespective of collar height- they ALL say that there was very little or no impact on the HOSS 3.0. Forum members here have been ultra helpful- shoutout to Bean14 (2.25/2.25), Sancho77 (3/2.25), bhxhhcz (2.25/1.5).

After several discussions with the RPG guys (super helpful btw) I finally decided the following:

1) I intentionally waited and got the HOSS 3.0 mostly for the steering rack and tie rods because I ultimately knew I wanted to run 37s (the build goal is what I'm calling 'skinny raptor').

2) The Fox OEs are great and I would like to keep them if they meet my use case (DD/light-moderate offroad/overland/desert/mountains, little to no serious rock crawling)

3) Carli has had a kit in development for a good while now and will be better than the Fox setup no matter what (I run their pintop King 2.5 kit with all the goodies on my 2500 and it's the shit)- so if the RPGd Fox shocks are too harsh or suck off road I will be upgrading to the Carlis. Or, knowing my modification addiction maybe I just go Carli anyway because Carli.

4) Given the engineering of the Bronco and it's build around 35s it's clear to me that the corrected height will need to be a solid 3"s in order to prevent interference on up travel from the larger tires and also 'skinny raptor'.

So decision made!

I will report back on ride quality and tire fitment (Ridge Graps, heavier/better? vs. BFG KO2s, lighter/good enough?- opinions would be greatly appreciated).

I will also be doing the install myself and I will report back on that separately from the floor of my garage.
I would be interested in your hoss 3.0 shocks if you decide to go the carli route thanks.

Sponsored

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would be interested in your hoss 3.0 shocks if you decide to go the carli route thanks.
It will be a while, hopefully.... but ya never know. If Carli comes out with their kit FAST I would take a close look at it. I really want to give the RPG set up a shot and see how it goes first off. If I end up making the jump to the Kings I'm sure there will be a hot fire thread on selling my takeoffs.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, IMO I like the look of the Toyo’s better and they have more aggressive tread than the Nitto’s.

Good luck with the decision though. Post up some pics when you’re done!
Ya- tend to agree. I will absolutely be either updating this thread or starting a new one, beginning with the RPG install next week. I will post back with my tire order as well as a follow on review.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya- tend to agree. I will absolutely be either updating this thread or starting a new one, beginning with the RPG install next week. I will post back with my tire order as well as a follow on review.
Did you get them installed? If so, how do you like?

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh it’s awful! No just kidding I’m sick as hell and physically couldn’t get into it. It’s going to be a few days. Hopefully mid next week at the latest. I’m on the mend…
I am glad you're on the mend. Sure hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.😎
Sponsored