First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes and no. We have more choices then you would think. The problem is not knowing if what we change will work correctly, like in this case. I can force different data into a module that isn’t for the exact car, but without trial and error I have no idea if that data will work with everything else correctly.
Ya, I used to use IDS when I was in the dealership too, but I quit when it was a relatively new tool (2004). I just remember that it pretty much flashed whatever the vin decodes to. The aftermarket FJDS program they give us independent chumps is even less flexible. Sometimes too many choices is bad though! For this rack swap, I would think doing a regular PMI install would work...thats what I'm gonna try 1st when I get that far. Long term I hope that after we get a few successful installs done, Ford will approve this as an authorized modification, and all warranty will be valid. Dont see why they wouldn't be willing to do that?
Sponsored

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would like to know the diameter of the tie rods on all the levels of suspension. it would make it a little easier to compare.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man...maybe I should have just added HOSS. To late. Who knew that something like replacement steering was going to be C___ blocked by Ford.

Maybe Ford Performance will finally come out with a legit upgrade that dealer's can program.

The question now is to brace tie rods or not. We jave no real proof that either actually breaks the steering rack.

From what Bronco Buster found, flexing in the rack causes the rod to rub on the housing which then puts metal shavings into the gears.

Always wondered why we just can't put bushings in both sides to prevent the rubbing and call it a day.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
HOSS 3.0 may require a different strategy - and a different calibration. We don’t know. But when Ford the Dealer starts putting on 3.0 on a 1.0 car they’ll have to figure it out on their own. Ford Manufacturing will never give them the tools to just drop in a section of strategy - because Ford manufacturing never tested the car as such and never built the car as such.

Source - automotive engineer for an OEM, that last I checked….does powertrain calibration
If the goal is to not fuck up peoples cars, then refusing to share known knowledge and just "letting dealers figuring it out on their own" is, how do you say?

tenor.gif

A simple "we do not accept liability for these modifications" would suffice.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man...maybe I should have just added HOSS. To late. Who knew that something like replacement steering was going to be C___ blocked by Ford.

Maybe Ford Performance will finally come out with a legit upgrade that dealer's can program.

The question now is to brace tie rods or not. We jave no real proof that either actually breaks the steering rack.

From what Bronco Buster found, flexing in the rack causes the rod to rub on the housing which then puts metal shavings into the gears.

Always wondered why we just can't put bushings in both sides to prevent the rubbing and call it a day.
We don't know that it's C-blocked as you say just yet. All signs point to (eventually) this being an accepted upgrade...it's just WAY early in the game!

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was considering this for a future mod but after reading this thread and all the discussion about modules it’s obviously way beyond my basic capabilities. This thread makes me long for my 1982 auto shop class and back when we were working on late 60’s and early 70’s trucks that were purely mechanical.

That said this thread does help me understand why the list of modules that popped when my Bronco was being built was a short novel.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It should not be way early in the game.....but it is. Unfortunately Ford does release a replacement product for sale and then someday when they get around to it will figure out how to make it work.....somehow.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the goal is to not fuck up peoples cars, then refusing to share known knowledge and just "letting dealers figuring it out on their own" is, how do you say?

A simple "we do not accept liability for these modifications" would suffice.
1) it’s not known knowledge. Ford hasn’t released a calibration/strategy for a 1.0 built vehicle subbed for 3.0 - because they haven’t tested or certified it
2) Ford isn’t advising to replace 1.0 for 3.0 - if I went in to replace my steering rack the service manual would call for a specific 1.0 part

So yes a dealer trying to do this is acting on their own outside of the purview of Ford Motor Company - why would they stand by that?

Think speed shops back in the day, or Roush today - they heavily modify cars, but they come with their own warranty not backed by Ford. When a dealer replaces a part with a non-oem spec part they’ve entered the tuning/manufacturing space.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It should not be way early in the game.....but it is. Unfortunately Ford does release a replacement product for sale and then someday when they get around to it will figure out how to make it work.....somehow.
Has NOT YET been released as an upgrade for all Bronco trims, however all signs point to that being possible in the near future. Currently it's available as a direct replacement part for Wildtrak w/3.0. And that package was a mid year 2022 option...so yes, this is a pretty new idea. @BigMeatsBronco and myself have put a little of our own skin in the game w/the hope that we can make it work, but that IS NOT guaranteed.

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs