First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Super easy once I got my connector working (2 hours) and FDRS to log in (1 hour). Programing took 20 minutes? Then another 3 hours trying to figure out all the fault codes from actually damaging the rack. I had to reflash the abs module and sccm to get it talking. Then finally get codes to pull. I also was jumping back and forth with Forscan and FDRS for a while trying to figure out what does what.
Ya, yours is a special case because of the original rack failure. Interesting you had config errors w/ABS, or was that just codes related to the original failure?
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ya, yours is a special case because of the original rack failure. Interesting you had config errors w/ABS, or was that just codes related to the original failure?
I think it has to do with faults prior to me flashing the rack. I had a bunch of faults because of the sccm module being in error.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Don't get to concerned about it... I Know @Snacktime's experience is making you nervous, but keep in mind he actually had a rack failure on the trail and it's pretty much impossible to get a rig home from a situation like that without the wheel moving. It wasn't so much the rack Install that killed his clockspring...

And, there are tons of cheap steering wheel holders on Amazon, Like this one;

https://www.amazon.com/368mm-Steering-Holder-Alignment-Essential/dp/B09BQX43PQ

I borrowed one from the alignment shop I use, and it's worth putting one on while you do the job if you can get one, but really, if you can be careful and not spin the steering wheel during the rack install, you won't screw it up.
I am just going to use a ratchet strap and anchor some point (like the seat) to the bottom center of the steering wheel.

CyberOrangeBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did anyone replace any of the bolts when installing the steering rack, is there any one time use only bolts involved?

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks to all of the pioneers of this swap! My rack is on the way even though I don't have my Bronco yet. I'm not too concerned about the mechanical aspects of the swap, but the programming has me a bit worried. I've used forscan with my F150, so no worries there, but FDRS is worrisome...

Last edited:

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did anyone replace any of the bolts when installing the steering rack, is there any one time use only bolts involved?
Ford service manual says to replace everything... but nobody does. It would probably be difficult and expensive to get some of them. Loctite if a concern.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668490115731

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668489900254
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668489919552
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668489963847
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668489986914
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1668490020094

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Aren't those called rivets? (J/k)

I know it's not proper, but I don't think I've ever replaced a bolt I've taken out unless it was damaged.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Excellent thanks my new rack gets delivered today.
Let me know when you want to do the swap! I am working on getting my old laptop to work Fdrs software. Otherwise I am using my desktop.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT PXL_20221113_173000153

Thanks to all of the pioneers of this swap! My rack is on the way even though I don't have my Bronco yet. I'm not too concerned about the mechanical aspects of the swap, but the programming has me a bit worried. I've used forscan with my F150, so no worries there, but FDRS is worrisome...
It's much easier to use Fdrs than forscan. It takes a few minutes for the Fdrs license to process through, which threw me for a curve ball.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, Report after 2 days of my normal commute to work, I-95 in Northern Virginia 32 Miles each way, 65~75mph.

I haven't had it aligned yet, It goes in for alignment tomorrow morning, Right now it feels a little vague in tracking, but I'm relatively certain the toe is off, it's also possible the camber is a bit off on the passenger side since I had to loosen one of the bolts on the lower arm passenger side. The shop I use gives good before and after readouts so I'll report those here.

Pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the Rack though.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you can use Forscan effectively, FDRS will be a walk in the park... It's way more intuitive and easy to use :)

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So rack swap party at @Snacktime house then ;)

My Bronco is reportedly in Ohio, hopefully heading to Richmond soon.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to open a shop and get a lift just for personal use.
That's sorta what I did... When I wanted to build a shop on my land, the county zoning was so stupid I would have ended up with little more than a 2 car garage not tall enough to house a lift.. (Out buildings not allowed to be higher than my ranch style home)...

I found out I could buy an Industrial 'condo' (1200sqft) for about the same amount of money as I could have built a nice shop anyway.

anotherstupiduser

Wildtrak
First Name
Ma-ku マ-ク
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's sorta what I did... When I wanted to build a shop on my land, the county zoning was so stupid I would have ended up with little more than a 2 car garage not tall enough to house a lift.. (Out buildings not allowed to be higher than my ranch style home)...

I found out I could buy an Industrial 'condo' (1200sqft) for about the same amount of money as I could have built a nice shop anyway.
Have you considered a pit? I used to have access to a decommissioned bus depot with a 4' deep, 3 foot wide, 100 foot long pit. It was epic for doing work. You could even get under cars while they were still strapped and running on the dyno if need be. Not 100% as good as a lift, but a cheap and effective substitute.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you considered a pit? I used to have access to a decommissioned bus depot with a 4' deep, 3 foot wide, 100 foot long pit. It was epic for doing work. You could even get under cars while they were still strapped and running on the dyno if need be. Not 100% as good as a lift, but a cheap and effective substitute.
I did consider a pit, if I had built a shop at the house, that's what I would have done, butt I do allot of suspension work on Jeeps, Scouts, and now Broncos.. and I'm not a spring chicken any more.. So a lift is kinda a must for me..
Sponsored