Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Isn't that essentially what guys are doing now? Just hanging their old unit with zipties?

Honestly Ford needs to release these things as plug and play. It would really help vs wrangler in the market in my opinion anywah
Yes essentially the same but less weight and easier to mount. Would take 5 minutes to install vs 1-2 hours of fooling around with FDRS software. This is a much easier solution for people who turn wrenchs.

Ford is not going to help us, I don't see them jumping through hoops like the aftermarket.
Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes essentially the same but less weight and easier to mount. Would take 5 minutes to install vs 1-2 hours of fooling around with FDRS software. This is a much easier solution for people who turn wrenchs.
Yeah, That's exactly what I would expect the aftermarket is going to do, no real reason to get any fancier than couple resistors for load, and a relay that'll switch the load when the main system tells it to disconnect... Probably really just need a simple ASIC..

Ford is not going to help us, I don't see them jumping through hoops like the aftermarket.
Also true... Eventually Ford Performance might put out some stuff, but it'll be years, and the FDU will come from Dana, Not Ford..

No reason we should be expecting this stuff from Ford anyway, Jeep doesn't really do all that much either... They mostly rebrand stuff from the aftermarket.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Although, with all the spare parts, I might as well build a sand rail.
Between the two of us, we could probably build a four wheel steer buggy that breaks tie rods every 200 yards.

Is it possible to do the programming without a big rack in hand?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Between the two of us, we could probably build a four wheel steer buggy that breaks tie rods every 200 yards.

Is it possible to do the programming without a big rack in hand?
No, you are actually programming the rack over the CAN bus. You can program the rack without actually installing it, just connect the plugs to the new rack (this is tougher than it sounds because you have to monkey the rack into the right position to make it happen).

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Much like many comments above, I plan to add the Hoss 3.0 rack but lack the technical skill to tackle the install. With help from some buddies I’m sure we could fumble our way through physically installing the rack, but the programming is well out of my skill set.

Anyone have any recommendations for a shop or even a dealer that could pull this off in Colorado?

cheers.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Much like many comments above, I plan to add the Hoss 3.0 rack but lack the technical skill to tackle the install. With help from some buddies I’m sure we could fumble our way through physically installing the rack, but the programming is well out of my skill set.

Anyone have any recommendations for a shop or even a dealer that could pull this off in Colorado?

cheers.
Figuring this all out the first time, that was no joke, and I am in awe of the brave people who did it before me. That said...

The programming is really simple, you are just unfamiliar with the process. This is probably one that a video needs to be done to show how simple it really is.

Hooking up the battery charger requires more technical skills.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, you are actually programming the rack over the CAN bus. You can program the rack without actually installing it, just connect the plugs to the new rack (this is tougher than it sounds because you have to monkey the rack into the right position to make it happen).
Ah, I kinda figured that was the case but wanted to be sure. My stupid rack hasn't even shipped yet.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah, I kinda figured that was the case but wanted to be sure. My stupid rack hasn't even shipped yet.
Well you are in luck, I purchased a 1 year subscription for FDRS and I will be up every weekend for the next year... So chances are that we will be able to get you squared away.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figuring this all out the first time, that was no joke, and I am in awe of the brave people who did it before me. That said...

The programming is really simple, you are just unfamiliar with the process. This is probably one that a video needs to be done to show how simple it really is.

Hooking up the battery charger requires more technical skills.
Well thank you for the kind words of encouragement, but I’m really not much of a mechanic. I have a few buddies that are very experienced, but none of us have experience with any programming. I need to learn more that’s for sure. Bumpers, armor, spark plugs, simple stuff I’m game. As you said, “unfamiliar” is spot on and anything with a laptop I’m bound to paint myself into a corner. 😂🤣😂

Man I’d love a step by step video targeted at “experienced rookies” but this is pretty new stuff so I don’t expect much on that front. 🤣 Doubtful that anyone would put in he legwork.

For now I will keep watching and learning as you guys forge the trail. I plan to run JKS tie rod sleeves as an temporary solution.

cheers.

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most weekends, sometimes during the week.
I might make the drive down with the rack in back for your expertise. I’m ordering mine when I get back from Sedona. Planning to do the rack and Sasquatch or 3.0 suspension in my Badlands. Then follow that up with the 210 and 35s.

Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might make the drive down with the rack in back for your expertise. I’m ordering mine when I get back from Sedona. Planning to do the rack and Sasquatch or 3.0 suspension in my Badlands. Then follow that up with the 210 and 35s.
If you've got a Badlands, You've already got the 210 and the best gearing Ford offers right now. Also an ever so slightly better suspension than the Sasquatch, (Same shocks, shorter bump stop). The HOSS 3.0 suspension would be an upgrade, but not the Sasquatch... a 1" level kit would be better than the Squatch...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
By all means, I am willing to help.

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you've got a Badlands, You've already got the 210 and the best gearing Ford offers right now. Also an ever so slightly better suspension than the Sasquatch, (Same shocks, shorter bump stop). The HOSS 3.0 suspension would be an upgrade, but not the Sasquatch... a 1" level kit would be better than the Squatch...
Sorry meant 4.70.

Seems like there’s a lot of disagreement on the 1” level vs Squatch. Also, you loose ESCV with the 3.0 fox suspension. Since extended high speed off road driving won’t be something I’m doing frequently I would think keeping the ESCV tech would be beneficial.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get that is how normal warranty works, but there have been several posts with people that have been denied warranty (non-rack related) because the dealer "found dirt".

We'll see.. I'm still undecided which route I'm going to take. I think if Bronco Buster's solution was cheaper...it would be a no brainer...but it's $1,200 and you guys are basically getting the HOSS rack cheaper (subtracting the core).
An initial denial isn't a final denial if the service person at the dealership is wrong. Also, we don't know the details of someone getting denied warranty coverage because the vehicle had "dirt" on it. If there was abuse it isn't warrantied, so any warranty denial would have to be evaluated on an individual basis. I'm simply answering the question "does taking the Bronco off road void the warranty on a particular part?" and the answer to that is no, it doesn't. People have cabins down a long dirt rode, people go camping down dirt roads, people drive to hiking trailheads down long dirt roads, ranchers and construction people and oilfield workers and miners and tons of other professions drive vehicles down long even rough dirt roads. It does not void a warranty on a part.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry meant 4.70.

Seems like there’s a lot of disagreement on the 1” level vs Squatch. Also, you loose ESCV with the 3.0 fox suspension. Since extended high speed off road driving won’t be something I’m doing frequently I would think keeping the ESCV tech would be beneficial.
Yeah, to do 35's on my Badlands I only used the bottom spacer on the 1" leveling kit, which was perfect. SAS is only .43" more lift than Badlands, so if the whole 1" kit is installed on a Badlands the front it will be too high. Mine sits level, and no rubbing that I have found front or rear with 35's.
Sponsored