Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What exactly is different between the raptor and 3.0 racks, other than the longer tie rods?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What exactly is different between the raptor and 3.0 racks, other than the longer tie rods?
Nobody knows at this point, but @Ducati1098 pointed out that they have different engineering numbers, so something must be...could be something trivial and meaningless (for our purposes) or could be a whole other cluster to get involved in, but they wouldn't have used a different # unless there was some difference.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So the ford tech used the WT hoss 3 rack VIN swap and PMI on the Braptor rack with success. He did not have success trying a Braptor vin....(but may have done something incorrectly with Braptor module VINs) was his statement.

So for now, it appears the Braptor rack could be purchased instead of the hoss 3 rack.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well I just got off the phone with Dorman and talked to their product development team and the good news is they are somewhat receptive to producing a rock rack for the Bronco as they already have built F-150 racks and are now also working on Explorer racks. It's feasible that when they're newer year F-150 racks are available, they could potentially be used in the Bronco with the correct programming, however Dorman uses their own programming in fact they had to do all of the programming from scratch. Somehow when you buy one of their racks It Bolts right in and the programming is done and throws no codes and needs no preprogramming to work because it's pre-programmed from Dorman so this is a big advantage. Of course their question is how big of a demand is there and how many of these would they sell?

Because they do all the programming from scratch it could take as long as 3 years from start point to having a product on the Shelf to buy so this is a real bummer but at the rate Fords going, some people won't even get their Bronco by the time the new heavy duty super rack is available from Dorman...

Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I just got off the phone with Dorman and talked to their product development team and the good news is they are somewhat receptive to producing a rock rack for the Bronco as they already have built F-150 racks and are now also working on Explorer racks. It's feasible that when they're newer year F-150 racks are available, they could potentially be used in the Bronco with the correct programming, however Dorman uses their own programming in fact they had to do all of the programming from scratch. Somehow when you buy one of their racks It Bolts right in and the programming is done and throws no codes and needs no preprogramming to work because it's pre-programmed from Dorman so this is a big advantage. Of course their question is how big of a demand is there and how many of these would they sell?

Because they do all the programming from scratch it could take as long as 3 years from start point to having a product on the Shelf to buy so this is a real bummer but at the rate Fords going, some people won't even get their Bronco by the time the new heavy duty super rack is available from Dorman...
I don't think there's going to be much of a market for upgraded racks, even at a much lower price point than 74 Welds, at least not for a few years and even then it's going to depend on so many things happening, like a good number more of Broncos being delivered.

While I've bought lots of Dorman Products, I never really thought of them as an 'Upgrade' type manufacturer, always thought they were a replacement "Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specifications" Kinda company.

That said, If they build one rack (replacement rack for BRaptors), they could certainly sell it as an upgrade to all the other trim Broncos, they just have to program it to work in all.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They'd have to offer an actual advantage in strength, exceeding the 3.0, before I had any interest in one three years down the road. The Dorman rack for the F150 was only upgraded with better seals to address the premature failures on OEM racks, so the "meets or exceeds OEM" seems to be fitting in that case anyway. I do think there will be more interest in a stronger rack that isn't 74Weld or a 3.0 when more people start realizing that they can't do hood rat stuff with lift kits like they can with other vehicles, but it's not going to sell more than the lift kits themselves, so it's kind of a limited market to begin with.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think Dorman would do well if they made stronger rack. There are plenty of Broncos out there off roading that will need a new rack sooner or later.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BroncBuster bushing is a bad idea on Hoss 3.0 as the bushing is much more substantial than a stock rack. The actual bushing is smaller and has a much different design with more material. As much as I tried to get the bushing out in 1 peice it came out completely destroyed.

Dimitar

Badlands
First Name
Dimitar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a TLDR on this thread? One simple question: can I order and install the severe duty rack on my 21’ SAS badlands?

Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a TLDR on this thread? One simple question: can I order and install the severe duty rack on my 21’ SAS badlands?
Even your question could get a TLDR answer ;)

No, You can't, cause you can't order a rack right now :p

Yes, If you could order a rack you could put it in a 2021 Badlands, a couple of the people in this thread (One being me) have done exactly that.

Christian

Badlands
First Name
Dixe mae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would the rack need to be programmed for my bronco if I could get one or is it a plug and play?

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Started a thread asking the same question.
In the comparing the two photos below the top is my 3.0 and bottom one 4.0.
The only cast difference I could see is that the case ribbing going across is complete on the 4.0, see right below the two casting marks that are about an inch apart.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT thumbnail (2)
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor_chassis_ 08

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Time to pour some fuel on the fire!

Presenting the one and only HOSS 2.5 Steering Rack brought to you by @NORCALGXP and Hamm's an America's Classic Premium Beer Born in the land of sky blue waters.

Hoss 1.0 Motor bolted to a HOSS 3.0 rack. Fault codes are below and looks like there is a steering position sensor inside the clock spring. I think this is a very important discovery as there are 2 separate clock springs for the bronco. I have a feeling this is related to why HOSS 3.0 the rack works in my bronco and not fancy those fancy broncos. FYI I Plugged the HOSS 2.5 rack into my bronco for testing.

Next phase will be a full install, since discovering the codes are related to the steering wheel clock spring. So at this point if you do a motor swap you may not need to program the rack. This is pretty big as it will allow more flexibility with a trail repair or make your own HOSS 2.5 rack.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT Yf1dSwC3nfkk0RJAgfkM75Sr5Y=w406-h229-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 4WDMoEXdw-7yavMvZWhm1oXzk=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT SaBRtKmHNcw7I5wGnMhsTnQ_M=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1TaSF-L881mUULMZJ-viBYXzY=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0
Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT vqMb5Ru3w2mZcU9j_aQFx_FcE=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT xp45ncZq4nrIzSp8_XfnzfseQ=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT F8kS5wn7T14z0Nr7VzAnRWAjs=w1131-h637-no?authuser=0
Sponsored

Last edited: