Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
very curious about this…

got me thinking about what the known differences are between the Ford racks. I think my head actually exploded. It would be great to have this data all summarized in one place.

it would be nice to start a new dedicated thread for this. We can keep updating as new knowledge is gained.
Nobody is ever gonna tell you why those #s are different...trust me! Agree that at some point we should start a master thread on steering upgrades tho!
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nobody is ever gonna tell you why those #s are different...trust me! Agree that at some point we should start a master thread on steering upgrades tho!
I like being off topic in this thread. It's all here some place in-between the BroncBuster bashing.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW, used racks are already programmed, so there should be no need to program them.

Also, if you want a rack other than NB3Z-3504-M programmed, I need to know the target VIN for the programming.

So, for instance, a used HOSS 2.0 or 3.0 rack should already be fully programmed. It should swap in without errors or any other shenanigans.

If you want it programmed, then I have valid VINs to program the NB3Z-3504-M racks, but I do not have valid VINs to all the other racks. I usually have to find examples of vehicles that are close to the final configuration of your vehicle with the appropriate rack.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The way I understood it was the change of numbers just meant a change in the part. Could be major or could be minor. Could be just a change to an electrical plug or could be a different housing. Just throwing it out there. 😁

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like being off topic in this thread. It's all here some place in-between the BroncBuster bashing.

This whole forum is like that. Back when I joined there was only 12 threads and 1K people here. We just all talked about everything in the same thread. :LOL: My how times have changed.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

very curious about this…

got me thinking about what the known differences are between the Ford racks. I think my head actually exploded. It would be great to have this data all summarized in one place.

it would be nice to start a new dedicated thread for this. We can keep updating as new knowledge is gained.
Thanks for volunteering! Here's my contribution. May not be showing the supersessions so proceed with caution.

Attachments

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The way I understood it was the change of numbers just meant a change in the part. Could be major or could be minor. Could be just a change to an electrical plug or could be a different housing. Just throwing it out there. 😁
Yeah. Understood. Sifting thru fords accounting madness is a challenge. Maybe a bridge to far. Sifting thru 90 pages of this thread is no picnic either. 😂 Probably scare off must folks that can benefit.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah. Understood. Sifting thru fords accounting madness is a challenge. Maybe a bridge to far. Sifting thru 90 pages of this thread is no picnic either. 😂 Probably scare off must folks that can benefit.
For starters you can ignore all posts before page 23...all completely irrelevant...then starting at that point, several members complete swaps. Most of us posted the programming techniques we used...there is more than one way to skin this cat...feel free to use the one you like best. At this point 3.0 rack swap appears to be doable on any trim/engine/trans combo. Additionally one question popped up, which was could you program a 3.0 rack, then install it in a completely different Bronco? Answer is yes...it appears the firmware is one size fits all. Also along the way some racks were defective out of the box...I got one, and there is just no salvaging a factory defect...be prepared for this possibility. Finally this thread is completely littered w/posts about whether this swap is needed, or if XYZ upgrade is better, or just as good...blah, blah, blah...just ignore...nobody knows the answer to that, and nobody cares. This was an upgrade alot of us just plain wanted to do whether needed or not!

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We had some rappys in stock so I compared them to the 3.0 that they're putting on mine soon.

Top is the raptor, inner and outer, jamb nut, outer threaded on until it bottomed out. Bottom is 3.0, same presentation.

Using a precision 12' Stanley Power Lock tape here are the numbers I got. Measurements were taken from back of socket (flat surface, not threaded stub) to the approximate center of the outer joint cap.

Overall:
Raptor 19 3/8"
HOSS 15 3/8"

Inner to end of thread:
Raptor 10 1/8"
HOSS 9 1/4"

Inner thread length:
Raptor 2 5/8"
HOSS 2 9/16"

Outer from end of shoulder to center of joint cap:
Raptor 11 3/16"
HOSS 8 1/8"

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT raphoss1

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT raphoss2

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT raphoss3

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We had some rappys in stock so I compared them to the 3.0 that they're putting on mine soon.

Top is the raptor, inner and outer, jamb nut, outer threaded on until it bottomed out. Bottom is 3.0, same presentation.

Using a precision 12' Stanley Power Lock tape here are the numbers I got. Measurements were taken from back of socket (flat surface, not threaded stub) to the approximate center of the outer joint cap.

Overall:
Raptor 19 3/8"
HOSS 15 3/8"

Inner to end of thread:
Raptor 10 1/8"
HOSS 9 1/4"

Inner thread length:
Raptor 2 5/8"
HOSS 2 9/16"

Outer from end of shoulder to center of joint cap:
Raptor 11 3/16"
HOSS 8 1/8"

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT raphoss3

So what is clear from this pic is that both inner and outer are longer (I think we knew this, but don't remember now) therefore Raptor rack minus outers will still be a different part # from Hoss 3.0. Don't know if that translates to engineering # tho...that was the big question. If inner is included at assembly line level then it would explain different engineering #s

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what is clear from this pic is that both inner and outer are longer (I think we knew this, but don't remember now) therefore Raptor rack minus outers will still be a different part # from Hoss 3.0. Don't know if that translates to engineering # tho...that was the big question. If inner is included at assembly line level then it would explain different engineering #s
The racks could be the same prior to getting tie rods. Definitely a lot longer likely due to the added lift and raptor specific steering knuckle. Raptor inner may be slightly bigger in diameter but the boot groove is also slightly further forward. If one was so inclined, they could probably get the raptor inner with boot kit and use the HOSS inner so long as you don't bottom out getting the toe set. This could also be good for people that have larger lifts and need additional adjustment room.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The racks could be the same prior to getting tie rods. Definitely a lot longer likely due to the added lift and raptor specific steering knuckle. Raptor inner may be slightly bigger in diameter but the boot groove is also slightly further forward. If one was so inclined, they could probably get the raptor inner with boot kit and use the HOSS inner so long as you don't bottom out getting the toe set. This could also be good for people that have larger lifts and need additional adjustment room.
The raptor rods and boots fit Hoss 3.0 and vice versa (?). At least I know one guy who has that exact setup. He has Bahakits long travel, and the Raptor tie rods on Hoss 3.0 rack on a early WT. Cool setup...nice to be able to use off the shelf parts.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The raptor rods and boots fit Hoss 3.0 and vice versa (?). At least I know one guy who has that exact setup. He has Bahakits long travel, and the Raptor tie rods on Hoss 3.0 rack on a early WT. Cool setup...nice to be able to use off the shelf parts.
The inner stub is the same size on all three racks so it will screw in and am assuming the boots likely have the same diameter on both ends. I don't think the raptor outers are going to work on anything but a raptor or a setup with a completely different steering knuckle. I might just order a couple of the raptor inners with the boot kits just to see if they can be used on my BL with HOSS outers when they do my lift.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

F it, told Jarod to order me a set, I'm going to try.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs