First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm seeing pics and posts with stock obx wheels having 305/70/18 tires. However, when i review the specs on those tires they all require a min 8.5" Diameter tire and the diameter on that wheel is only 7.5". Or am i missing something?

Is there something you have to do to that rim to install a tire that doesn't meet the spec or are you just installing the tire against the manufacturer specifications? No judgment on my part, I'm looking for a way to save 1700 bucks as well- by not having to buy new wheels.

If this is the case (installing against the manufacturer spec) is it dangerous or is it just a situation that makes the ride or longevity of the tire worse?
Sponsored

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm seeing pics and posts with stock obx wheels having 305/70/18 tires. However, when i review the specs on those tires they all require a min 8.5" Diameter tire and the diameter on that wheel is only 7.5". Or am i missing something?

Is there something you have to do to that rim to install a tire that doesn't meet the spec or are you just installing the tire against the manufacturer specifications? No judgment on my part, I'm looking for a way to save 1700 bucks as well- by not having to buy new wheels.

If this is the case (installing against the manufacturer spec) is it dangerous or is it just a situation that makes the ride or longevity of the tire worse?
https://tinyurl.com/OBXBronco

Someone posted this a while back

OP
OP

nab07447

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks Jimbo- thatā€™s great to see

however, Iā€™m still wondering how they are installing tires on the stock obx wheels that donā€™t meet the specs? The rims are to narrow for those 305/70 tires.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Jimbo- thatā€™s great to see

however, Iā€™m still wondering how they are installing tires on the stock obx wheels that donā€™t meet the specs? The rims are to narrow for those 305/70 tires.
They're finding shops that will just flat ignore the specs. It's really that simple. It's not a great idea, obviously, but people do it all the time.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah I tossed big bend stock tire take offs on my ranger that were to narrow but the bead set and held so šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP

nab07447

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They're finding shops that will just flat ignore the specs. It's really that simple. It's not a great idea, obviously, but people do it all the time.
Ok got it. I was wondering if it was that simple. I may do the same thing :)
Sponsored