Sponsored

How are you guys storing your hard tops?

MyBHinds

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Jamiegla1

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 1st time Bronco owner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed a pulley system for my 2 kayaks. Finding the joists was easy. Just get in the attic or crawl space above your ceiling, find the joists you want, and drill a small hole through the ceiling right next to the joists. Go down below and move over 3/4" and youre on center

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone use and have pics of the garage ceiling pully lift? How do you like it. That seems to be my only option due to space. It just looks intimidating to install. I hate having to find ceiling studs.

To find the studs, you just need your knuckle. If there is an electrical box on the ceiling for a door opener or light, that is where a rafter is. The electrical box is nailed to a stud. Studs are spaced every 16 inches on center, so you just measure 16" laterally (toward the sidewalls) then start knocking on the drywall listening for the sound to dullen. Once the sound dulls, that's were a rafter is.
PLEASE don’t use your knuckle - no matter how finely calibrated - to locate a rafter that you’re going to be using to hang a 100(?)lb. top over your head! Use a proper stud finder, and once you locate the rafter, hammer a small nail into the ceiling several times in a row until it goes into nothing on both sides of the rafter. That way, you’ll know exactly where the center of the board is. You don’t want to take a chance on catching just the edge of the board when you are supporting that much weight…

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
I installed a pulley system for my 2 kayaks. Finding the joists was easy. Just get in the attic or crawl space above your ceiling, find the joists you want, and drill a small hole through the ceiling right next to the joists. Go down below and move over 3/4" and youre on center
Exactly what I'll be doing. $25 for a simple system to hang the hard top out of the way will be perfect. Here's the one I think I'll be using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUL2DO/ref=sw_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Sponsored

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Anyone use and have pics of the garage ceiling pully lift? How do you like it. That seems to be my only option due to space. It just looks intimidating to install. I hate having to find ceiling studs.
Tiny garage for me, so can't store mine on the floor, went with the pulley system from Harken. Easy to install, yeah, finding the joists is the hardest part, unless they are open like mine..🤣

The system works well, nice and smooth operation, and so far no issues!

PXL_20220113_222308205.jpg

OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Gotta say it,
I store mine as unassembled in it's basic parts, materials, and components at the Webasto facility. I plan on putting in on the bronco sometime in 2023/2024
Mine is stored in digital blueprint only as it is modular painted. Now if I had the blueprint and a big enough 3D printer....

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went through looking at a lot of ideas and narrowed it down to one. I wanted a powered lift but every one of them took too much room up at the ceiling level. I have a 10' ceiling in my garage and I didn't want to give up 12"-18" or more to the hoist and pulleys. The Garage Smart took up the least amount of room but the $700 price tag was over the top. Then I went to the lift carts and quickly realized I didn't want that stupid thing sitting in my garage taking up room whether or not I was using it and they are WAY overpriced. On to the kayak hoists I went until I looked at the cords they were providing and the hardware, not very tough at all and over time look like they would start to fray easy. That left me at the Harken Hoist. With the Harken you can pull the top to within 6" of the ceiling, it comes with really good paracord rope and the brake pulley that comes with it is decent quality for 250 pounds. While I don't think the Harken should be priced at $175 it is the only hoist with quality parts and rope that I trust being over my head. I would not trust the Kayak hoists with anything but a Kayak. My one cent:p

OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went through looking at a lot of ideas and narrowed it down to one. I wanted a powered lift but every one of them took too much room up at the ceiling level. I have a 10' ceiling in my garage and I didn't want to give up 12"-18" or more to the hoist and pulleys. The Garage Smart took up the least amount of room but the $700 price tag was over the top. Then I went to the lift carts and quickly realized I didn't want that stupid thing sitting in my garage taking up room whether or not I was using it and they are WAY overpriced. On to the kayak hoists I went until I looked at the cords they were providing and the hardware, not very tough at all and over time look like they would start to fray easy. That left me at the Harken Hoist. With the Harken you can pull the top to within 6" of the ceiling, it comes with really good paracord rope and the brake pulley that comes with it is decent quality for 250 pounds. While I don't think the Harken should be priced at $175 it is the only hoist with quality parts and rope that I trust being over my head. I would not trust the Kayak hoists with anything but a Kayak. My one cent:p
This is probably the way I will go. Just worried that my garage ceilinf ia too low. It's only 8 feet.

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, I like that! But I see that is says 125lb capacity?
The Rear roof section on a 4 door is 68 pounds, should be plenty good.
Sponsored