Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

80-90% of the time driver attention is at most, at MOST 50 feet ahead of their vehicle.
I'm not claiming to be any sort of great driver, but this one does get to me. It's like people are staring at the back of the car ahead of them and that's it. No idea what's happening up ahead. (Or behind for that matter, as the rearview mirror is only for checking your face. :D)
Sponsored

jxosa

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vette, Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry, but this statement had me burst out laughing at my desk.

To observe "the average driver" operating their vehicle on public roadways is to observe an entirely un-skilled, un-knowledgeable population of individuals operating heavy machinery.

The way you worded your statement alllllllllllmost implies that John and Suzie Q Public have any f-ing idea how to alter their driving methodology based on the drivetrain of their vehicle (in dry, perfect weather), let alone in grip-limited situations.

The number of people who have AWD/4WD vehicles and have not one f-ing idea how to drive to maximize the function of the drivetrain their vehicle possesses is appalling and shameful.

Some of my absolute favorite things to observe on public roadways are:
  • People with an AWD/4WD vehicle and doing the following:
    • Braking mid-corner
    • Braking at corner exit after over-steering and feeling a miniscule amount of weight transfer back to the inside of the corner
    • Entering corners too cold
    • Constant brake tapping when hitting the landmine of puddles on Seattle roadways most of the year (minor hydroplane situation, usually only for 1 wheel at a time)
  • 80-90% of the time driver attention is at most, at MOST 50 feet ahead of their vehicle. You can observe this by watching at what distance people start hitting their brakes when they see a police car or suddenly notice the recovery vehicle lights that was visible 1.5 miles back.
  • STEER WITH THE THROTTLE! For the love of god, you steer with the throttle. Watching people saw away at the wheel or have their will shrink to nothing every time they have to actually use the steering wheel that has sat in front of them every second they have driven a car is hilarious. If your corner entry was that bad, do yourself a favor and steer into the first telephone pole you see instead of making a half dozen course corrections (generally combined with brake tapping with every time they course-correct into the apex due to feeling the weight rotate).
    • Obviously you're turning with the brakes if you're doing a low-grip max speed run such as rally. The person who can't steer with the throttle on public roads should avoid low-grip situations as if their life depends on it, because they sure as hell don't care about anybody else life.

The real kicker, almost 50% of car sales today are AWD/4wd vehicles.... Soooooooo, the theory that only "smart/skilled/educated" drivers choose AWD/4wd is laughable. 4A has a very defined purpose. You also won't be in 4A if you're offroad so no worry about that.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05/over-half-of-new-cars-sold-in-u-s-are-4wd-vehicles/#:~:text=The findings were published via,at 50.8 percent in 2020.

The fuel savings is not inconsequential taken fleet-wide, which Ford must do due to CAFE. So if you think that's a cop-out answer, write to your Senator and Congressperson.
Somebody needs a hobby

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Somebody needs a hobby
Can it be sensationalist claims? (admittedly, i'm almost as skilled as you are at that)

Yours was quite the doozy for suddenly stepping up on the soapbox of not having just spouted some utter bull$hit with your follow-up post.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.....The person who can't steer with the throttle on public roads should avoid low-grip situations as if their life depends on it, because they sure as hell don't care about anybody else life.....
Personally, driving a vehicle is one of my great joys in life, motorcycles, trucks, jeeps, SxS, cars, etc., it is all fun. The increased challenge of a low traction environment is just fun, like surfing, skiing, skate boarding, the "free" ride/energy you get just can't be beat. People drift on dry pavement at the cost of tires, you get the same thing without the tire wear in the winter, or sand, or mud.

That said, the greatest danger I face on winter roads is other drivers. I'm the guy that gets the hell away from the other vehicles on the road.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That said, the greatest danger I face on winter roads is other drivers. I'm the guy that gets the hell away from the other vehicles on the road.
On the way up to the local ski area, a friend of mine said it was quite strange to see the car next to him moving at the same speed, yet traveling sideways. This was right before said car careened into the side of his car.

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the way up to the local ski area, a friend of mine said it was quite strange to see the car next to him moving at the same speed, yet traveling sideways. This was right before said car careened into the side of his car.
Yep, I pass people quite often, I'm sure they think I'm the idiot. But I really don't care, after I pass them their inabilities and fears are no longer my problem.

What really gets me is when you see a whole line of cars going slow with their flashers on. It reminds me of a group of kindergarteners holding hands out on a field trip.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I definitely drive my STI, Rubicon, F150, and motorcycles in very different manners based on their properties and capabilities. I agree most people are poor drivers. Self driving cars can't get here fast enough for those people.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I didn't read the entire thing, but seems pretty interesting. Still didn't answer my main question............. Will my Black Diamond 4WD system get me over the mall planter strips?;)

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I didn't read the entire thing, but seems pretty interesting. Still didn't answer my main question............. Will my Black Diamond 4WD system get me over the mall planter strips?;)
With enough speed and velocity any trim level Bronco will get you over or through a mall planter strip!

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
With enough speed and velocity any trim level Bronco will get you over or through a mall planter strip!
Exactly what I needed to know. Long runway, full right pedal, equals success.

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dunno, you might need the full Sasquatch package for that, or at least lockers... :whistle:

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know how I stumbled upon this thread - but I read the entire thing and what a wild ride it was

Jalgieri

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I've been wondering if the 4A system in the bronco is the same as the Raptor. It sounds like a few of you have answered the question and that it is. If this is the case then this video could help explain how it works.

The New Ford Raptor Has Both 4WD & AWD!
The one thing that has not been stated unequivocally about 4A is whether there is differential action between the front and rear axles when in a turn. Yes, it appears to apply torque to the front axle when needed lie an AWD but there appears to be no differential action between the front and rear axles, something that absolutely exists on an AWD vehicle.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one thing that has not been stated unequivocally about 4A is whether there is differential action between the front and rear axles when in a turn. Yes, it appears to apply torque to the front axle when needed lie an AWD but there appears to be no differential action between the front and rear axles, something that absolutely exists on an AWD vehicle.
Well, I don't suspect that there's a differential between the axles in the transfer case, but rather a clutch to drive the front when needed. In a turn, they open the clutch. Or possibly feather it to allow some drive across while allowing slip. It'll all be in the programming.

Jalgieri

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I don't suspect that there's a differential between the axles in the transfer case, but rather a clutch to drive the front when needed. In a turn, they open the clutch. Or possibly feather it to allow some drive across while allowing slip. It'll all be in the programming.
If what you say is correct, " In a turn, they open the clutch. Or possibly feather it to allow some drive across while allowing slip." That would be differential action which is what I asked about. You DO NOT want the front end and rear end binding in the transfer case, that is not a good thing.
Sponsored