Sponsored

How bad is sasquatch really for family road tripper / ride quality?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
keep in mind the 35s are mistaken for knobby mud tires but they are like a hybrid on/off road tire that will be fine on road
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sasquatch doesn't add mud terrain tires. It adds Max Traction tires, so no negative there. The mud terrain bullet for the sasquatch is a typo and has been posted many times here.
In one corner you have Ford posting a description of the tires all over their website (not just in one place, but in every single instance that they refer to the tires) for the last four months and specifically calling them out as Mud Terrain tires, in the other a single marketing video that Goodyear puts out that says they like to refer to them as 'maximum traction' instead of mud terrain tires. They broad consensus is that they are hybrids, but it is very likely there will be trade-offs in rain and snow with them compared to the A/T tires. I would not count on there being 'no negative there.' Will depend on your intended use.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In one corner you have Ford posting a description of the tires all over their website (not just in one place, but in every single instance that they refer to the tires) for the last four months and specifically calling them out as Mud Terrain tires, in the other a single marketing video that Goodyear puts out that says they like to refer to them as 'maximum traction' instead of mud terrain tires. They broad consensus is that they are hybrids, but it is very likely there will be trade-offs in rain and snow with them compared to the A/T tires. I would not count on there being 'no negative there.' Will depend on your intended use.
I agree they're hybrids, but I'm thinking they won't be as squirrely in the rain and snow like normal mud terrains, so I don't see that as a negative. :)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s interesting, the comparison chart still shows the 35” tire as a mud terrain. From looking through the options, only the 285/70/17 are actual mid terrains. I know I prefer the AT 33” or 35”, but it is confusing.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a LOT of posts here from Jeep owners hating the Wrangler on long trips due to the Solid Front Axle , not the tires.
I spoke with a guy at work whose Jeep was on 35's, for a short haul daily driver, he enjoyed it a lot.

I would have serious doubts if somebody actually thought Ford was going to put out a vehicle that didn't drive well on the road. Especially with IFS...

Somebody in an earleir posts mentioned ride quality of offroady type vehicles, I'd say that vehicles whose suspension is designed to flex , like the Bronco, are usually on the soft side. Add in the tall cushy tires and it should soak up all those nasty road issue I hear about the roads out there. NOt bragging, Chicago-lands roads are all horrible too.
It's probably gonna lean hard on the exit ramps.... my guess. But I tend to hit them hard.

all 100% guesswork above^^^^^ LOL Only about a couple dozen probably actually know!

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
God damnit. B&P doesn’t subtotal the wheels in B&P for Sasquatch. My build #2 is 3200 more, not 2400 more than build #1. UGHH AMB is costing me a fortune

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are a LOT of posts here from Jeep owners hating the Wrangler on long trips due to the Solid Front Axle , not the tires.
I drove a Wrangler on a 2,400 + mile round trip from Missouri to Florida and back, with very minimal stops. Granted I only had 32" tires, but had no complaints about the SFA of the Wrangler. It handled just as well as the 16 Colorado did, when I did the same trip a year later.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It will be fine as a DD or long haul driver as long as you are not expecting a cushy, wallowy, quiet ride. Some folks expect that in their long distance vehicles, and that wouldn't be what a Bronco is (my expectation). I happen to like a ride that is not too soft / little more firm; quiet is nice but I've lived a long time with off road vehicles.

Just be honest with yourself about what kind of vehicle you are looking for / expecting. The Bronco will ride fine.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch. I'll probably put 5-7k miles a year on this car, so Im not incredibly concerned about mileage, but this WILL be the family hauler for road trips with 1-2 kids, and weekend cruiser...our second car is a small sedan, and will stay that way. So all kid duties will be on the Bronco, and the sedan being my wife's commuter car. (I commute via train).

After seeing AMB in person yesterday, i really want to make it work. I know I dont want 32s. Im down to two options:

Build #1 - Badlands Area 51, 2.7L lux, MGV, MIC top, stock 33s. MIC top and unpainted flares and grille all tie together

Build #2 - OBX AMB, leather, 2.7L lux, MIC top, sasquatch. Going sasquatch allows me to have unpainted bigger flares to tie in the MIC top, and black grille, painted mirrors and handles to bring together the AMB paint job. more badass stealth look. Unfortunately, it's going to cost me $2k+ over build #1, but it's the only way, personally, i could get AMB to work with a MIC top without 32s.

My original build, which is still somewhat on the table, is the OBX, non-sasquatch 2.7L lux in AMB, plus higher gearing. Toss the tires, keep the rims, get 33s. TBD on whether i need a slight lift. And given everything on the car is painted (included the flares), I would then get rid of the MIC top and get a mod black top (i have a day 1 ressie and wont wait). But after the outrageous cost of what I think a mod top will cost afterwards, that build ends up being $4k more than Build #1, and $2k more than Build #2. The numbers keep piling up, and i figure i might as well get an OBX sasquatch (build#2) for less, and not agonize over waiting for a mod top, and get a factory suspension setup for bigger tires, with unpainted flares to bring in the MIC top

And not for nothing, but two positives:

1. It seems like an OBX 2.7L sasquatch weighs less than a 2.7L Badlands on 33s, since it doesnt have the bash plates, steel bumper, etc, etc. Less things are locked out on B&P if that’s any indication. Which could be important if that means I have more room in GVWR for a roof cargo box. OBX also gets my running boards for the wife and power seats (but a worse interior color than BL).

2. The sasquatch wheels are really 34.4, not 35. So rounded, i should probably think of them as 34s, and not crazy big.
What sort of off-roading will you be doing? That is a key consideration to help decide - in terms of the tire size/design, suspension etc.

But overall for on-road, I'd stick with a set of all terrain tires, and not too large. I daily drove and off-roaded a mostly stock CJ-7 with no lift and 31" A/T tires. Relatively speaking that CJ-7 road good, and high speed highway driving was fine. The CJ road better than my current 2.5" lifted TJ on mud tires. (I only have the mud tires because they came with the vehicle.)

I realize some people buy mud tires for looks, but I would stay away from any aggressive tires unless the actual terrain called for it.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What sort of off-roading will you be doing? That is a key consideration to help decide - in terms of the tire size/design, suspension etc.

But overall for on-road, I'd stick with a set of all terrain tires, and not too large. I daily drove and off-roaded a mostly stock CJ-7 with no lift and 31" A/T tires. Relatively speaking that CJ-7 road good, and high speed highway driving was fine. The CJ road better than my current 2.5" lifted TJ on mud tires. (I only have the mud tires because they came with the vehicle.)

I realize some people buy mud tires for looks, but I would stay away from any aggressive tires unless the actual terrain called for it.
Little off roading planned but like the possibilities. This will be a highway family cruiser for vacations / kid duty / weekend fun car rolled into one. If it gets demoted due to lack of cargo / lack of payload for a cargo box, then it will be kicked over to strictly a fun car so I want it to be decently equipped for off-roading but nothing serious. I want some stance (no 32s), and I’m trying to figure out packaging and getting AMB to work with a MIC top and playing around with what trims have what parts painted etc. It’s either BL A51 or OBX AMB sasquatch. Or possibly BL AMB with painted mirrors, handles and a wildtrak grille swap.

Sponsored

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch. I'll probably put 5-7k miles a year on this car, so Im not incredibly concerned about mileage, but this WILL be the family hauler for road trips with 1-2 kids, and weekend cruiser...our second car is a small sedan, and will stay that way. So all kid duties will be on the Bronco, and the sedan being my wife's commuter car. (I commute via train).

After seeing AMB in person yesterday, i really want to make it work. I know I dont want 32s. Im down to two options:

Build #1 - Badlands Area 51, 2.7L lux, MGV, MIC top, stock 33s. MIC top and unpainted flares and grille all tie together

Build #2 - OBX AMB, leather, 2.7L lux, MIC top, sasquatch. Going sasquatch allows me to have unpainted bigger flares to tie in the MIC top, and black grille, painted mirrors and handles to bring together the AMB paint job. more badass stealth look. Unfortunately, it's going to cost me $2k+ over build #1, but it's the only way, personally, i could get AMB to work with a MIC top without 32s.

My original build, which is still somewhat on the table, is the OBX, non-sasquatch 2.7L lux in AMB, plus higher gearing. Toss the tires, keep the rims, get 33s. TBD on whether i need a slight lift. And given everything on the car is painted (included the flares), I would then get rid of the MIC top and get a mod black top (i have a day 1 ressie and wont wait). But after the outrageous cost of what I think a mod top will cost afterwards, that build ends up being $4k more than Build #1, and $2k more than Build #2. The numbers keep piling up, and i figure i might as well get an OBX sasquatch (build#2) for less, and not agonize over waiting for a mod top, and get a factory suspension setup for bigger tires, with unpainted flares to bring in the MIC top

And not for nothing, but two positives:

1. It seems like an OBX 2.7L sasquatch weighs less than a 2.7L Badlands on 33s, since it doesnt have the bash plates, steel bumper, etc, etc. Less things are locked out on B&P if that’s any indication. Which could be important if that means I have more room in GVWR for a roof cargo box. OBX also gets my running boards for the wife and power seats (but a worse interior color than BL).

2. The sasquatch wheels are really 34.4, not 35. So rounded, i should probably think of them as 34s, and not crazy big.
I think the answer we are all wanting is, if you get a Bronco script sticker will you put it on the train car you ride in?

I was big on OBX at first until I realized I need an outdoor hobby and want to get away on the weekends, so switched to Badlands. It is easier to clean and I won't have a heart attack if my kid spills something on the MGV seats.

If you are using your Bronco for city life the OBX with leather will suit you fine. Just may need some after market tires. If you plan on keeping it for a while....the possibilities are endless.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol. Build #1 is a freaking steal and works well with the MIC. If I love Area 51 in person I’ll call it a done deal. I pivoted to that build after the the mod top announcement. I was also 90% sure I would go that route until yesterday when I saw an AMB in person, and that video of the AMB OBX squatch. I think deep down that’s what I really wanted all along.
First of all, I can relate. Your potential choices are very close to mine as is your dilemma. "Final" decision on trim and colors and most of all the dreaded 33 vs 35 question plagues me daily. I saw a video on TFL about the new f-150 which was AMB and really pulled me away from a BL build in Cactus to a OBX in AMB. Which video were you referring to about an AMB OBX? I would like to check it out, and also, what are the differences if any between the photos of the AMB and actually seeing it in person? One last thought. If you get the 35s and really can not live with them, it might be possible to simply replace them at smoe point with 33s, but I do not know what is involved in doing that. Thanks and good luck on your decision.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Add in the tall cushy tires and it should soak up all those nasty road issue I hear about the roads out there.
Can you tell us more about the trade-off between taller tire size sidewalls, which are a load range C, D or E stiffnees vs a 33" tire in a load range SL with it's more compliant sidewall?

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch.
If you buy the OBX with the Sasquatch 35" tires, load range and sidewall stiffness is another consideration. The 35" Goodyear Territory Sasquatch tires are load range C so the stiffer sidewalls and heavier tires are going to be less forgiving for road comfort. There are only a handful of replacement 35" tires in load range C, all with large tread patterns, again, they will not be as comfortable. Use this link and filter on load range C for 35" availability, there are only 3:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

If you buy the Badlands with 33" tires instead of 35" tires choose a load range SL tire which is not available in a 35" These will be a lot better ride for the daily driver and road trips. Use this link and filter load range SL and you will see there are 14 to choose from:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R17.htm

Last edited:

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMHO, get the Sasquatch. The tires won’t be noisy for 10-20k miles anyhow, and when they get noisy just grab a set of 35” BFG A/Ts to replace them and it will ride pretty much like a stick outer banks.
Sponsored