Sponsored

How bad is sasquatch really for family road tripper / ride quality?

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If the GEN1 and GEN2 Raptor is any indication then Bronco on 35s will be fantastic on road. The GEN1 and GEN2 Raptors are the most comfortable vehicles I have ever owned. Long distance road trips are fantastic!

I think trucks that are optimize for off-road use feels great on road due to the more than average suspension travel.
I completely agree and echo your statement. I have been driving Raptors since they came out, always on 35's. GEN 1 was a great ride and improved from 2009 to 2010 to 2012 . . . then I got into the GEN 2, 2017, and it is phenomenal. If the Bronco is anything similar - which I am banking on - it will ride excellent on the Squatch . . . I am torn between BL (with SAS) and WT . . . with all confidence that the ride will be reasonable. It will also be my vehicle for trips, unless I haul my boat - then it will be the Raptor - and I fully expect an excellent ride with the SAS.
Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are a LOT of posts here from Jeep owners hating the Wrangler on long trips due to the Solid Front Axle , not the tires.
I spoke with a guy at work whose Jeep was on 35's, for a short haul daily driver, he enjoyed it a lot.

I would have serious doubts if somebody actually thought Ford was going to put out a vehicle that didn't drive well on the road. Especially with IFS...

Somebody in an earleir posts mentioned ride quality of offroady type vehicles, I'd say that vehicles whose suspension is designed to flex , like the Bronco, are usually on the soft side. Add in the tall cushy tires and it should soak up all those nasty road issue I hear about the roads out there. NOt bragging, Chicago-lands roads are all horrible too.
It's probably gonna lean hard on the exit ramps.... my guess. But I tend to hit them hard.

all 100% guesswork above^^^^^ LOL Only about a couple dozen probably actually know!
It all depends on if you built your Jeep well or half assed it and went cheap. I’ve ridden in Jeeps which were scary and some which were smooth and comfortable. I put a top suspension lift on mine (did all the work myself) and ran load C Goodyear Duratracs and it was great And smooth but also very capabale (we ran Colorado, Moab and the Rubicon trail). Drove this thing from Pittsburgh to SanFrancisco and all the off road spots in between. Was great and no issues and never felt it wasnt good, safe or comfortable.

I’m also excited to get my Bronco as I bet it will be even better on the road.

UncleBud

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Trailboss 1973 bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had a couple vehicles I've put 35s on. What I've come to notice is that if it drives like garbage with small tires it'll drive like garbage with big tires. Our jeep was a good example of that. Fun vehicle but my God it's such a freaking boat sale in the wind. As far as trucks that I've put bigger tires on only difference I really noticed was slower acceleration and couldn't go as fast around big sweeping turns (granted that's not driving slow either)

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Don’t overthink it, squatch life is the only way.

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going with the Badlands but I might actually sell the 33s and but 35" AT tires. You can get 285 or 315 tires. I don't have a need for mud terrain tires, this will be a daily driver and it rains really hard every day in the summer time in south FL s9 I don't want to worry about wet traction.

Sponsored

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am going with the Badlands but I might actually sell the 33s and but 35" AT tires. You can get 285 or 315 tires. I don't have a need for mud terrain tires, this will be a daily driver and it rains really hard every day in the summer time in south FL s9 I don't want to worry about wet traction.
AT’s tend to be a lot quieter, too. (Increasingly relevant when top and/or doors come off.) They make a lot of sense for a lot of folks.

ozzman469

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For family road trips, I don't think the factory suspension or tire size is going to dictate the comfortability. It will do with the how comfortable the seats are. I had a JKU and the rear seats were horrible for long trips for those who sat in the rear, even after I installed some spacers to recline it back some.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Get the SQUATCH you’ll be good. The package will be setup for the 35s- gearing, brakes etc.... you might get some road noise from the tires at high speeds but it’s barely noticeable.

If you don’t like 35s then sell them and swap to ATs.

The market place will be flooded with Bronco wheels/tires very soon.

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch. I'll probably put 5-7k miles a year on this car, so Im not incredibly concerned about mileage, but this WILL be the family hauler for road trips with 1-2 kids, and weekend cruiser...our second car is a small sedan, and will stay that way. So all kid duties will be on the Bronco, and the sedan being my wife's commuter car. (I commute via train).

After seeing AMB in person yesterday, i really want to make it work. I know I dont want 32s. Im down to two options:

Build #1 - Badlands Area 51, 2.7L lux, MGV, MIC top, stock 33s. MIC top and unpainted flares and grille all tie together

Build #2 - OBX AMB, leather, 2.7L lux, MIC top, sasquatch. Going sasquatch allows me to have unpainted bigger flares to tie in the MIC top, and black grille, painted mirrors and handles to bring together the AMB paint job. more badass stealth look. Unfortunately, it's going to cost me $2k+ over build #1, but it's the only way, personally, i could get AMB to work with a MIC top without 32s.

My original build, which is still somewhat on the table, is the OBX, non-sasquatch 2.7L lux in AMB, plus higher gearing. Toss the tires, keep the rims, get 33s. TBD on whether i need a slight lift. And given everything on the car is painted (included the flares), I would then get rid of the MIC top and get a mod black top (i have a day 1 ressie and wont wait). But after the outrageous cost of what I think a mod top will cost afterwards, that build ends up being $4k more than Build #1, and $2k more than Build #2. The numbers keep piling up, and i figure i might as well get an OBX sasquatch (build#2) for less, and not agonize over waiting for a mod top, and get a factory suspension setup for bigger tires, with unpainted flares to bring in the MIC top

And not for nothing, but two positives:

1. It seems like an OBX 2.7L sasquatch weighs less than a 2.7L Badlands on 33s, since it doesnt have the bash plates, steel bumper, etc, etc. Less things are locked out on B&P if that’s any indication. Which could be important if that means I have more room in GVWR for a roof cargo box. OBX also gets my running boards for the wife and power seats (but a worse interior color than BL).

2. The sasquatch wheels are really 34.4, not 35. So rounded, i should probably think of them as 34s, and not crazy big.
I am basically struggling with the same two builds. I also want AMB, but my wife wants a light color...and she is probably right as dark colors suck to maintain. She is only 5’4” (the Bronco is gonna be her daily) and she is worried about getting into a Sasquatched Bronco on a daily basis. We are also getting it for a family mover with the intentions of taking it on road trips to National Parks, from IL.

I have 34’s (actually slightly bigger than 34’s) on my F150 with a slight lift and she hates getting into the truck and doesn’t want to have the same experience with the Bronco. For that reason alone I am likely going Badlands, since it will be a little shorter.

I do have a vehicle with larger tires, I would say the only draw backs are drop in mpg’s and the tires I am running are 10 ply LT tires, the ride is a little rougher. But it is fine at highway speeds with no worries.

Inmtns

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is probably a dumb question but what is AMB
Thanks

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go Sasquatch and you can put this on! Lol

D991B3CC-BBAB-4500-AEE8-00581F9B9909.jpeg

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch. I'll probably put 5-7k miles a year on this car, so Im not incredibly concerned about mileage, but this WILL be the family hauler for road trips with 1-2 kids, and weekend cruiser...our second car is a small sedan, and will stay that way. So all kid duties will be on the Bronco, and the sedan being my wife's commuter car. (I commute via train).

After seeing AMB in person yesterday, i really want to make it work. I know I dont want 32s. Im down to two options:

Build #1 - Badlands Area 51, 2.7L lux, MGV, MIC top, stock 33s. MIC top and unpainted flares and grille all tie together

Build #2 - OBX AMB, leather, 2.7L lux, MIC top, sasquatch. Going sasquatch allows me to have unpainted bigger flares to tie in the MIC top, and black grille, painted mirrors and handles to bring together the AMB paint job. more badass stealth look. Unfortunately, it's going to cost me $2k+ over build #1, but it's the only way, personally, i could get AMB to work with a MIC top without 32s.

My original build, which is still somewhat on the table, is the OBX, non-sasquatch 2.7L lux in AMB, plus higher gearing. Toss the tires, keep the rims, get 33s. TBD on whether i need a slight lift. And given everything on the car is painted (included the flares), I would then get rid of the MIC top and get a mod black top (i have a day 1 ressie and wont wait). But after the outrageous cost of what I think a mod top will cost afterwards, that build ends up being $4k more than Build #1, and $2k more than Build #2. The numbers keep piling up, and i figure i might as well get an OBX sasquatch (build#2) for less, and not agonize over waiting for a mod top, and get a factory suspension setup for bigger tires, with unpainted flares to bring in the MIC top

And not for nothing, but two positives:

1. It seems like an OBX 2.7L sasquatch weighs less than a 2.7L Badlands on 33s, since it doesnt have the bash plates, steel bumper, etc, etc. Less things are locked out on B&P if that’s any indication. Which could be important if that means I have more room in GVWR for a roof cargo box. OBX also gets my running boards for the wife and power seats (but a worse interior color than BL).

2. The sasquatch wheels are really 34.4, not 35. So rounded, i should probably think of them as 34s, and not crazy big.
Your question is totally subjective, but physics says...

33" tires will handle better on road than 35s. 33s will accelerate quicker, brake faster and turn more responsively (slalom). There is no disputing these truths.

I'm leaning towards Badlands on 33s because of the above as I know I'll prefer the ride on the highway over 35s. 35s will take me down the road no problem, but there will be a noticeable difference.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your question is totally subjective, but physics says...

33" tires will handle better on road than 35s. 33s will accelerate quicker, brake faster and turn more responsively (slalom). There is no disputing these truths.

I'm leaning towards Badlands on 33s because of the above as I know I'll prefer the ride on the highway over 35s. 35s will take me down the road no problem, but there will be a noticeable difference.
Acceleration for the most part is gearing, the wrong gearing can make 27” tires miserably slow to drive on. And the right gearing can make 42” tires peppy and fun.

33s and 4.46 will probably feel slower than 35s and 4.70s. Obviously the 35s will ride better than 33s on the same size rim by nature of having more sidewall to cushion the ride.

You lose a little handling and braking but I’ve daily driven 37s for many years and along with 3/4 ton brakes and the right gearing the truck is quite comfortable and at home cruising at 80MPH.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP here - this thread was started in November, which feels like a life time ago in terms of the roll-out. We decided on the sasquatch. Just feels too special to pass up. And I have a Day 1 reservation, and a low allocation number. So in my mind, I might as well submit the order and see what happens. Seems silly not to try....If I had a Day 2 reservation I would be thinking - man, if I had an earlier reservation, I would totally try to sneak in the sasquatch package before the supply constraints start building up
Sponsored