Sponsored

How can the 2-door be a limiting factor for MY21?

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know “COVID” is an excuse for everything these days but come on man!
Order banks opened on July 13th and they had had 30-35% of reservations in the first 3 days. That’s a high enough sample to determine the take rate of the 2-door. Over 6 months later and production models aren’t rolling off the line yet, they had plenty of time to adjust production. Out of all the poor decisions they made for this debut this is the one that I can’t find an excuse for.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Probably a part delay that's specific to the 2DR. Maybe the top, door trim, or that mysterious bottle opener?

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Long term planning. The initial orders will be heavier on 2-doors thanks to enthusiasts. After that, the 4-door will far outpace it in demand. I'm guessing they just did not invest in the tooling to make as many 2-doors.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any number of suppliers could be facing COVID related difficulties in making up the difference in the new projected mix. There's a whole lot of parts that change going from a 2-door to a 4-door. I'd be willing to bet the number of parts that change going from a 2-door to a 4-door is close to if not more than going from a Base to a First Edition of the same door count.

OP
OP
Atomicdog

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Long term planning. The initial orders will be heavier on 2-doors thanks to enthusiasts. After that, the 4-door will far outpace it in demand. I'm guessing they just did not invest in the tooling to make as many 2-doors.
Being a layperson to auto production, a 9 month lead time (April production?) seems like enough time to pivot.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because they underestimated how many people would want a 2-door and still estimate that the percentage of Bronco buyers who opt for the 2-door will be lower in the future.

OP
OP
Atomicdog

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any number of suppliers could be facing COVID related difficulties in making up the difference in the new projected mix. There's a whole lot of parts that change going from a 2-door to a 4-door. I'd be willing to bet the number of parts that change going from a 2-door to a 4-door is close to if not more than going from a Base to a First Edition of the same door count.
Interesting. Outside of a few trim pieces I can’t think of what the differences are between the 2 and 4. What other general items are you thinking?
Edit to add: yes I know the door is longer, hence the trim pieces.

Broncie

Raptor
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I honestly think it's due to the simple fact that they have fewer 2 door Bronco supplies compared to 4 door (which is intended since general sales of a 2 door vs 4 door truck are much lower). Probably just are covering their butt's in case more enthusiasts this year opt for the 2 door than expected, but I really don't see it being much of an issue. Order what you want!

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the real answer

Sponsored
OP
OP
Atomicdog

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is probably the correct answer but it’s also boring and lacks bitching. I’ll be ignoring it.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had assumed it was the MIC tops, especially after it was revealed that getting a soft top only doesn't include the wiring/plumbing for wipers/cleaning fluid. That may have caused a spike in MIC tops for people ordering 4-door Broncos who planned to get a black or white top later, but didn't realize that unless they ordered the MIC top now (to avoid the delay with the black or white top), they would have to add the plumbing/wiring later. This would pull resources away from the 2-door MIC tops. Of course, then they came out with "ordering two tops could delay your order," so who knows?

OP
OP
Atomicdog

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had assumed it was the MIC tops, especially after it was revealed that getting a soft top only doesn't include the wiring/plumbing for wipers/cleaning fluid. That may have caused a spike in MIC tops for people ordering 4-door Broncos who planned to get a black or white top later, but didn't realize that unless they ordered the MIC top now (to avoid the delay with the black or white top), they would have to add the plumbing/wiring later. Of course, then they came out with "ordering two tops could delay your order," so who knows?
I may be wrong but I thought the front panels and rear clamshell were the same and the difference was in the middle panel.

Edit to add: I was very wrong about this sjp was correct as illustrated by ZackDanger on the next page

Last edited:

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I may be wrong but I thought the front panels and rear clamshell were the same and the difference was in the middle panel.
Yeah, it could be. Funny, while you were typing this I was editing my post to note that this demand would pull resources from 2-door MIC top production. In other words, they aren't going to have enough MIC tops for 2-door and 4-door Broncos to go around.
Sponsored