How come we haven't seen a snorkel yet??

AcesandEights

Badlands
First Name
Ace!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 or 2017 Ford
It's for both. It was traditionally marketed as a water crossing must-have, but most that need/use a snorkel find it provides a benefit in especially dusty conditions.

For gas engines, it's a little less effective than diesel, but works to raise the air intake for water crossings. It also allows for cleaner/cooler air.

Advertisement

JesseS

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Clubs

I am no expert but isn't the snorkel for water thing kind of a myth? I thought it was for desert running to get clear air into the engine from higher up, away from the dust you kick up.
It must be, with a aprox 33" safe fording depth the electronics will be flooded before you suck water, besides, if it is that deep you will be floating down stream. :)

Coldsmoke

Big Bend
First Name
Knuckles
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
With all the electronics both in the engine bay and the interior, the last thing I would do is submerge the Bronco more than the Ford specified depth of 33".
I have a jet boat that has similar electronics on the dash to a modern vehicle as well as computer controlled engines and despite them being sealed in waterproof packaging they are still susceptible to moisture and water issues. It's the only regret I have with that boat & it's been a PIA.
IMHO, take the Bronco in deeper water and you'll regret doing so and your bitching about it to Ford will fall on deaf ears since your warranty will be voided. Food for thought.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW X3 2018 BMW 440i Soon: 21/22 Bronco 2DR
Clubs

I am no expert but isn't the snorkel for water thing kind of a myth? I thought it was for desert running to get clear air into the engine from higher up, away from the dust you kick up.
It is mostly for dust and sand. However, running through deep water it gives a little more sense of security.

The vehicle is already built to ford water, so a snorkel is extra.

orion

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
You guys worried about electronics need to watch 4WD 24-7 on YouTube. They cross rivers that go over the hood! And no, they don't float, maybe because there's are loaded down pretty good, but I wouldn't be worried about the Bronco floating!

Channel: https://youtube.com/c/4WD247

3Dogs

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
If you put a snorkel on your $50K Bronco, promise me you’ll do this and take a video!

Advertisement

Advertisement