Sponsored

How concerned should I really be to venture deep into remote locations?

Rootdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From the alternator, fuel pump and tie rod issues, how concerned should I really be to venture deep into remote locations. I have a 2.7 SAS Outer Banks with zero issues after 4,500 miles. I love the Bronco and am looking forward to some offroad adventures starting in the spring but forums and YouTube videos have me a little concerned. Iā€™m going anyways, just curious what everyone thinks?
Sponsored

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Itā€™s always smart to off-road with a buddy especially in remote areas. Go for it, this is what your Bronco is made for and why you bought it. Shit happens, deal with it when it happens. I use the hell out of ours and donā€™t think twice about going out

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the same build (non SAS) with just under 10K miles. I have only been off road a few times, nothing to crazy. Lots of snow driving though. No problems at all so far. There is a tie rod kit for sale on here. I think I got it from TD Distributing. I hope I never need it, but it's worth the piece of mind. Other than that I guess it comes down to being prepared for anything. Food, water, radio, good first aid kit. If something goes wrong with the Bronco you'll likely be able to get towed out in a fairly short amount of time.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would personally hold the same level of concern as you have with other vehicles. In generalā€¦ always over-prepare and hope you over-prepared for nothing.

If you are wondering if there is some fundamental flaw in the Bronco to be concerned aboutā€¦ I personally think the answer is ā€œNoā€. At the same time, any time you off-road or modify a vehicle beyond the factory configuration there is a risk of something breaking.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may get struck by lightning walking out your door. You may get hit by a bus crossing the street.

CAN'T LIVE YOUR LIFE IN FEAR BRO.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Living ainā€™t for the faint of heart. Do yourself a favor and spend less time on YouTube and more time doing stuff. I wonder how some of you would have survived even 30 years ago.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t think Iā€™d be overly cautious. Just be prepared. I always carry a Sat phone and an emergency locator especially if you're going solo.
Always do this, and letting someone know when you plan to return. A lot of preventable deaths happen because of exposure/getting lost/injured while in the wilderness alone.

OP
OP

Rootdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You may get struck by lightning walking out your door. You may get hit by a bus crossing the street.

CAN'T LIVE YOUR LIFE IN FEAR BRO.
Living ainā€™t for the faint of heart. Do yourself a favor and spend less time on YouTube and more time doing stuff. I wonder how some of you would have survived even 30 years ago.
Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to mention, no oneā€™s living in fear or spending days inside on YouTube. Itā€™s a new truck to me but not my 1st. Thereā€™s a lot of information on this forum, much of it in regards to common mechanical issues that people have experienced. Any info is much appreciated

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to mention, no oneā€™s living in fear or spending days inside on YouTube. Itā€™s a new truck to me but not my 1st. Thereā€™s a lot of information on this forum, much of it in regards to common mechanical issues that people have experienced. Any info is much appreciated
Ok, I'll address your question: The answer is zero, worry zero about taking your Bronco out and enjoying it.

While there seems to be a lot of issues reported here, really per volume the issues probably aren't too far off from any other 1st gen (or complete model redesign) vehicle out there. They are mostly isolated issues. A few bad fuel pumps/modules, a few bad engines, a few alternators didn't like getting wet. Certainly not widespread enough to completely lose trust in the Bronco out on the trails.

I wheel the hell out of my Bronco, haven't had a major issue.

MAYBE be careful fording a river...

If you upgrade to 37's you probably need to address the steering, that's the only thing I would really worry about.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From the alternator, fuel pump and tie rod issues, how concerned should I really be to venture deep into remote locations. I have a 2.7 SAS Outer Banks with zero issues after 4,500 miles. I love the Bronco and am looking forward to some offroad adventures starting in the spring but forums and YouTube videos have me a little concerned. Iā€™m going anyways, just curious what everyone thinks?
You'll be fine. Don't go crazy though.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am much more cautious about what I try to drive over/through when alone vs when wheeling in a group. As others have said, just be prepared for some impromptu camping if things go sideways.

Was playing in the snow near Heber a couple of weeks ago and decided to turn around rather than attempt the 1ft+ snow on the forest road I was on. Had we been in a group, I would have just plowed on since we were about 3 miles from the highway.

The ironic part of it was that ditches/dropoffs are really hard to spot in snow drifts, so turning around was the most challenging part of the entire day. Pulled forward and ker-thunk, front frame rails on the snow. Front locker combined with a little bit or run in reverse saved our butts. Not before having a little fun with the wife first. I had her truly convinced we needed to walk to the road for a brief minute :LOL:

I've now driven 2 yellow broncos (OK 1 yellow and 1 Cyber Orange) into ditches in the snow. Broncos - 2, ditches 0!

This is why I live where there is no snow. Humans should not have to live in that crap - I get all I need with a 2 hour drive up north.

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm always prepared with backpacking gear and also the physical fitness to hike 15-20 miles per day, even in snow, and even with decent elevation change, and also camp out if necessary.

So sure, breaking down in the middle of nowhere would suck, but if I had to hike 100 miles over 5-6 days to safety, I know I could do so. I'd have the clothing, tent, sleeping bag, food, and ultralight backpacking gear etc. to survive if my vehicle broke down.

Unless I'm injured of course - that's a different story. Then you'd want some sort of satellite messenger, or Starlink, or maybe Ford's roadside assistance if it works via satellite (i dunno).

So no, I don't worry about anything while I'm out there.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My sentiments exactly. 40 years ago we were doing trips 10-15 days long into the Canadian/MN BWCA wilderness with just tents, some food, and canoe paddles and our feet to move us 20+ miles each day. Navigation was with paper maps and a compass and obviously cell/sat phones were not options. Lake water was the only beverage and dinner was fish and lots of freeze dried food.

Now when Iā€™m off-road or off-shore in the Gulf of Mexico on my boat I have GPS, radios, Sat phones, UV water filters, etc. Weā€™ve all become spoiled and soft. Get out there and enjoy the outdoors. :)
Sponsored