Sponsored

How concerned should I really be to venture deep into remote locations?

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Speaking from experience…….

I was out on a forest service road. Bronco got stuck in a snow bank, no big deal. Aired down, 4L, dug it out……then driving back my transmission started making a horrible noise. We were lucky it was still driveable so we were able to get to a main road and call for a tow. Long story short my transfer case and front diff are toast. This wasn’t the first time I’ve been in a remote no cell zone with the Bronco and it won’t be my last.

However, I won’t be going anywhere remote without my garmin, dehydrated food, recovery gear, and extra water. But in all honestly no one should be going anywhere remote without all that anyways.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and you’ll be fine. But there’s no glory in having less, and I can’t strongly enough recommend a satellite phone or GPS.
Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We have become so overly reliant on technology that we've lost basic skills. Carry paper quad maps of your area and a compass and some basic survival gear. Generally speaking, "out there" is rarely more than a half day hike from some kind of civilization. AK and CA are exceptions and those increase the necessary preparation. Trust me, I have been about as out there as you can get in the US, on foot. Obviously if there's a reason you can't hike that far more caution is advisable.

As to the Bronco, statistically speaking it is no more or less reliable than any other rig. With that said, you can break anything. Drive smart, be prepared and have fun.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We try to go to places where we see few people, but even at that we'll usually see a vehicle or two a day minimum. That said always wear clothing appropriate for the possible exterior weather conditions (amazing how many people only have what's comfy in their rig). Bring a basic tool kit, self recovery gear water, first aid, a pack with some basic survival gear and your brain. If your in trouble stay with you rig if you can. Since I retired I venture out more by myself so I got a satellite locator.
Like I say, most probably someone will come along.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like some real old Roman guy once said, “ fortune favors the bold”. BTW, don’t ever watch the movie “ Deliverance”. LOL.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're really going out there, carry at least 3 days of food, but remember more food means you need more water, so having a source of water is crucial.

Filters are excellent, and if you're by moving water you can use propeller generators to charge electronics. Bring a locator, satellite phone, weather radio, and a way to power/recharge them; some have crank-powered versions.

You should always have multiple, thin layers of GOOD outdoor clothing, there really is a difference with going for the fancier fabrics and more innovative products, and don't forget socks, head coverings, and gloves.

Recovery gear and knowing how to use it is key. Have extra fuel, quality fire starters, lightweight emergency wraps, and it won't hurt to have some kind of very simple and quick shelter.

A drone is extremely useful when lost, you can pop it up into the air for a minute or two, get your bird's eye view and your bearings, and be on your way.

I'd also recommend some kind of gun, especially based on local wildlife. 10mm, .44Mag, .454 Casull, and other artillery might be what you need if you're out in wild country, typical pistols don't really have the stopping power. Sure, the bear might die, but if they mauled you 2 minutes ago that doesn't mean anything.

Last, know about where you are going, what is around there, what the weather is supposed to be, and what direction the outs are.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am working on getting a hiking pack set up with everything, that way I can hike out or camp. I also take enough beer to stay properly intoxicated.

I have been looking at satellite phones for a while, I do a lot of work in remote areas and keep saying I need one.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am working on getting a hiking pack set up with everything, that way I can hike out or camp. I also take enough beer to stay properly intoxicated.

I have been looking at satellite phones for a while, I do a lot of work in remote areas and keep saying I need one.

I spend a lot of time in poor cell areas that don't allow calls and only sometime texts. Got the WeBoost and it definitely helps in those areas to make calls without dropping them. For the areas with no cell coverage, I have a Garmin Inreach Messenger so I can text over the satellite. I'd prefer to be completely off the grid and not reachable, but my wife has other ideas.

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In the event of bear attack play dead.

It will be good practice for a few minutes later when you actually die !! :ROFLMAO:

A 44 mag will stop a bear before he mauls you to death if you can keep your cool and make a good shot. Not easy to do I'd reckon if its a real tight spot.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spend a lot of time in poor cell areas that don't allow calls and only sometime texts. Got the WeBoost and it definitely helps in those areas to make calls without dropping them. For the areas with no cell coverage, I have a Garmin Inreach Messenger so I can text over the satellite. I'd prefer to be completely off the grid and not reachable, but my wife has other ideas.
My reservation is the monthly fee, I am thinking of getting a Zoleo one but $26-30 a month to just track my movement 3-4 days a month is high. Might just use it as LoJack in the bronco for shits and giggles.

Sponsored

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

From the alternator, fuel pump and tie rod issues, how concerned should I really be to venture deep into remote locations. I have a 2.7 SAS Outer Banks with zero issues after 4,500 miles. I love the Bronco and am looking forward to some offroad adventures starting in the spring but forums and YouTube videos have me a little concerned. I’m going anyways, just curious what everyone thinks?

First, I would watch all epiosodes of survivor man, then.... but seriously, Bronco is exceptional.... Go have an adventure !!!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I off-road solo in remote areas. That’s what I bought the Bronco for.

I use a Garmin InReach Mini satélite communicator. There are a couple other brands now. I bought it for geriatric backpacking several years ago. Works great! I can send texts to my wife with it through my iPhone. I believe they cost around $350 with a suspendible monthly subscription of around $35. Not using it, suspend the subscription.

Take others advice on this forum. I bring a LOT of water, and extra food, recovery gear and some tools. Solar panel and power station keep my beer cold, and a GooLoo jump starter in case I screw up and run the battery dead.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Two words: “Self Recovery”

I never venture too far off the beaten path solo unless I’m equipped with a winch. If you don’t have one - a good ol’ fashioned come-along can absolutely save your life.

And don’t forget a basic toolkit.

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Have at least your plastic gas tank protected like me. Check the last video.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

“Damn The Torpedoes “ Send It!