How difficult is it to install aftermarket bumpers?

gentlemanbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was a thread previously on the difficulty of installing the modular front bumper and it seemed like a real pain, possibly because of the skid plates.
Are all aftermarket bumpers going to be this difficult to install? Just curious.
Advertisement

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Kia, sadly.
Bronco
First Edition
There was a thread previously on the difficulty of installing the modular front bumper and it seemed like a real pain, possibly because of the skid plates.
Are all aftermarket bumpers going to be this difficult to install? Just curious.

Cant imagine all of the aftermarket options would be a pain and require much. Keep in mind, adding a winch, lightbar etc... is only going to complicate things. I know as well on these trucks, the intercooler location could play a role as well.

TX_Bronco77

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

Manhandling the sheer weight of "offroad" bumpers is the hard part.
That was my first thought, install wouldn't be that bad but getting in place to tighten everything would.

goalie

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Bronco
Badlands
Depends on who makes them in my experience. On my jeeps I've had some that go on pretty easily, exluding the weight, which is always something to keep in mind. I've also has some be a total nightmare (looking at you smittybuilt). One I had to take to my friends machine shop and heavily modify/weld parts of it together (still looking at you smittybuilt, never again). On even the best ones, keep weight in mind, especially once you add a winch.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Well... that depends.

If you get a direct bolt-on bumper—it is super easy—minus the part where you feel like you need 6 hands actually put it on.

But sometimes bumpers require fabrication work to assemble, sometimes they require you to cut into the factory body panels or skid plates. Sometimes you have to weld on new mount points to the frame, etc. etc.

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250. Ford Edge, 87 Bronco II
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Installed Best Top Hard Rock Series bumpers on my 06 Rubicon. Was not hard, If you know someone with a transmission jack helps with the weight

SolidSnake

Base
First Name
Dante
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Bronco
Base
Clubs

many of the bumpers say it's a direct bolt on so I am guessing they can't be that difficult. I was wondering this myself since I eventually want to replace my rear bumper

Advertisement

Advertisement