Sponsored

How difficult is it to install aftermarket bumpers?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There was a thread previously on the difficulty of installing the modular front bumper and it seemed like a real pain, possibly because of the skid plates.
Are all aftermarket bumpers going to be this difficult to install? Just curious.
Sponsored

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There was a thread previously on the difficulty of installing the modular front bumper and it seemed like a real pain, possibly because of the skid plates.
Are all aftermarket bumpers going to be this difficult to install? Just curious.

Cant imagine all of the aftermarket options would be a pain and require much. Keep in mind, adding a winch, lightbar etc... is only going to complicate things. I know as well on these trucks, the intercooler location could play a role as well.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Manhandling the sheer weight of "offroad" bumpers is the hard part.
That was my first thought, install wouldn't be that bad but getting in place to tighten everything would.

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on who makes them in my experience. On my jeeps I've had some that go on pretty easily, exluding the weight, which is always something to keep in mind. I've also has some be a total nightmare (looking at you smittybuilt). One I had to take to my friends machine shop and heavily modify/weld parts of it together (still looking at you smittybuilt, never again). On even the best ones, keep weight in mind, especially once you add a winch.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well... that depends.

If you get a direct bolt-on bumper—it is super easy—minus the part where you feel like you need 6 hands actually put it on.

But sometimes bumpers require fabrication work to assemble, sometimes they require you to cut into the factory body panels or skid plates. Sometimes you have to weld on new mount points to the frame, etc. etc.

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed Best Top Hard Rock Series bumpers on my 06 Rubicon. Was not hard, If you know someone with a transmission jack helps with the weight

SolidSnake

Base
First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

many of the bumpers say it's a direct bolt on so I am guessing they can't be that difficult. I was wondering this myself since I eventually want to replace my rear bumper

mmcsween21

Base
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Am i crazy to think that the Modular Bumper option is the best deal at only $825 upgrade on the order? Seems like min rate is going to be near $1300 for after market.....which i guess is essentially a $500 convenience fee to not slow your order down by another year?

jbacchi70

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, 1968 Plymouth Road Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Am i crazy to think that the Modular Bumper option is the best deal at only $825 upgrade on the order? Seems like min rate is going to be near $1300 for after-market.....which i guess is essentially a $500 convenience fee to not slow your order down by another year?
No, not crazy, and I feel the same way. I kick myself every day for not upgrading to the mod bumper. I had NO IDEA how expensive the after-market bumpers would be, and I still think the factory steel looks the best. The only after-market bumper I like at this time is the DV8 - which is actually affordable.
https://dv8offroad.com/products/oe-...w-profile-front-bumper?variant=39546931904583

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It is going to vary from one brand to another. I don't see the Bronco requiring any body trimming for aftermarket bumpers. Some may requiring the drilling of holes for extra mounting points. I have done a few ARB fronts and Expedition-1 rears solo. The weight is manageable but would certainly be easier with another set of hands. Nothing I would consider as a difficult project.

zane8stacks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
as others have said its more awkward than difficult. for me i had a harder time installing my lightbar and winch to the bumper as i had to modify to fit my knock off light bar. i also installed lightbar first and then couldnt reach back bolts of winch to torque so i had to uninstall light bar and go again.

Actually getting the bumper on the bronco was 2 people on each side holding in place, and 2 people in front lifting level and reaching through bumper to start threading bolts. the bumper wasnt even that heavy at 160ish with winch installed. it was just an awkward weight, and making sure hands werent in the way when lining it up.

if you are relocating ACC with a new bumper i would set aside a good portion of the day to do it ans that is what slowed me down the most.
Sponsored