Sponsored

How do you guys think MGV will hold up over Time VS Leather ? ? ? ?

OP
OP
2fast4u

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Would love to see if dog hair sticks to the MGV? That's one good thing with leather.
Sponsored

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The law of probability says that the marine grade vinyl will be superior to Ford leather. Look at the pictures of pre-production Broncos with leather, the seats are already wrinkled and the trucks are, what, a month old with a couple hundred miles?

Ford leather is awful stuff, like those $249 'leather' recliners you can buy at Target.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It is a concern... The Leather/vinyl mix (which is not MGV) seems like it might start to break down and either crack, flake, or wrinkle in time.

I'm sure it has come a long ways, but we are talking about a company that is not painting axles, leaving out hard top and fog light wiring, excluding cup holders, and who knows what else to save a little money.

To think they are using the best leather/vinyl for their seats is .... Well you decide but I'm taking a best guess with what I know.
There's a lot to break down. Note I added some spaces between your arguments. It's the "Enter" button, try it.

1. What are you talking about? Leather/vinyl mix?
    1. There are no Bronco models which are using a pairing of leather and vinyl surfaces, it's all or nothing.
    2. You also don't seem to understand what materials Marine Grade Vinyl is made of. I'll save myself the time and let you look that up yourself.

2. There is no reason to paint cast pumpkins or axle carriers. This has been consistent and valid since the 1940's when they tweaked with the metallurgy to change the oxide content. I posted information about this on the thread which you're referencing, and will let you go back to that thread to read-up and learn more about it.

3. Hard tops are missing? That's so strange. I ordered my Bronco without any top options of any kind and it's a hard top. Who knew!

4. No reason to have fog light wiring to bumpers which will be swapped out or don't have them to begin with. Order fog lights get the wiring. Don't order fog lights, don't get the wiring.... Perhaps fog light wiring is part of the package you're paying for? Either way, 95% of buyers aren't' paying for something they won't use, that's a bonus.

5. Cup holders: You're driving a car, not starting a mobile beverage delivery company. The vehicle has cup holders that hold cups. That you were expecting the below discredits your own argument about cost savings.

Ford Bronco How do you guys think MGV will hold up over Time VS Leather ? ? ? ? BN-WW193_backgr_12U_20180105121318[1]

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m going to place my bet on leather. I was at Super Cel East and personally touched and saw both the leather and MGV and Iā€™m choosing leather. Donā€™t get me wrong, the MGV is nice but im going leather because

1) the MGV is definitely thinner than the leather. We have a large dog and I feel the leather wonā€™t be as apt to puncture as the MGV. But yes, weā€™ll put a cover on the back seat when riding the dog around.
2) the MGV is grey (even though the color is called black onyx, itā€™s really grey, not black). Whereas the leather is black and I want the black interior.
3) MGV is softer/flexible and will stretch at the seams. we have a boat and the stitching does tend to pull and stretch at the seams and where there is more weight, they actually start to rip over time (along the sewing line)
4) I want the carpet as it generally makes the interior look/feel nicer than wash out floor (and the passive drain plugs ARE under the carpet if I need them).
5) Carpet will also after more sound deadening than wash out floors.
6) I want the cup holders in the back (so I can measure ground clearance šŸ˜)
7) my company provides Ford vehicles to employees so Iā€™ve had a lot for fords and have had no issues with the leather.

My opinions only.

TimboSlice

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you think the MGV will hold up over time? Will it get Snag from keys and dogs nails and things like that?

I have had leather in all my cars for years and it hold up great. But seeing that the badlands comes with MGV I would like to go that way if its as good or better then leather.
I went to look at the overland concept at Mammoth when is was there. It seemed like someone got it a little dirty inside with tiny pebbles on the back seat. The seat did have some scratches in it from someone sitting on and moving around those small rocks. I'm not sure if those were just cosmetic and you could take a damp cloth to the scratches but they did show up on the dark grey interior. I'm thinking keys and dog's nails will make marks as well, but I'm guessing/hoping they can just be wiped clean.

I still chose to get the MGV but those scratches are something I still think about...

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on how you'll use your Bronco. For those who'll be at the beach, in desert, or go wheeling in temperate climates where it rains, there is mud, etc like the Pac NW and Southeast, the MGV will be likely a smart choice if you plan to go wheeling with no roof or camp, hike, or wheel where you'll be dirty.

I posted on some thread about doing a paint correction, so I'm down the car detailing rabbit hole and have owned a number of luxury cars with decent, to pretty decent leather.

When dealing with weather, you need to baby leather with a good cleaner and conditioner. dusty or dry dirt areas will kill leather when you don't keep it clean.

The MGV is a step out on faith on my part, but I'm going to just trust that Ford didn't screw this up since they tout it as a "feature", and it can be if done right.

Marine vinyl can take UV since it's protected, but you should still clean and treat, just not as often as leather. Most important, MGV can get wet, and my rig will be wet and dirty very often.

I don't camp in the summer, but go wheeling and will with no top in the Bronco in 90+ temps, so leather would struggle in my application.

Sure, I love leather, but that's not this vehicle and I'm not getting a Range Rover which has some of the toughest and strongest auto leather there is. BMW leather is treated so much that you can barely tell it's leather outside of the smell, but the Dakota can take a beating for 5 years. However, Ford's leather ain't BMW Dakota or anything close, so I'll pass on that shit.

As long as the MGV isn't paper thin, it should take a beating well. Plus, there is quite a bit of technology that goes into making modern vinyl, so it should be a decent grade.

I don't want leather or carpet in my rig, but it is a Badlands. if you're going with some other trim, I can see getting a car interior trim, even though dust in carpet will suck.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m going to place my bet on leather. I was at Super Cel East and personally touched and saw both the leather and MGV and Iā€™m choosing leather. Donā€™t get me wrong, the MGV is nice but im going leather because

1) the MGV is definitely thinner than the leather. We have a large dog and I feel the leather wonā€™t be as apt to puncture as the MGV. But yes, weā€™ll put a cover on the back seat when riding the dog around.
2) the MGV is grey (even though the color is called black onyx, itā€™s really grey, not black). Whereas the leather is black and I want the black interior.
3) MGV is softer/flexible and will stretch at the seams. we have a boat and the stitching does tend to pull and stretch at the seams and where there is more weight, they actually start to rip over time (along the sewing line)
4) I want the carpet as it generally makes the interior look/feel nicer than wash out floor (and the passive drain plugs ARE under the carpet if I need them).
5) Carpet will also after more sound deadening than wash out floors.
6) I want the cup holders in the back (so I can measure ground clearance šŸ˜)
7) my company provides Ford vehicles to employees so Iā€™ve had a lot for fords and have had no issues with the leather.

My opinions only.
have ford leather in my f-150 and it has been great, 2014 platinum and it still looks new

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a lot to break down. Note I added some spaces between your arguments. It's the "Enter" button, try it.

1. There are no Bronco models which are using a pairing of leather and vinyl surfaces, it's all or nothing.
Unless I'm reading it incorrectly,I think the leather seat option on build and price indicates that it is leather trimmed vinyl or vice versa.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Leather-trimmed seating is exactly that, no? Leather trimmed vinyl?

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well my MGV early bronco seat has held up great. I don't have my '72 anymore, unfortunately :( But I still have the rear seat, it was forgotten in the shed for a few years, but I dug it out and my 100 lab has called it home in our '68 FJ40 trail rig for the last 11 years and it still looks the same as it did when I got it in '97. Used and abused it since and still looks good. I'm betting the new stuff will be pretty tough too.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Leather-trimmed seating is exactly that, no? Leather trimmed vinyl?
The Ford leather is NOT pleather. The reason the description says leather/vinyl is that the sides and rear facing surfaces are vinyl (or fabric or molle panels), but the actual seating surfaces ARE real leather. Pretty common in the industry these days until you approach the hi-end/luxe autos wher then the whole thing, sides too are leather.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Ford leather is NOT pleather. The reason the description says leather/vinyl is that the sides and rear facing surfaces are vinyl (or fabric or molle panels), but the actual seating surfaces ARE real leather. Pretty common in the industry these days until you approach the hi-end/luxe autos wher then the whole thing, sides too are leather.
Either you think I don't know what "trimmed" means or you don't know what it means. I know it's leather "trimmed" with something, ie. Vinyl surrounding leather or visa versa. I never said anything about pleather.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Either you think I don't know what "trimmed" means or you don't know what it means. I know it's leather "trimmed" with something, ie. Vinyl surrounding leather or visa versa. I never said anything about pleather.
Meant for the others who suggested itā€™s some weird combo/mix of leather and vinyl in one material.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Whatever Ford wants to call any surface in it's vehicle as "leather", it's anything but the robust, quality supple and quality material you're thinking it is. In fact, it's pretty far off from even the third-best leather you're thinking of. More of a $10 faux leather wallet in quality of materials.

I only say this as somebody who has a 2019 Ranger Lariat, the "leather" is possibly leather but it has some rather shocking and unique properties for "leather". It doesn't absorb conditioner, it doesn't crease or wear in like leather and it sure as hell doesn't feel like leather.

The closest thing I can attribute the qualities of the Ranger "leather" seating surfaces to is this snazzy jacket:

Ford Bronco How do you guys think MGV will hold up over Time VS Leather ? ? ? ? 322a6feeac0519c0c3257c66809a950018336f4a[1]

How Ford lists the seating materials on 2020 Ranger Lariat:

Ford Bronco How do you guys think MGV will hold up over Time VS Leather ? ? ? ? 1614815749988

Having sat in the Overlands showcase Bronco and gotten to touch/feel/poke/pull the MGV surfaces (seats and armrests), MGV will be the premium material for this vehicle.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2. You also don't seem to understand what materials Marine Grade Vinyl is made of. I'll save myself the time and let you look that up yourself.
  2. There is no reason to paint cast pumpkins or axle carriers. This has been consistent and valid since the 1940's when they tweaked with the metallurgy to change the oxide content. I posted information about this on the thread which you're referencing, and will let you go back to that thread to read-up and learn more about it.

3. Hard tops are missing? That's so strange. I ordered my Bronco without any top options of any kind and it's a hard top. Who knew!

4. No reason to have fog light wiring to bumpers which will be swapped out or don't have them to begin with. Order fog lights get the wiring. Don't order fog lights, don't get the wiring.... Perhaps fog light wiring is part of the package you're paying for? Either way, 95% of buyers aren't' paying for something they won't use, that's a bonus.

5. Cup holders: You're driving a car, not starting a mobile beverage delivery company. The vehicle has cup holders that hold cups. That you were expecting the below discredits your own argument about cost savings.

BN-WW193_backgr_12U_20180105121318[1].jpg
Normally
I
really
appreciate
your
knowledge
and
insight,
but
you
must