Sponsored

How do you like your Icon 2.5 exp shocks?

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just looking for some feedback on icons 2.5 exp shocks from people actually running them. I haven’t seen much…how do they compare to the stock Sasquatch bilstiens? Obviously are larger and will fade less when run hard….
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just looking for some feedback on icons 2.5 exp shocks from people actually running them. I haven’t seen much…how do they compare to the stock Sasquatch bilstiens? Obviously are larger and will fade less when run hard….
I've heard Icons have had problems on the Bronco. I'd don't know exactly why though.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've heard Icons have had problems on the Bronco. I'd don't know exactly why though.
There are some clearance issues that have hopefully been addressed with the Icon coilovers, but I'm not aware of any of the same issues with the EXP shocks. Although, there is that one video of a guy jumping his Bronco multiple times after installing the EXPs and not checking for clearance first that did not turn out well.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Definitely a hard choice between 2.5 Icon and Bilstein 6100. I would favor the Icons for travel and performance. I would buy 6100 because they are know to last and get you 75k-125k miles of use.

OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t believe the tie rod hitting is a issue on the exp cause they use the stock springs not coilover springs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely a hard choice between 2.5 Icon and Bilstein 6100. I would favor the Icons for travel and performance. I would buy 6100 because they are know to last and get you 75k-125k miles of use.
I tend to lean towards icon cause they are a larger shock….mileage is a no issue for me cause it is not a daily driver and I’ll probably end up with a true coilover eventually.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tend to lean towards icon cause they are a larger shock….mileage is a no issue for me cause it is not a daily driver and I’ll probably end up with a true coilover eventually.
The bilstien 6100 are 2.5" shocks... On high setting they give a good lift. I have them now. Very impressed with them. They don't give you any more articulation than the stock badlands, but they do handle hard bumps and high-speed off road better than the resi bilstien's did. With the lift and 35x12.5x17 you get some very good clearance anyhow.... Possibly even fit 37's with no issues.
Ford Bronco How do you like your Icon 2.5 exp shocks? PSX_20221002_065224

OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bilstien 6100 are 2.5" shocks... On high setting they give a good lift. I have them now. Very impressed with them. They don't give you any more articulation than the stock badlands, but they do handle hard bumps and high-speed off road better than the resi bilstien's did. With the lift and 35x12.5x17 you get some very good clearance anyhow.... Possibly even fit 37's with no issues.
Ford Bronco How do you like your Icon 2.5 exp shocks? PSX_20221002_065224
I thought I read somewhere they were slightly smaller than 2.5 and I don’t think I ever saw a shaft size…..that is about what i expect out of the icons as well….I already run 37s with no lift but with my fiberglass fender install I actually lost a tad bit of clearance at the middle of the opening.( yes they claim they are more open for larger tires but the are not) so only looking for a 1” or so…..the 6100s are still a option but was looking for feedback on the icons. Thanks.

BadlandsCable

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have them ordered and expect them early next week. Once I get them installed, I will post updates.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have them ordered and expect them early next week. Once I get them installed, I will post updates.
While I am sure many will appreciate that, You may want to start a new thread about it. I would read your thoughts about those. Unfortunately I would hope the OP already made a decision 2 years ago.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I am sure many will appreciate that, You may want to start a new thread about it. I would read your thoughts about those. Unfortunately I would hope the OP already made a decision 2 years ago.
I did. I gave them a try. They are pretty firm. I would say they are a slight upgrade over the Sasquatch shocks….i ended up going to kings and we moved these to my chicks 23 black diamond.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I did. I gave them a try. They are pretty firm. I would say they are a slight upgrade over the Sasquatch shocks….i ended up going to kings and we moved these to my chicks 23 black diamond.
Off topic for this thread but I think we can hijack a 2 year old thread. ;)

By your avatar it looks like you are running 40s?... with the kings? Kings are giving you about 2.5 inch. Are you running a Body lift or did you roll fenders? looks to have the OBX flares on there.

Curious about your thoughts on that build. Have I missed a build thread somewhere?

Edit: so you actually have the ADV Fenders... Are those giving you enough clearance for the 40s? Did you have to do anything else?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off topic for this thread but I think we can hijack a 2 year old thread. ;)

By your avatar it looks like you are running 40s?... with the kings? Kings are giving you about 2.5 inch. Are you running a Body lift or did you roll fenders? looks to have the OBX flares on there.

Curious about your thoughts on that build. Have I missed a build thread somewhere?

Edit: so you actually have the ADV Fenders... Are those giving you enough clearance for the 40s? Did you have to do anything else?
I don’t think there are any worries there…

In that picture yes! Do I normally run them, no. That particular day I was experimenting with what wheel offset/backspacing I wanted to run after putting on my Apg long arm front. I just happen to have a few different wheels laying around and I stole these off my 68 bronco….although they look awesome I wouldn’t run them without upgrading to the 32 spline front and a 60 rear. They are just too much tire for the stock axles. The kings added about a 1.5” of lift to the front over Sasquatch and when I change to 650lbs springs (per apgs recommendation) it went up another 1”. The rear went up about a 1” from Sasquatch and tends to sag with both the spare and the hardtop on….and just fyi 37 km3s are what normally reside under this bronco.

I was just thinking the other day I should probably do a build thread when I get some time…you haven’t missed it but I’ll try to make one. Until the feel free to ask anything your curious about.

And yes. Adv fenders….long story short I bought them thinking they offered more clearance and in reality they measure the 1” rise from the bottom of the plastic fender flare not the wheel opening itself so you actually loose clearance…..basically they are mostly for the old school fender look and don’t seem to offer much past that….I’ve seriously considered going back to stock but I like the look and built my bumpers to match the adv fender wheel openings so…for now they stay.

IMG_6964.jpeg

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don’t think there are any worries there…

In that picture yes! Do I normally run them, no. That particular day I was experimenting with what wheel offset/backspacing I wanted to run after putting on my Apg long arm front. I just happen to have a few different wheels laying around and I stole these off my 68 bronco….although they look awesome I wouldn’t run them without upgrading to the 32 spline front and a 60 rear. They are just too much tire for the stock axles. The kings added about a 1.5” of lift to the front over Sasquatch and when I change to 650lbs springs (per apgs recommendation) it went up another 1”. The rear went up about a 1” from Sasquatch and tends to sag with both the spare and the hardtop on….and just fyi 37 km3s are what normally reside under this bronco.

I was just thinking the other day I should probably do a build thread when I get some time…you haven’t missed it but I’ll try to make one. Until the feel free to ask anything your curious about.

And yes. Adv fenders….long story short I bought them thinking they offered more clearance and in reality they measure the 1” rise from the bottom of the plastic fender flare not the wheel opening itself so you actually loose clearance…..basically they are mostly for the old school fender look and don’t seem to offer much past that….I’ve seriously considered going back to stock but I like the look and built my bumpers to match the adv fender wheel openings so…for now they stay.

Ford Bronco How do you like your Icon 2.5 exp shocks? IMG_6964
Well that looks really fricken good and capable. The long arms have to give you some extra articulation. I am running the Kings and I love them. I also am a big fan of the square fender to the point that I have a Heritage Limited square fender. (I lucked into it, something I eyed long before they made them) So that appearance is right up my alley, Hell you are even close to my color with 2 doors even. I was wondering about the clearance because I am running 40s.... had to trim the front capable bumper and I may have just a little bit to trim at the back of the front wheel well. I am trying to retain something of that stock look while being on 40s...

OP
OP
Mdsuits

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well that looks really fricken good and capable. The long arms have to give you some extra articulation. I am running the Kings and I love them. I also am a big fan of the square fender to the point that I have a Heritage Limited square fender. (I lucked into it, something I eyed long before they made them) So that appearance is right up my alley, Hell you are even close to my color with 2 doors even. I was wondering about the clearance because I am running 40s.... had to trim the front capable bumper and I may have just a little bit to trim at the back of the front wheel well. I am trying to retain something of that stock look while being on 40s...
Thanks man….im definitely a king fan myself. I have them on my 68 as well…do the heritage flairs pop off as easy as the rounded ones? With no tools? I’m pretty sure I could run the 40s. I would have to limit the uptravel quite a bit and the axles would never survive….in my opinion 37s push the limits of them.
Sponsored