Sponsored

how does 2-door Bronco handle high winds?

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine has generally done fine in high winds. The one exception to that was when I was driving through central WA which has fast highway and very strong consistent wind. Vantage, WA area / wind farm territory… predictably very windy.

Doing 70mph with an unknown headwind (30? 40?) it would somehow generate enough pressure in my cab to pop windows out of the door seal at the top of the window. I assume the headwind + highway speed caused increased pressure wherever the climate control air intake was. It was super weird and loud and it took me a while to figure out what was going on (long drive, plenty of time to ness with the window controls..). I finally noticed a slight flap from the windows, and realized that I could re-seat them in the upper door frame seal by slowing down, then lowering and raising the windows. I found I could stop it from recurring by putting the hvac on recirculate.

It hasn’t happened since so I’m chalking it off to a freak convergence of high highway speed and just the right headwind.

Edit: drivability was still great despite the above windy conditions. Never had an issue with control in the wind. I rented a wrangler for work a few months back… woo that thing was a beast to handle, felt like I was driving a clapped out truck with 200k on the clock. IMO bronco 1000% handles better under windy conditions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We drove home from skiing in CO across KS in 0 degree temps with wind chills in the -15 to -25 range. Wind speeds (cross winds) were around 20-25 sustained with gusts up to 35-40. My two door did just fine on the road, but MPG was TERRIBLE. I think I averaged 12 for that trip home.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its too loud in my Bronco to worry about how it handles....
Sponsored