Sponsored

How does Nav system react to being off-grid?

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Nav system retain it's own database of addresses and maps for navigating like what I think of as a typical unit, or does it need to be connected in order to find addresses and then create the route? There's a lot of areas that don't have any kind of coverage still it would be bummer if you had to be connected. I can understand updating things and making sure you can the closest of the 300 nearby Starbucks, but that's stuff I don't really care about. My Kenwood unit that I put in my F350 retains all the maps, even has traffic updated via an FM traffic signal (no charge), granted it isn't as granular as something like Waze, but good enough for rerouting because of accidents, etc. How about connection in Canada or Mexico?
Sponsored

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are some where that has no 'connected car signal' the odds of needing to navigate to a street address is going to very small...

When your phone is connected, lets say via the Apple Integration - Apple Maps will require signal as there is no offline mode.

I use the HERE WeGo app which has an offline mode and cache state maps prior to going somewhere with no signal.

The Ford GPS will still navigate and have maps when disconnected. I've never tried searching when offline for an address on the Ford that I can recall-

I will use the Ford GPS as a last resort to my phone based maps.

The Bronco has trail maps though, if i understand it - that I would think supports disconnected from cell network

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, agree it's not likely you would try and navigate to an address from an no coverage location, although I have no cell coverage anywhere near my house (do have good internet now though, thanks Starlink!). Just wondering how it reacts to no coverage situations, I'm assuming there's enough of any given map stored internally to allow for showing the area and keep tracking your location. Was amazed at what the Kenwood carries in it's memory. Winter roads (i.e a road built on a frozen river) in the Canadian Arctic show up and you could navigate routes using them. Really hoping they didn't make their system to reliant on Cloud services, and maintain maps locally.
Sponsored