Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Closed by Administrator because this:

Different shocks, different tires, sway bars, etc. MUCH more weight above the rear axle. Ranger has leaf springs for crying out loud.

They're not even close.

if you want to know how the Bronco drives go test drive a ranger crew cab

Alex on autos is my go to for detailed reviews. Here’s the video. Fast forward to when he is driving it

2.3 L is 20/24/22 MPG Awd and 6.4 0-60
Handling rated at A-, Ride at B. Most important thing to note is that those grades are comparing to pick up trucks, not SUVs. It would grade lower if being compared to SUVs. So typical to pick ups, and noted in the video, is a ride that’s a bit on the bouncy side with some lean in and body roll.

not sure if this is good news as I’ve heard others complain that the rangers ride makes them somewhat sea sick given the bounciness.

I still have hope that the ride is better than the JL. But far from the steering/handling found in say the Ford Edge that has typical Ford tight/quick steering and surprising car-like handling.Although the Bronco seems to be more pick-up based deviating even further from car-like handling. that should be expected given the bronco is body on frame. Any hopes that ford was able to accomplish a driving feel that is similar to a unibody seem to be highly unlikely.

unfortunately, other reviews of the ride/handling of the ranger are
-average at best
-clumsy

This goes back to 2019. so hopefully ford has improved that for todays Bronco application
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Billm0066

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If I wanted a good ride I would have bought an Acura RDX or something.
not everyone buying a bronco is coming from a truck or jeep. The Styling is going to have very broad appeal from a large range of buyers. It looks like an suv so people will assume it drives like one too. The average person has no idea what body on frame means or how it relates to driving. I’m a Tesla owner considering buying one....

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This dude is comparing the Ranger to the Ridgeline, which is a damn minivan. Come on fellas, we’re not minivan people. I’ve driven a truck or a Jeep for 25 years now, and the Ranger rides great. Disclaimer - I only rode in it one time, and I honestly wasn’t trying to evaluate the ride. But If the Bronco rides like a truck then it will be light years better than the solid axle Wrangler.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a Ranger owner, I can tell you that the onroad manners of the Ranger are actually very good. It's done well offroad on trails and ORV routes in Northern Michigan. I really like the truck. Me deciding to purchase my lease is the only thing that would keep me from getting a Bronco.

My wife daily drives a Lincoln MKX. She never complains about how the Ranger rides. I think she actually likes it more than her Lincoln at this point. She's taken it to work every day this week (I am working from home).

If the Bronco rides like a Ranger on the road and rides like a Wrangler off the road, Ford will have a huge success on their hands.

8C013C2F-54BA-41D4-A761-F67D1C6AF2A9.jpeg

Sponsored

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be interesting to know how many of the soccer moms who are buying Wranglers (and eventually Broncos) stick with them when their lease is up or when they go to trade them in.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Jeep JKU, '19 Ranger FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm very impressed with my '19 Ranger Lariat FX4. It drives very nice on road and I was surprised how well it did offroad on stock tires and no lift. It handled some pretty rough terrain, rocks and water crossings just as good, if not better than our '15 Jeep JKU.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Different shocks, different tires, sway bars, etc. MUCH more weight above the rear axle. Ranger has leaf springs for crying out loud.

They're not even close.

Madsjim

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 XLT 5. 0
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took the Ford engineer's comments to mean that the drive train feel similar. The 2.3 automatic should have the same feel as what the Bronco will be. If anyone is worried about whether the 2.3 is enough for the Bronco, then test drive a Ranger and see if it's suitable or not for what you like.

I'm pretty sure it didn't mean that the the on road handling would be the same.

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

this is all good news for me- i originally started following bronco development because i thought it might have the same bouncy ride and loose steering as my old Cherokee.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience with off road vehicles with mud tires that many will experience for the first time with their Bronco is that many will be in for several shocks to the system. Most mud tires have a good bit of road noise, along with the removable top and doors. the suspension will be set up for control. This can translate into wandering. Sort of like how old BMW steering was heavy and the car went where you pointed it down to the micro level.

Off road, these characteristics will feel great, but highway speeds over 70 mph will take some getting used to, but I think most people will catch on. Not sure of the truck feel due to the wheelbase and at a certain point a pickup stiffens under load. An empty bed usually makes a truck drive bad and floaty.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

not sure if this is good news as I’ve heard others complain that the rangers ride makes them somewhat sea sick given the bounciness.
This was me. And I stand by my statement. I had a 2013 F150, way better ride. My 2007 F250, also better ride. Even my nothing-left-stock 84 BroncoII had a better ride. All less bouncy and floaty than my dad’s 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 crew cab. It feels like the floaty ride of a 70s Lincoln but driving a vehicle thats two stories tall.

My wife also drove it once, refused to drive it after that and had the same opinion even without me asking her or letting her know my opnion.

Other clapped out vehicles I’ve owned that were less disappointing in the ride department:
1984 Bronco (FSB)
1988 Bronco (FSB)
1983 F150 4x4
1967 F100 2wd
1999 Ford Explorer V8 AWD
1990 Ranger Supercab 4x4
1987 Ranger regular cab 4x4
And many more! I guess maybe the latest Ranger will maybe ride better when it’s clapped out too...

jimmycarter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
328xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cut the springs and run low profile tires on the 17s?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.