Sponsored

How Easily will an 86 inch wide vehicle fit in a 94 in garage?

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You need to watch "Bugsy" about half way in where Bugsy Seigel tells Del Webb to put in a f n header beam.

Seriously, when we remodeled our farmhouse the detached garage had 4 7' openings. We installed new pillars and headers and reconfigured to 3 9' doors. Felt more comfortable doing that

The Bronco mirrors do fold, although only manually, and soft unpainted flares should flex? Or 5 minutes to remove all 4 flares and thus reduce Bronco width to only outside of tires
My thoughts exactly. You "can" span nearly any distance with the right materials. Drop a steel beam in there and you'll never have any sag.

Seriously though, they make laminated beams and wooden i-beams for just such applications. Of course, in today's economy, your first purchase would need to be a printing press to print your own money.
Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really locking down now between the BL loaded up or the Raptor...the issue of width does throw me off a bit. My wife's Mach-E is only 74 inches wide and although it fits easily in the garage, you do have to be aware of the sides (obviously). That's narrow by Bronco standards.

Well, I used the ole laser device to see that the actual width of my garage door is 94 1/4 inches. This being the case, the 86 inch wide Raptor would seem to fit...with like 4 inches on each side. That is not too much. Mind you, I have a side load garage. The badlands would fit with about 8 inches on each side.

I'm pricing up my BL and with all I want (including soft top and tube doors), and it's sitting around 67k. The Raptor, without tube and soft top sits around 74k.

So, thoughts on the two and do y'all think the raptor would get banged up going in and out sooner or later?

Thanks...
there should be 6" to spare...

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You need to watch "Bugsy" about half way in where Bugsy Seigel tells Del Webb to put in a f n header beam.

Seriously, when we remodeled our farmhouse the detached garage had 4 7' openings. We installed new pillars and headers and reconfigured to 3 9' doors. Felt more comfortable doing that

The Bronco mirrors do fold, although only manually, and soft unpainted flares should flex? Or 5 minutes to remove all 4 flares and thus reduce Bronco width to only outside of tires
It’ll take longer than 5 minutes to take just one fender off of one of these I bet.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just depen

and just how high is the opening to the your garage?
I'm not worried about the height as my 4Runner is lifted quite a bit and fits easily. It's super skinny compared to the Raptor, though.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hmm. 94 minus 86 = why so many comments? I went to school back in the 80’s. According the the math I was taught it should physically fit. No idea if you guys are using gen Z or Facebook math.

On a serious note I have a couple vettes in some tight garages. Tight as in the mirrors need to foldin to slip past the seals. Probably 8 inch on the passenger side and 20 on the drivers. They are fine to walk around but feels like I’m trying to do yoga trying to get in and out of it. It is doable but becomes annoying the more you do it. Becomes a real pain in the ass if you forgot something inside or are working on it. Guess the point of my Monday morning ramblings are just because it will fit does not mean you’ll be happy with it.

I’d honestly take what ever you drive now. Park it how the new one should fit on one side, put you wife’s car to spec on the other.
Since the doors sit around six inches inside the outer edge of the flares there will be a little more rom to get in and out of the rig than the 86” width implies. But there may be no getting around squeezing by the flares before getting in or after getting out.

this “inset” will be a big advantage in parking lots. Those flares will keep other cars at a distance and the height with the rail step will make door dings a thing of the past. Man I love those flares!

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do the mirrors fold in automatically on the raptor? I assume they do but just wanna be sure...
as someone else stated the mirrors are manual, but it doesn’t matter. The outside edge of the mirrors look well inside of the outside edge of flare/tire.

No need to fold them in to increase clearance. Problem solved!

Correction: Per Ford media website, the flares are at 85.7” and its 86.9“ to the mirror tips, so you’ll have 1.2” of additional width without folding your mirrors . That picture is apparently deceiving.

Ford Bronco How Easily will an 86 inch wide vehicle fit in a 94 in garage? 619702C4-8AF0-4A8E-A264-5F7BE6B06ACB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
as someone else stated the mirrors are manual, but it doesn’t matter. The outside edge of the mirrors look well inside of the outside edge of flare/tire.

No need to fold them in to increase clearance. Problem solved!

Correction: Per Ford media website, the flares are at 85.7” and its 86.9“ to the mirror tips, so you’ll have 1.2” of additional width without folding your mirrors . That picture is apparently deceiving.

Ford Bronco How Easily will an 86 inch wide vehicle fit in a 94 in garage? 619702C4-8AF0-4A8E-A264-5F7BE6B06ACB
omg....so, 87 inches of vehicle, and 94.5 inches of garage door opening to get through...so, yeah, in total, 7.5 inches, divided by 2 = 3.75 inches each side...sigh. I'm a good driver, but man, that's really tight. The Badlands gives me a good amount of space more but I do believe for the money, the Raptor provides a tremendous amount of extra goodies I'd never have to consider adding in the future....

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

omg....so, 87 inches of vehicle, and 94.5 inches of garage door opening to get through...so, yeah, in total, 7.5 inches, divided by 2 = 3.75 inches each side...sigh. I'm a good driver, but man, that's really tight. The Badlands gives me a good amount of space more but I do believe for the money, the Raptor provides a tremendous amount of extra goodies I'd never have to consider adding in the future....
That’s going to be tight. Tip in the drivers side mirror and you get an extra 0.6”. Doesn’t seem like much but that’s an 8% increase in available wiggle room!

I’ve got a bunch of blue tape down on my floor to convince my wife that she’ll be able to park her new Defender next to my Braptor in the double garage.

You’re right it’s a lot more goodies, to the point that it’s almost a different vehicle than a Badlands or other Bronco.

I’m more worried that the width I’d going to be a limiter on trails. While the body is the same width as a Badlands so pinstriping doesn’t get worse, will I be able to squeeze through trees and boulders with everyone else? I’ve come to the conclusion there may be some places I can’t go, but its still going to be worth it. And I may spend more time out in the desert.

good luck with your decision.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an F150 Raptor (same if not wider) and had the pleasure of driving a Braptor so I could give a bit of perspective here. It’s odd because the visibility is great like a normal Bronco, but bad because it doesn’t give a good idea of where those flares are.

My garage door where the F150 resides is a bit smaller than that (or maybe it’s the same I used a measuring tape), and fits fine. Took me a few minutes to get the spacing on the first time, but now it’s second nature. My driveway also curves into the door making it a bit different than having time to line it up straight on.

If I can do it on a curved driveway in a truck where you can’t even see the hood, I’m sure you’ll be fine with the Braptor.

What sucks is getting in and out of it if there’s a wall on the driver side. The raptor steps are ridiculously wide!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s going to be tight. Tip in the drivers side mirror and you get an extra 0.6”. Doesn’t seem like much but that’s an 8% increase in available wiggle room!

I’ve got a bunch of blue tape down on my floor to convince my wife that she’ll be able to park her new Defender next to my Braptor in the double garage.

You’re right it’s a lot more goodies, to the point that it’s almost a different vehicle than a Badlands or other Bronco.

I’m more worried that the width I’d going to be a limiter on trails. While the body is the same width as a Badlands so pinstriping doesn’t get worse, will I be able to squeeze through trees and boulders with everyone else? I’ve come to the conclusion there may be some places I can’t go, but its still going to be worth it. And I may spend more time out in the desert.

good luck with your decision.
thank you for insightful comments. I'm going to contact the owner of the Ford dealership and ask if his staff can install the HOSS 3.0 parts on a Badlands...if they can do this, then this minimizes some of the major differences and helps make my decision easier. It's amazing that my darn skinny garage is playing a factor in my vehicle purchase..argh!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an F150 Raptor (same if not wider) and had the pleasure of driving a Braptor so I could give a bit of perspective here. It’s odd because the visibility is great like a normal Bronco, but bad because it doesn’t give a good idea of where those flares are.

My garage door where the F150 resides is a bit smaller than that (or maybe it’s the same I used a measuring tape), and fits fine. Took me a few minutes to get the spacing on the first time, but now it’s second nature. My driveway also curves into the door making it a bit different than having time to line it up straight on.

If I can do it on a curved driveway in a truck where you can’t even see the hood, I’m sure you’ll be fine with the Braptor.

What sucks is getting in and out of it if there’s a wall on the driver side. The raptor steps are ridiculously wide!
yeah...angling in will likely be a no-no...it's going to have to be straight or fender damage (or garage damage)....

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah...angling in will likely be a no-no...it's going to have to be straight or fender damage (or garage damage)....
Guess it just depends on your skill/comfort level as the f150 body is a bit wider than the bronco raptor. Feel like after the first few times, you’d get more comfortable

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Guess it just depends on your skill/comfort level as the f150 body is a bit wider than the bronco raptor. Feel like after the first few times, you’d get more comfortable
this is a critical point, if OP touches either side it won’t be on metal body work (or he missed by 6-8 inches!) it’ll be on the flare. If he drives this off road at all, there are going to be plenty of other scuffs on this flares already. And the flare won’t damage the garage door frame either.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
this is a critical point, if OP touches either side it won’t be on metal body work (or he missed by 6-8 inches!) it’ll be on the flare. If he drives this off road at all, there are going to be plenty of other scuffs on this flares already. And the flare won’t damage the garage door frame either.
Are the flares rather 'floppy'? You make a good point...if they were aluminum, it'd be an issue but if soft plastic, they won't break, but rather just rub/bend a bit...that I will not worry about..

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are the flares rather 'floppy'? You make a good point...if they were aluminum, it'd be an issue but if soft plastic, they won't break, but rather just rub/bend a bit...that I will not worry about..
body or the flares wont break unless you really try to hammer on the gas after contact.

You don’t have to read too deep into it. Pretty sure any Murican garage doors made after the 80s were made to house any type of road-legal vehicle that can fit in a lane.

to give another example, I’ve also seen the Tesla truck when it was on display. Seemed bigger than both raptors in every dimension and supposedly fits in a garage too.

whenever you get your raptor, just roll down your window so you can see where you’re at and take it slow. You’ll get the spacing after the first few times, then it’ll be ezpz
Sponsored

Last edited: