Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Ashley's Babes group, there was a Sport owner who had used Eco for about a month and then only used Normal for the next month. She found that she got less mpg in Eco than Normal. She was averaging 31 with Normal mode and was only getting 24 in Eco. I was shocked, but she verified that she didn't erroneously flip the numbers/modes.
Yeah I believe it. Normal is very sensitive and likes to downshift
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depending on traffic, my Wife's F-150 can get the best mileage in Sport mode.

These engines get the worst mileage when the turbos are spooled up. Sport keeps it in lower gears so you get more torque with less boost. So in medium traffic with periodic slow and go or stops, Sport lets you accelerate better with less boost.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depending on traffic, my Wife's F-150 can get the best mileage in Sport mode.

These engines get the worst mileage when the turbos are spooled up. Sport keeps it in lower gears so you get more torque with less boost. So in medium traffic with periodic slow and go or stops, Sport lets you accelerate better with less boost.
That seems unusual. In all the cars I've driven (all Fords or Lincolns), sport mode keeps the engine RPMs high, which should keep the turbos spooled up in a turbo engine.

Eco mode is the opposite. It tries to keep the RPMs low and avoids downshifting. I can't imagine eco mode does much for gas mileage, but it's a bore to drive in that mode.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have tried ECO mode in different cars I have rented- and also on my 2018 VW GTI. I drove with ECO mode on my commute to work. It accelerates the car more slowly. Even with a light foot- which is how I drive I got no different MPG in ECO mode than normal mode. I think it was actually worse in ECO mode as I had to step on the gas harder to get the car to move just in normal driving.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That seems unusual. In all the cars I've driven (all Fords or Lincolns), sport mode keeps the engine RPMs high, which should keep the turbos spooled up in a turbo engine.

Eco mode is the opposite. It tries to keep the RPMs low and avoids downshifting. I can't imagine eco mode does much for gas mileage, but it's a bore to drive in that mode.
Revs alone don't spool turbos. You can drive at 5k rpm and be making no boost.

Sponsored

unleveln

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ethosgeological.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco black diamond sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Our sasquatch black diamond gets 2 - 2!- mpg better when we use 91 octane fuel vs 89.
--> 17.2 avg around-town driving vs 19.2 on the same routes.
Doesn't matter which spouse is driving.
(also, mpg only barely dips when in 4wd off road).
We have about 1100 miles on it, half on pavement and half in pretty rough off road... the difference in mpg is based on fuel octane more than anything else. !?

Eco mode makes ~ 0.2 mpg improvement... but we can't discount an unconscious bias of also driving 'softer' when in eco mode.

Rubicon79

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I made a 50 mile trip in eco running 60-70 mph and really trying to get good mileage. The computer was showing 27.5 for the trip. It was another 50 back home run in normal and driving normal but still averaged 24 for the entire trip. It’s a 4 door big bend with the 2.3 manual.

56443F72-EBB0-4CB3-974B-C151B56B72BC.jpeg

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wish I could replace Eco mode with Sport mode.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I made a 50 mile trip in eco running 60-70 mph and really trying to get good mileage. The computer was showing 27.5 for the trip. It was another 50 back home run in normal and driving normal but still averaged 24 for the entire trip. It’s a 4 door big bend with the 2.3 manual.

Ford Bronco how "eco" is eco mode? 56443F72-EBB0-4CB3-974B-C151B56B72BC
Damn, there's no way 4dr 2.7 BD can get that. Highest I've seen is 21.X.

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Eco is nice in our Bronco Sport because it makes the pedal less sensitive. You can easily modulate the throttle to ”gently” accelerate. It doesn’t noticeably adjust anything else I noticed. The 8 speed already tries to upshift as much as it can.
I came here to say this. In normal mode my Bronco (2.7) jerks if I tap the gas gently. In eco mode I actually have to press it down further to get it to go, and it actually feels more natural in my city/stop and go life.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I came here to say this. In normal mode my Bronco (2.7) jerks if I tap the gas gently. In eco mode I actually have to press it down further to get it to go, and it actually feels more natural in my city/stop and go life.
Mine in normal is crazy resistant to downshift. My largest complaint with the vehicle so far. I don't want to be 40% throttle at 7 PSI just climbing a grade in 10th.

okccj

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I sort of feel the same way. I perceive eco mode to be a bit smoother and reminds me of my V8 Tundra.

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Damn, there's no way 4dr 2.7 BD can get that. Highest I've seen is 21.X.
My 2 door with 2.3 and 7MT never shows above 19, and usually averages about 17.5. Now, I am running larger tires, so the odometer and speedometer are off a little, but there's no way I can get 24?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2 door with 2.3 and 7MT never shows above 19, and usually averages about 17.5. Now, I am running larger tires, so the odometer and speedometer are off a little, but there's no way I can get 24?
With warmer weather I'm now at 22.5, maybe it can happen!

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With warmer weather I'm now at 22.5, maybe it can happen!
I'm in South Alabama, it's been in the 90's already, I don't want warmer weather 😆
Sponsored