Sponsored

How Exaggerated Are Claims of Vinyl Seats Being Bad?

Wingman335

Badlands
First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, J200 Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am deciding between BB or BD. I have the BB spec'd out exactly like BD (steel bumper, diff lock, mid pkg), which makes it the same cost. It just boils down to the interior- whether I should go with cloth or get MGVinyl. Everywhere I read, I see that Vinyl is not breathable, so it gets really hot and becomes a mess during highway driving. I live in TX, so this is a big deal. However, my current car has leather seats which I am fine with. If Vinyl is similar to leather in terms of comfort, then I have no issues.

I want vinyl because I have a newborn and a dog- it would make cleanup much much easier than cloth.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are fine with your leather and if it’s the leather mix that are on cars now days then you will be perfectly fine with vinyl. Vinyl will breath the same way as the faux leather in cars now days. (What I’m saying is either way your arse will sweat lol)

Jjirish

Badlands
First Name
Jjirsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive had both in "high end" vehicles and i prefer the vinyl. Both could get hot (im in fl) esp if the tops off. The vinyl was more forgiving with my destructive daughter and dogs. The leather always seems stickier to me.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Vinyl breathes the same as non-perforated leather. I used to say I was never going to have vinyl again, but I'm changing that for the Bronco. I realize that if you have AC, then it is not that big a deal. My current truck has leather, and I bring a beach towel to sit on if I know I'm going to be getting in after exercise or similar.

Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
apparently vinyl is ULTRA repairable

if you match that with its mold and water resistant nature it really is the best choice imo unless you are building a mall crawler that will rarely remove the top.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was apprehensive about the vinyl until I saw it in person. It felt great and looked much better in person that what I've seen from the cloth. It was basically a smooth leather and felt soft. This ain't the vinyl that was in dads 1997 Chevy W/T.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Vinyl seats covering is tough, and last. But yes, it will give you butt sweats in the summer. If you don't want that, and don't need the vinyl, get cloth. Your posterior will thank you. :)

OP
OP
Wingman335

Wingman335

Badlands
First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, J200 Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nd" vehicles and i prefer the vinyl. Both could get hot (im in fl) esp if the tops off. The vinyl was more forgiving
Vinyl seats covering is tough, and last. But yes, it will give you butt sweats in the summer. If you don't want that, and don't need the vinyl, get cloth. Your posterior will thank you. :)
It seems that Vinyl would last a longer time and won't have to worry about getting rained on if I have the roof off. With cloth, it'll soak up the water/spills and will be a mess. Now, is this all worth dealing with the butt sweats?.... hmmm can't decide, haha!

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having had presumably marine grade vinyl on a boat for 12 years, I don't recall ever getting scorched on the seats/pads, certainly durable with people climbing all over them and getting wet and a lot of sun

Granted, it was white rather than black or grey......so that should add a few degrees but I don't have the science on it. Would be curious to see actual temperature testing results on colors.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was apprehensive about the vinyl until I saw it in person. It felt great and looked much better in person that what I've seen from the cloth. It was basically a smooth leather and felt soft. This ain't the vinyl that was in dads 1997 Chevy W/T.
I've heard this from numerous people that got to put their hands on it the past few weeks. That is why I will most likely stick with MGV. The only thing that may sway me is if my wife insists on power seats for my BL.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had the "Leatherette" (vinyl) seats in a MINI Cooper for a while, never found them to be too bad. Had the big sunroof, so it was a bit like a removeable top, they were not too hot or icy in the winter either. Seemed to hold up well (only had the car about 3 years due to other issues with it -- never keep a British car past the warrantee is the message I took from it). But, the seats were fine, never seared my legs, did not crack in sub-zero temperatures, so, they were OK.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you have had black leather in a vehicle, you shouldn't have any issue with the MGV. They are both really hot in the sun and aren't the most breathable materials. If you can anticipate and handle some soggy bottom in the Spring and Summer, you shouldn't have any issues. I would still go with the MGV over the cloth. It just makes sense from a maintenance perspective.

Jjirish

Badlands
First Name
Jjirsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you have seen it in person.... are the seats themselves comfortable?
Sponsored