Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

7, maybe 8. It is a Bronco, not a show car. It will get very dirty and get scratched. Maybe even bent and I will have fun. What me worry!
Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am pretty well done with 10 stuff at this point in my life. In fact I am in the process of "de-tuning" my FJ40. I will stick to 7-8 and maybe flirt with a nine here and there after I have worn the shine off the new Bronco.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran 8 (cliffhanger) a few days ago with a Samurai, 1 early Bronco nearly stock on 35s and a handful of full-size Broncos (82-96s). That trail wasn’t particularly hard. It certainly wasn’t something that was going to result in body damage with patience and a spotter in a couple of places. So 8 all day long for me. Sometimes a 9.

E1CA006F-CB59-4C60-84FE-F7591E69599B.jpeg

Not my rig, but this guy was cruising over this trail without a front locker!
that spot on Cliffhanger always makes me cringe, I have not yet done that trail and it'll be a while, the videos I saw from these steps, yikes! I imagine all you see from the driver's seat at times is that looooong drop off to your left. Gorgeous trail though.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Completely subjective question, that no one really knows the answer to because we have not been able to drive one yet...that being said, do we think the standard suspension & drivetrain and 32" tires will get us to level 5 maybe 6 for experienced drivers? From there is it lift/tire size that limits you or drivetrain/axel strength?
Yes

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll probably stick to Level 6...maybe an occassional Level 7...anyone think the Trail Turn Assist feature will allow this switchback at Black Bear Pass to be made without going into reverse and having to make the typical 3 to 4 point turn?

Screenshot_20210303-234945_YouTube.jpg
Finally a photo of Black Bear that illustrates what all the fuss is about. Looking at that photo, I can predict my mental state: “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine” “Holy Crap! Switchback!” “Holy Crap, Holy Crap, Holy Crap!” “Holy Crap! Switchback!” “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine . . .” All of this is based on my relationship as the driver to the drop off.
Most photos of that trail are very pretty, and leave me wondering why the notoriety. I’m assuming that’s because people are too busy driving/spotting to take pictures of the shitty parts.

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally a photo of Black Bear that illustrates what all the fuss is about. Looking at that photo, I can predict my mental state: “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine” “Holy Crap! Switchback!” “Holy Crap, Holy Crap, Holy Crap!” “Holy Crap! Switchback!” “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine . . .” All of this is based on my relationship as the driver to the drop off.
Most photos of that trail are very pretty, and leave me wondering why the notoriety. I’m assuming that’s because people are too busy driving/spotting to take pictures of the shitty parts.
People have driving Black Bear for decades. 2x4, 4x4, trucks, all 4 wheels that are/were drum brakes even, manual steering, etc lol. Today's vehicles are so more capable that vehicles of yesteryear that still safely made the trip. As with anything, driver capabilites usually make or break the trip.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I"ve never owned a Jeep or Bronco so we will find out. Here in MN most likely a 6 but now that I'm retired I may take it out to NorCal where I lived for 20 years and go to the Rubicon with several of my old neighbors that are serious about their off-roading.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How extreme are you going to take your Bronco?

Level 1: Only the smoothest roads and mall parking lots for me!
Level 0.5a.jpg

Level 2: I'll manage the potholes
Level 1.0a.jpg

Level 3: Smooth and well-maintained unpaved roads
Level 1.5a.jpg

Level 4: Ruts and washboards are OK
Level 2.0b.jpg

Level 5: Some of the rocky and rough stuff
Level 2.5a.jpg

Level 6: Bring on staircases and inclines!
Level 3.0b.png

Level 7: I'm going to test Sasquatch
Level 3.5b.jpg

Level 8: I'm going to have to do after-market mods to get where I'm going
Level 4.0b.jpg

Level 9: Look for me on YouTube
Level 4.5a.jpg

Level 10: I might need to be institutionalized!
Level 5.0a.jpg
Level 10 upside down and in my boxers until I wake up and realize the truck is still at DM.

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see pics like this and wonder how it doesn't tip over, let alone how it actually makes it up that hill. :eek:o_O
Look at the picture very closely and you can see the winch lead is attached to something to keep it from rolling over backwards.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

People have driving Black Bear for decades. 2x4, 4x4, trucks, all 4 wheels that are/were drum brakes even, manual steering, etc lol. Today's vehicles are so more capable that vehicles of yesteryear that still safely made the trip. As with anything, driver capabilites usually make or break the trip.
Really, the worst part is the first 150 yards dropping in next to the waterfall, steep, narrow and loose rock. After that it's just a matter of not driving off the edge.

Sponsored

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did 5 maybe borderline 6 this weekend in BadSquatch. A jeep group adopted me for 2 badge of honor trails (Snake and Fun Run) at Hot Springs ORV Park in Arkansas. First time doing anything like it and the Bronco did great. The jeeps wanted to winch me so bad, but it never gave them the chance.
20211002_111518.jpg

20211002_160315.jpg

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco will max at 6... Already have the Jeeps to do 9-10 with.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bronco will max at 6... Already have the Jeeps to do 9-10 with.
My '71 Bronco lived at a 6 with open diffs, though admittedly one had to choose lines very carefully. The new Wildtrak is much more capable than that.