Sponsored

How good OR Bad, will the base Bronco be off-road without Sas and lockers?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know if it's been established anywhere, but there needs to be definitions of 4WD levels. Like Class 1-5 rapids for white water.

Every time some says "will my non-sasquatch [or non 33" wheel) Bronco be good 4 wheeling", people answer to the most extreme level situations. But that's not what's being asked, usually. Can you go hunting or camping on snowy mountain forest service roads is the usual vision. Can you get through heavy mud in the SE to get to that waterfall?

My 30 years out West in NM and AZ has taught me that what used to be considered 4wheeling was driving old mining roads, unimproved wilderness roads, and driving through knee deep streams. I did all that in a 2WD B2000, then a 4WD 90s 4runner, and now 20 years in a 2WD F-150.

Today, everything is extreme. So everyone thinks of trying to walk your 4WD up a series of rock steps, down into bottomless canyons filled with boulders, or through water so deep you need a snorkel. That is way extreme - challenging to your vehicle, and at the edge of the capability envelope. When you buy a horse, you don't have to run it in the Kentucky Derby. But someone asks "will the base Bronco be good at 4WD?" and many say no, thinking of world class, extreme 4WD show off stunt driving.

Levels such as:
1 - well travelled dirt road, can be travelled by 2WD trucks or other high clearance vehicles.
2 - Some off camber sections, very steep hills with pea gravel, washouts, or mud puddles up to tire deep.
3. - stream crossings, some slick rock, small, flat boulders, never travelled except by 4WDs
4. - world class difficulty. Large slick rock steps, extreme steep hills, technically challenging obstacles. Only traversed by the most experienced 4WD drivers
I like this thread:

How extreme are you? | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Photos and brief descriptors. I'd guess up to a 5 in any Bronco, 6 with 32's, one locker and as the post says 7+ is Squatch time.
Sponsored

Wedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 FX4/ 2013 Mustang GT/ 2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m glad someone posted this question as I’m conflicted with my base build. I’d love to have the sas but I don’t really need it.

my 2018 FX4 has a rear locker and I’ve used it once. 4wd maybe 4 times. I’d rather spend my budget on the bumper, aux switches and the accessory wheels with 33’s and still spend less than the sas package alone.

now I just need someone to confirm which wheels are the right ones on the B&P. The ranger wheels in the picture, or the badlands optional wheels that it puts on the CGI Bronco when you select it.

anyone happen to know?

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
now I just need someone to confirm which wheels are the right ones on the B&P. The ranger wheels in the picture, or the badlands optional wheels that it puts on the CGI Bronco when you select it.

anyone happen to know?
I never noticed the optional wheels under accessories for the base. I'd take a guess and say they look like the picture, not the CGI.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’ll be fucking GREAT. Way better than the very early Bronco that is why we are even here.

jason1114

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you get the accessory wheels do they come with bigger tires than the 30’s??

Sponsored

Wedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the same question. Tire size goes up to a 32”. But the information doesn’t mention tires at all🤷🏻‍♂️

Wedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also, since I’m here, I still can’t decide between CG or VB.

And what if the 22 B&P has new cool color?

BE5OME1

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 SXT 4x4, 1967 Mustang, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm expecting DayStar to have a spacer & body lift combo to allow 35s. After that, 4L and a winch will let you do more than what most people will attempt.

The Badlands and Sasquatch package make doing those things much easier. The tech stuff on the automatic makes a few things easier than a manual transmission equipped Bronco.

I'm getting a manual transmission Badlands because I can afford to. I would get a base+squatch if I could live with an automatic. If the base Base was a necessary financial decision, then I would enjoy it and build it up more looks at first; spacer and 35s. Personally, I would try to hustle the extra cash to get a Base Squatch... that might kick you to MY22, though.

As I've grown older and busier, I try and get my vehicles as close to how I want them off the showroom floor.
I went from Badlands manual to Base ManSquatch and 99 my second reservation, still holding out for a MY21 Black Diamond Manual.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t fall for it, OP. If you’re even asking this question, the base will be fine for ya. It’s good to learn proper 4WD skill before moving up to all the toys IMO.

I RARELY use lockers in my off road driving unless I’m going over rather large rocks. That’s not to say I don’t at all.. but simple tricks like applying a little brake with your throttle to move past a slippery patch will get you REALLY far (limits slip).

I’m into winter camping/over landing and until my Tremor, got everywhere in a bog standard F250 4WD. It takes more skill to do this stuff in a base model 4WD, but do it and have a blast. If I can do it in a 10,000lb work truck, the Bronco will eat it up.

You can always add bells and whistles later once the warranty is up.

The campsite in the photo is remote. National forest dispersed camping at 10K feet in the dead of winter. Areas of snow multi feet deep. We camped at the only dry spot we found this year.. the typical plan is just to get lost in a national forest every year and end up someplace new.

The bronco is built like a tank. It is a huge upgrade from your standard SUV, even in base form.

Edit: none of the 4wd vehicles I used in Afghanistan or other deployments had fancy features like lockers or disconnecting sway bars. We got everywhere in the end, but at times it did take a little.. coercion.

96B76896-FDDA-41ED-BFB7-92635FAC151C.jpeg

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You should seriously consider a base, sas though.....A 2.7, auto, sas and aux switches is around $36,500 with the granger 2k off invoice deal. That is a lot of rig for that much money. A mansquatch would be even less.....

I know some have mentioned 35s...but the axles are not as beefy and its been mentioned 33 is as much as you really want to go....

33's and a rear locker....You'll go far!!! Agreed on the AUX switches....... 1500 for 33s, 800 bucks for wheels, 1.5k for a locker. AGain, your almost at a SAS....but you can always do these later when you have money.
I hope you're right. Just on B&P the Base Squatch, overhead switches, 2.7/Auto comes out at $40,115. And thats before local taxes. I'd like the roof rack & maybe tube step & thats was $42K+....If Granger could do a Basesquatch at $36,500 I'll be pinching myself red, but I'm skeptical. OH & then there's the unknown MY 22 price increase --- Uhg....
Sponsored

Last edited: