Sponsored

How important is the stabilizer bar disconnect?

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok, so I’m pretty much new to the idea of off roading/rock crawling/trail riding. The only limited experience I’ve had has been in the sand/desert. Now, with that being said. How important will the stabar disco be? I plan to still go to the desert but also want to go on trails and do mild rock crawling. Nothing that’s going to damage or hopefully not damage my $60k Bronco. All the videos we’ve seen of the Broncos being tested in Moab and even as recently as the qualifier run at KoH; would all that require the stabar disco? I’m currently ordering a WT, so will I be able to add this aftermarket if necessary? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
There will be reasonable cost disconnect kits, or you can make your own. I removed the sway bar entirely from the front of my CJ.

An open question though is the Bronco IFS, and to what extent and in what situations it relies on the sway bar for vehicle control. What I mean by that is, when off-roading, will it be fine to disconnect the swaybar at the trailhead, without suffering any negative handling consequences (body roll and such) while on the trail.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hydraulic disconnect will be very nice to have, but it shouldn't be too difficult to do manually. If you are going to manually disconnect, you're going to want to do it on flat ground prior to entering the trail, and you probably won't be able to reconnect until you are back on flat ground.

@indio22 brings up a good point about not knowing how IFS will handle in all situations, but I would say if you are under 20mph (the point where the sway bar would reengage) for the type of driving you are doing, then go ahead and disconnect at the trailhead. If you are planning on going fast for the entire trail or you're doing some desert running, I wouldn't worry about it.

You don't HAVE to disconnect ever, but it makes things much more comfortable on even mild trails. Do it once in a Jeep and you will know exactly what I mean. It won't be an exact comparison because the Bronco is IFS, but it will give you an idea of the difference.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's not important at all. It can be done with simple hand tools in less than 5 minutes. On the Raptor many have ditched the sway bar altogether.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco How important is the stabilizer bar disconnect? 1612993868916

Ford Bronco How important is the stabilizer bar disconnect? 1612993917461

How else are you gonna park? 😁

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From an old post when we first reserved our broncos. Search for "Stabilizer Bar Disconnect in Action". You can always save the $ and do it manually but as others noted, do it at the start of the trail.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
totally irrelevant for 95% of buyers

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IFS in the FJ with sway bar entirely removed 24/7, runs great on washboards, just fine at freeway speeds and greatest articulation alway available over obstacles. Increased spring rate helps reduce on street roll. Lifted vehicles already handle like boats, if your a racer automatic disconnects may be better for you... never see dirt you don't need it.

Biggest unknown is if you play in the rocks a lot and want the sway bar with disconnect gone you will end up with a dead "Hero Switch" and an unhappy computer that may treat you to a light show.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me? Very....

For many others? Not very....

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder what the cost would be to get it as a DIO?

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what the cost would be to get it as a DIO?
It’s probably not worth it. I looked into it on my JKU, but the cost was in the thousands and a set of manual quick disconnects is probably less than $100. A lot of the higher end Jeep lift kits even come with quick disconnects.

If you must add it afterwards, I would try and find a totaled Badlands or First Edition to pull it from. They will be hard to come by though. People scoop up front axles and sway bars from totaled Rubicon’s quickly.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s important to me...I’m sold on it. It’s a pain to disconnect and reconnect IFS swaybars. It’s hard to even find manual disconnects for Rangers and Tacomas, making me skeptical about them being readily available for Bronco, and I want a swaybar for the street, so I’m not taking it off. It’s worth it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor