Sponsored

How is Advancetrac diff from traction control and why turn it off?

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you hold down the traction control button, you start to turn off the advancetrac. I saw Shelby Hall do this when we did our ride along at KOH but don’t remember why. I think she did it when doing trail turn assist. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Traction control removes torque and applies brake power to individual wheels

Advanced 4x4 applies torque/power to individual wheels

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Traction control removes torque and applies brake power to individual wheels

Advanced 4x4 applies torque/power to individual wheels
Is advanced 4x4 the same as Advancetrac? I thought these were separate things? 🤔

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is advanced 4x4 the same as Advancetrac? I thought these were separate things? 🤔
Yes, separate
The hero button up top shuts off traction control

The 4A button on goat dial engages advance-trac 4x4

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, separate
The hero button up top shuts off traction control

The 4A button on goat dial engages advance-trac 4x4
But if you hold down that hero button it starts turning off Advancetrac. So what is the purpose of that?

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It turns off or limits more the stability control system.

It being winter here and slick streets the first thing I do is turn off traction control when I get in. Some days I like to be able to get sideways leaving a corner. If you don't turn off the stability control you aren't getting sideways, it will snap you back in line.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4A and Advancetrac are completely seperate things and only work together if "4A" has been activated. All 4A does is shift to 4x4 if it feels you losing traction. "Advancetrac" however, is a system that includes controlling torque to specific wheels (traction control) but also can influence braking and steering input. When Shelby turned it off for you at KOH she was probably trying to slide around and do "rally" turns. Advancetrac won't allow for that because it will regulate wheel spin, and also regulate braking and steering so that a slide is almost impossible.

If you want to see/feel advancetrac in action it's not hard to manipulate it into activating. In a safe place, when it's wet/snowy/icy you can hit the gas hard and feel whats going on, you can hear the workings of it and feel the truck shudder while slowly pulling away in a pretty controlled manner. It's pretty cool actually. The advancetrac light on the dash will flash to let you know the system in activated. Most people don't need to ever turn it off.

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4A and Advancetrac are completely seperate things and only work together if "4A" has been activated. All 4A does is shift to 4x4 if it feels you losing traction. "Advancetrac" however, is a system that includes controlling torque to specific wheels (traction control) but also can influence braking and steering input. When Shelby turned it off for you at KOH she was probably trying to slide around and do "rally" turns. Advancetrac won't allow for that because it will regulate wheel spin, and also regulate braking and steering so that a slide is almost impossible.

If you want to see/feel advancetrac in action it's not hard to manipulate it into activating. In a safe place, when it's wet/snowy/icy you can hit the gas hard and feel whats going on, you can hear the workings of it and feel the truck shudder while slowly pulling away in a pretty controlled manner. It's pretty cool actually. The advancetrac light on the dash will flash to let you know the system in activated. Most people don't need to ever turn it off.
Cool. Thanks for that explanation! 👍🏽

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went to Team O'Neil Rally schools Rally fest with My 2-door base Manual Bronco. They had a cone course setup; I did 2 runs. The First run I shut Traction Control off and the 2nd run I shut advance trac off.

It felt like advance trac being off made me a lot slower than traction control off.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4A and Advancetrac are completely seperate things and only work together if "4A" has been activated. All 4A does is shift to 4x4 if it feels you losing traction.
I keep seeing this said here a lot, but it is not quite the full story.

The system in 4A is continuously varying the power to the front drive line. It doesn't just engage when slipping, it uses a bunch of data points to control how much power is going to the fronts at any given time. Something as simple as the vehicle being under acceleration will have the power evenly distributed between all 4 wheels.

It behaves nearly the same as the full time AWD did in my Edge. The only difference is the edge was front wheel drive first and the AWD would send the power to the rear when needed. The bronco is rear wheel drive and sends it to the front when needed.

Try it for yourself. Throw the Bronco in 4A, switch your dash display to 'Power Distribution' and see what it does. You'll probably be surprised that power will be going to all 4 wheels under most conditions. The only time I see it really only sending it to the rear is at a steady speed on a flat road. And 4A is fine to use on pavement, unlike 4L/4H.

Ford's wording in the brochures can be confusing. It blurs the line between the modes, listing features of each of them all together.

Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement:
This system utilizes an all-new electronically controlled, on-demand two-speed Transfer Case and offers the driver four modes plus Neutral. It continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all off-road conditions, provides electronically locked power to both axles in challenging conditions and can also increase wheel torque for driving over challenging conditions or towing heavy objects.

The continuously varying of power is the 4A system. The 'electronically locked power' I believe is the locking differentials. It's my understanding 4A will not do anything with the differentials, it really is just like AWD on other vehicles. And all the 'challenging conditions' is referring to the various goat modes available.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the opportunity to attend the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs. Very interesting! All the cars were Toyota’s but with traction control…AdvanceTrack. We drove the cars on a solid ice track and it was very interesting to see not only the individual wheel braking response but also the throttle response as we pushed the cars to “the limit” on the ice. Excellent technology!

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It felt like advance trac being off made me a lot slower than traction control off.
It would have been nice to actually mention that in the video somewhere. Maybe even include stopwatch times or something. I couldn't tell anything useful at all from watching the video by itself.
Sponsored