Sponsored

How long until someone figures out a fix / tweak / mod to pull the rear soft top window tight?

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dang I never thought I was too terribly OCD until now, every new thread about owners picking up their new Bronco's and if it has a soft top they all have the same horizontal wavey back window look. I have a soft top 4 door Bronco with a build date coming up and I keep looking for a post from someone saying they have fixed the wrinkly back soft top window. I am hopeful a strip of pipe insulation along the top bar above the window may do the trick or a shortening of the window tops buckle straps; if possible. See I told ya I'm too OCD, In the grand scheme of things it's not a deal breaker I will certainly accept it, but not without a fight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dang I never thought I was too terribly OCD until now, every new thread about owners picking up their new Bronco's and if it has a soft top they all have the same horizontal wavey look. I have a soft top 4 door Bronco with a build date coming up and I keep looking for a post from someone saying they have fixed the wrinkly back soft top window. I am hopeful a strip of pipe insulation along the top bar above the window may do the trick or a shortening of the window tops buckle straps; if possible. See I told ya I'm too OCD, In the grand scheme of things it's not a deal breaker I will certainly accept it, but not without a fight.
Itā€™s not just you; Iā€™ve pondered the same thing. Even wondered if someone would come out with replacement rear window panels that fit a bit better. The big unknown is do the rear windows have to be like that for rear tilt up feature to work, or is it just ill fitment. Time will tell.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder if Iā€™m the only one 100% unbothered by the soft windows.

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wonder if two pool noodles would get it straight.

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I recall from the soft top removal video, those window pieces come off separately. I would be willing to lose the rear pop up feature and replace those side window pieces with a glass window piece. I realize they would have to be removed to open the top as well. I wonder if after market will make them.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Itā€™s not just you; Iā€™ve pondered the same thing. Even wondered if someone would come out with replacement rear window panels that fit a bit better. The big unknown is do the rear windows have to be like that for rear tilt up feature to work, or is it just ill fitment. Time will tell.
having owned 6 soft top / convertible vehicles and installed tops on many of them. it is my opinion, this is a design aspect to facilitate ease of use. if the components are too tight, they will be difficult to remove or fold. it would appear the sides are tensioned when they are installed. they are not mechanically stretched both horizontally and vertically, only horizontally. to have tension in both directions would be near impossible. the windows on my old YJ wrangler were locked in place by a channel and zippers. they were a real pain in the back side to remove and reinstall, reducing the frequency of dropping the top. there really is no way to get the flat look. maybe someone will make a plexiglass panel for replacing these. but chances are after a day or two it won't matter anymore. soft tops need to be replaced, so there will be aftermarket attempts at improvements...

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Itā€™s not the tilt up featureā€¦itā€™s poor fitment and clear material that is too thin. Hopefully Webasto offer stiffer rear windows aftermarket to fix their stupid wavy windows. There is no way Ford intended in their spec to them to allow thatā€¦.look at new windows on the Bestop fastback the versionā€¦perfect. Itā€™s not that hardā€¦

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

maybe someone will make a plexiglass panel for replacing these. but chances are after a day or two it won't matter anymore. soft tops need to be replaced, so there will be aftermarket attempts at improvements...
Your explanation of having only horizontal tension makes sense. Iā€™m sure it was a calculated trade off between ease of use and wrinkle free windows. I like the smooth window look of the Bestop, but I like the mechanics and use ability of the factory top more. The hard plastic window upgrade will be tempting if the market offers one, but as you pointed out these things need replacing every 5-7 years anyway. Iā€™ll probably just live with it as-is until itā€™s time for that replacement. Appreciate the perspective coming from someone whoā€™s actually lived with soft tops before on Jeeps. Iā€™ve never had a convertible (same with a bunch of others here), and it shows.

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s not the tilt up featureā€¦itā€™s poor fitment and clear material that is too thin. Hopefully Webasto offer stiffer rear windows aftermarket to fix their stupid wavy windows. There is no way Ford intended in their spec to them to allow thatā€¦.look at new windows on the Bestop fastback the versionā€¦perfect. Itā€™s not that hardā€¦
I thought the stock soft top was made by Bestop.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Your explanation of having only horizontal tension makes sense. Iā€™m sure it was a calculated trade off between ease of use and wrinkle free windows. I like the smooth window look of the Bestop, but I like the mechanics and use ability of the factory top more. The hard plastic window upgrade will be tempting if the market offers one, but as you pointed out these things need replacing every 5-7 years anyway. Iā€™ll probably just live with it as-is until itā€™s time for that replacement. Appreciate the perspective coming from someone whoā€™s actually lived with soft tops before on Jeeps. Iā€™ve never had a convertible (same with a bunch of others here), and it shows.
Bestop offers a canvas top with GLASS AND WASHER for the Wrangler .... glass is removable too. I contacted them and they said unfortunately they have no immediate plans for a similar product for the Bronco, but hopefully that will change.

I think its pricey but to me well worth it .... check it out ....DRAWBACK: it doesn't fold all the way back, so you cant drive it like a convertible as you can with the factory top

here's a better one, but not by bestop

Sponsored

Last edited: