Sponsored

How Long will the Bronco be in Production?

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My next guess is 5 years for EV Bronco. 10-15 before you can't buy a New ICE Vehicle
Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And how many miles range will you have to get to the middle of no where?

Some of us who have been in engineering more than a few years understand the amount of time it takes to see some technologies to critical mass. Fuels cells, yup, one project I worked on in the 90's was promised we would have have handheld size field ready units in two years, still waiting.
And for someone in engineering, I would certainly hope you would be able to appreciate the rate of change and progress on these technologies. I did not say it will be tomorrow, but it is not that far off to expect that you will be able to get an equal or greater range than a gasoline vehicle and there will be an infrastructure to support it.

It will take time, but to imply (as some have) that this will never happen is not realistic. The advances in the battery and material technologies for capacity, recharging, cost and material are amazing. I don't think there is any dispute that an electric motor can provide a superior response in power to a gas engine, but it comes, currently, at a sacrifice or compromise that makes it unsuitable for this particular application, whether it be range, recharging locations or cost. But those will resolve and the winner will be the "better" technology because the market will drive it - whatever it might be. I would not rule out EVs at some point in the Bronco future. Didn't the just announce a PHEV version of the Ranger today?

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You missed the point...definitely not getting the Bronco for its acceleration, power, or torque...if that’s what you’re getting it for, there’s a range of vehicles with lots more acceleration, power, and torque..,gas and or EV...
I wasn't replying to you or anything you wrote. I am speaking in general about the reluctance to embrace a new technology while I am seeing people begging for V8s and torque and HP. So do they really want that, or as some have admitted, do they just want a big growling engine. Yes, it will take time and a transition period, but the performance stats will drive as we are already seeing. It'll be interesting to see the impact of Rivian and Hummer in the truck segment and what happens.

Hell, my wife's RAV4 Prime will likely kick my Bronco's ass for acceleration, but it isn't able to go to the places I want to go...

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

And for someone in engineering, I would certainly hope you would be able to appreciate the rate of change and progress on these technologies. I did not say it will be tomorrow, but it is not that far off to expect that you will be able to get an equal or greater range than a gasoline vehicle and there will be an infrastructure to support it.

It will take time, but to imply (as some have) that this will never happen is not realistic. The advances in the battery and material technologies for capacity, recharging, cost and material are amazing. I don't think there is any dispute that an electric motor can provide a superior response in power to a gas engine, but it comes, currently, at a sacrifice or compromise that makes it unsuitable for this particular application, whether it be range, recharging locations or cost. But those will resolve and the winner will be the "better" technology because the market will drive it - whatever it might be. I would not rule out EVs at some point in the Bronco future. Didn't the just announce a PHEV version of the Ranger today?
I hope no one ever thinks it is a smart idea to build charging stations everywhere, in the middle of no where.

PHEV is fine, but it is not non-ICE that some demand (not me).

Writing ideas of future possibilities is much different then actually being in the lab and seeing what it takes to bring technology to life.

Last edited:

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope no one ever thinks it is a smart idea to build charging stations everywhere, in the middle of no where.

PHEV is fine, but it is not non-ICE that some demand.

Writing ideas of future possibilities is much different then actually being in the lab and seeing what it takes to bring technology to life.
Why did my wife get a PHEV instead of an EV - because the range it has suits her everyday driving and she did not want "range anxiety". The new Mustang Mach-e would likely be all the range she needed, but it is not what she wanted. I'm not sure why you are implying this stuff is 'science fiction'. We see the advances, in commercially available products, incrementally improving constantly. Sometimes even more than incremental.

I'm in the tech business - the kind of computing power advances in the last 10 years, let alone in my lifetime were unthinkable. I have a vacuum tube from ENIAC - it took rooms to house it and it 'only' calculated artillery firing tables. It was abandoned for probably 25 years by the time I was in my CSE110 class programming FORTRAN on Hollerith cards on a Sperry 90/70. Yet by the time I graduated, the Personal Computer revolution was spawned and soon we had "massive" 5 megabyte hard drives. 2 years ago you could get an SD card with 1TB of storage, and they just developed the specs for a 128TB SD card.

Battery technologies are mimicking the Moore's Law kinds of behaviors. It's pretty cool and I can't wait to see where it goes. And yeah, I'm probably old enough to not get to realize the benefit of it, much like I'm gonna bitch that in my day we just had to put up with losing our hair and didn't have those fancy genome therapies...so I'll need the sunscreen for my topless Bronco ;) (or a hat)

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Why did my wife get a PHEV instead of an EV - because the range it has suits her everyday driving and she did not want "range anxiety". The new Mustang Mach-e would likely be all the range she needed, but it is not what she wanted. I'm not sure why you are implying this stuff is 'science fiction'. We see the advances, in commercially available products, incrementally improving constantly. Sometimes even more than incremental.

I'm in the tech business - the kind of computing power advances in the last 10 years, let alone in my lifetime were unthinkable. I have a vacuum tube from ENIAC - it took rooms to house it and it 'only' calculated artillery firing tables. It was abandoned for probably 25 years by the time I was in my CSE110 class programming FORTRAN on Hollerith cards on a Sperry 90/70. Yet by the time I graduated, the Personal Computer revolution was spawned and soon we had "massive" 5 megabyte hard drives. 2 years ago you could get an SD card with 1TB of storage, and they just developed the specs for a 128TB SD card.

Battery technologies are mimicking the Moore's Law kinds of behaviors. It's pretty cool and I can't wait to see where it goes. And yeah, I'm probably old enough to not get to realize the benefit of it, much like I'm gonna bitch that in my day we just had to put up with losing our hair and didn't have those fancy genome therapies...so I'll need the sunscreen for my topless Bronco ;) (or a hat)
I get it, but "incrementally improving constantly" is where battery technology is at, not "mimicking the Moore's Law kinds of behaviors". Oh yes, you left out RLL formatting hard drives and 8" floppy disks. ;)

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it, but "incrementally improving constantly" is where battery technology is at, not "mimicking the Moore's Law kinds of behaviors". Oh yes, you left out RLL formatting hard drives and 8" floppy disks. ;)
Indeed, but it was a response, not War and Peace...cause then we'd get into telecouplers, or 300 baud modems and the fact that we can complain about not having perfect interactive video over mobile comms speeds :ROFLMAO:

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is anyone else wondering the same thing that I am......Usually for a brand new model there are so many years they will be produced- before changing the design, new, improved model, etc. With the strong coming of EV's and some manufacturer's announcing full change over to EV's relatively soon- will the Bronco production be short, then change to EV or stop? Is Ford too late in the game of gas powered engines to introduce this wonderful new Bronco? I am getting one and will be retiring in 5 years. This Bronco is my last new vehicle. If gas climbs so high it forces us to EV's, what will become of our Broncos and all gas engine cars? Will they be worthless that no one will want them or buy them due to skyrocketing gas prices? Is this even something to worry about and is anyone thinking about migrating to EV?
While EV will be thing, I would not get spun up about electric just yet.
We do not have enough power generation in this country to support a wholesale changeout for EV’s. In order to support EV’s it going to require a significant number of new Power Plants, via Solar, Wind, Hydro, Coal, Gas and Nuclear we are years and years away from this happening. As we all witnessed last week what happened in Texas....wind and solar are not reliable forms of power. Currently in this country we don’t have any new Power Plants (coal, natural gas fired co-gens or nuclear) being built in the U.S. Solar and Wind only and simply said not reliable.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Indeed, but it was a response, not War and Peace...cause then we'd get into telecouplers, or 300 baud modems and the fact that we can complain about not having perfect interactive video over mobile comms speeds :ROFLMAO:
From my historical tech collection.

Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 100 with modem.

Ford Bronco How Long will the Bronco be in Production? 640

Last edited:

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

We do not have enough power generation in this country to support a wholesale changeout for EV’s. In order to support EV’s it going to require a significant number of new Power Plants, via Solar, Wind, Hydro, Coal, Gas and Nuclear we are years and years away from this happening. As we all witnessed last week what happened in Texas....wind and solar are not reliable forms of power. Currently in this country we don’t have any new Power Plants (coal, natural gas fired co-gens or nuclear) being built in the U.S. Solar and Wind only and simply said not reliable.
Some witnessed it, some of us lived it, still waiting to see what my power bill will be.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From my historical tech collection.

Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 100

Ford Bronco How Long will the Bronco be in Production? 640
đź‘Ť Nice! I was reminiscing with someone the other day about a programming class we had with the paper tape punch rolls and how it sucked when they tore when reloading/running...

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some witnessed it, some of us lived it, still waiting to see what my power bill will be.
It is criminal if they allow that to happen. There were laws about profiteering in disasters and those companies need to be charging at their rate prior to the event, not being allowed to do this you to and your fellow Texans. I could not believe that they had automatic withdrawals already working - looks like their data center was kept up and running...

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There were many repeated failures of gas and coal units in Texas that failed in 2011 during the last “once in a lifetime” event. They even had a nuclear unit go offline, wind was generating as planned in areas that took precautions when building their wind farms for weather.

Diverse fleets are key to running a stable grid, wind can definitely be reliable as designed. Does reliable mean it can replace our base load? No, but it can supplement base load and be used to balance cost and reduce our carbon footprint.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There were many repeated failures of gas and coal units in Texas that failed in 2011 during the last “once in a lifetime” event. They even had a nuclear unit go offline, wind was generating as planned in areas that took precautions when building their wind farms for weather.

Diverse fleets are key to running a stable grid, wind can definitely be reliable as designed. Does reliable mean it can replace our base load? No, but it can supplement base load and be used to balance cost and reduce our carbon footprint.
I love that everyone has a new football to kick around.

Me and my house, we had 40 power blackouts (as monitored by my alarm system) over three days of the storm, we don't give a dam about your carbon footprint, we just want heat and hot water.
Sponsored

Last edited: