Sponsored

How many have experienced issues w/ Tcase control module?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many owners thus far have experienced the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" message on their cluster?

2021 4dr BL, 2.7, lux, tow w/ 4,950 miles

Wife had the error pop up on 3/13 (forced it into 4H while she was sitting at a light) and 3/15 (forced it into 4A while driving 30mph). Both times, she couldn't switch it into 2H and after she pulled off the road and shut the bronco off and back on, the message cleared. Found a few DTCs stored in the computer even though the DTC on the dash wasn't lit up. No issue with the harness rubbing below the tub.

Dealership called yesterday and stated transfer case control module is faulty, Ford will not release the bronco to my wife as its unsafe (which is fine I wouldn't want it stranding my wife anyways) while waiting for the part. They put an urgent/rush request on the part and hope to have it by Monday, so we'll see.

Never had issue w/ the F150 Tcase control module and my jeep is as reliable as you can get with the old school front locking hubs and 4wd pull handle.

What sucks, is she'll now need to drive my giant lifted f150 around town for work and unable to pull into parking garages around here, forcing her to parallel park which should be comical, not to mention she's never driven my truck in winter snowy weather.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't see anyone chime in and I know others have had issues but as of this afternoon, there has been no resolution yet on the wife's Bronco after a new module was installed today. Tech stated its worse now than when it was pulled into service. I also know he's working on it because both my wife and I are receiving the alerts on our phones.

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm pretty sure that's what they are replacing in mine at the moment. I had a service 4x4 and reduced power code pop up. 4x4 will not engage. The dealer is telling me its the powertrain control module. They started off replacing a couple electrical connectors, then an axle, and now they are down to this module lol. Been 2 months without 4x4!

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm pretty sure that's what they are replacing in mine at the moment. I had a service 4x4 and reduced power code pop up. 4x4 will not engage. The dealer is telling me its the powertrain control module. They started off replacing a couple electrical connectors, then an axle, and now they are down to this module lol. Been 2 months without 4x4!
Wow that's awful. Not sure why your guys jumped to the axle before trying the modules. 2 months without 4x4 or 2 months without the Bronco?

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow that's awful. Not sure why your guys jumped to the axle before trying the modules. 2 months without 4x4 or 2 months without the Bronco?
I have been driving it for two months with those issues. Luckily it drives the same just is down on some MPG's. No idea man, its out of my control though. I just want the thing fixed.

Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Latest update 3/22:
Tech installed the new module but its now throwing new codes so he’s going to continue tracking down the issue and will start with wiring harness under/inside the wheel well. They did admit, this is their first fullsize Bronco in the shop for something like this. I can believe it because there are only a handful around my area and others would be going to some of the other dealerships more south.

What’s odd though, is I received alerts on my phone yesterday after he installed the new module as it threw the same code but I haven't received anything since which is strange.

Wife is pretty bummed, they finally got her a rental car today (Bronco Sport BB) and told her lets start with 4days. I find it very unlikely that at this point she’ll have her Bronco back in 4days.

Her first comment after she drove the rental home was “this thing is tiny and a POS compared to my real bronco” lol.

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wanted to provide an update on this after the wife was able to pick up her Bronco late last week.

It ended up being the AWD module (MB3Z7P238D) and appears that when the tech reconnected everything, one of the connections wasn't secure or had some moisture in it, so the tech ended up adding some dielectric grease and all has been good for the 200 miles she has driven since.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How many owners thus far have experienced the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" message on their cluster?

2021 4dr BL, 2.7, lux, tow w/ 4,950 miles

Wife had the error pop up on 3/13 (forced it into 4H while she was sitting at a light) and 3/15 (forced it into 4A while driving 30mph). Both times, she couldn't switch it into 2H and after she pulled off the road and shut the bronco off and back on, the message cleared. Found a few DTCs stored in the computer even though the DTC on the dash wasn't lit up. No issue with the harness rubbing below the tub.

Dealership called yesterday and stated transfer case control module is faulty, Ford will not release the bronco to my wife as its unsafe (which is fine I wouldn't want it stranding my wife anyways) while waiting for the part. They put an urgent/rush request on the part and hope to have it by Monday, so we'll see.

Never had issue w/ the F150 Tcase control module and my jeep is as reliable as you can get with the old school front locking hubs and 4wd pull handle.

What sucks, is she'll now need to drive my giant lifted f150 around town for work and unable to pull into parking garages around here, forcing her to parallel park which should be comical, not to mention she's never driven my truck in winter snowy weather.
They didn’t give her a loaner vehicle? Any time any of my vehicles had warranty work that was going to be over night the dealer has always had a loaner ready to go until my vehicle was ready to go. If they didn’t offer I would ask for one. Heck that’s how I ended up in a Bronco. My F250 went had to go in for the day and I jokingly asked you don’t have a new bronco I could drive overnight. He came back with yup I’ll have it ready when you drop off the truck. Then my wife and I were hooked.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wanted to provide an update on this after the wife was able to pick up her Bronco late last week.

It ended up being the AWD module (MB3Z7P238D) and appears that when the tech reconnected everything, one of the connections wasn't secure or had some moisture in it, so the tech ended up adding some dielectric grease and all has been good for the 200 miles she has driven since.
electrical issues/ computer issues are a royal pain to track down. Only time and experience with the equipment tends to hasten the remedy (I’m in aviation, and 9 times out of ten our issues are computer, sensor or wire harness related).

I know Ford was selling the “anyone can go off road with our goat modes” approach, but I’d rather a mechanical transfer case all day. In an ideal world, it would have a mechanical e brake, mechanical transfer case, air or mechanical lockers, etc. The computers/ excessive electrical components are not only slowing down production, but they seem to causing the majority of service issues. Anyway, thanks for sharing and I hope you a have worry free driving experience going forward.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
electrical issues/ computer issues are a royal pain to track down. Only time and experience with the equipment tends to hasten the remedy (I’m in aviation, and 9 times out of ten our issues are computer, sensor or wire harness related).

I know Ford was selling the “anyone can go off road with our goat modes” approach, but I’d rather a mechanical transfer case all day. In an ideal world, it would have a mechanical e brake, mechanical transfer case, air or mechanical lockers, etc. The computers/ excessive electrical components are not only slowing down production, but they seem to causing the majority of service issues. Anyway, thanks for sharing and I hope you a have worry free driving experience going forward.
Agree. Like in my jeep. The shifter cable plastic connector shattered and I couldn't put it into gear to reverse out of a parking spot and I crawled underneath with a zip tie, hooked it back up and was able to drive to the dealership for the $3 fitting until I could install a bolt and nut in its place fixing it for good.

Im not too confident at this point that this thing can really take the water crossings or even a car wash or pressure washer spraying the underside. My f150 lights up the dash with codes after every 2-3 car washes, so I just keep my OBD dongle in the truck. Half the time the codes reduce the engines power thinking something is faulty and all I did was go through a car wash. Thankfully it at least has a manual ebrake. Both the truck and Bronco have the ebrake used multiple times a day parking in my driveway.

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They didn’t give her a loaner vehicle? Any time any of my vehicles had warranty work that was going to be over night the dealer has always had a loaner ready to go until my vehicle was ready to go. If they didn’t offer I would ask for one. Heck that’s how I ended up in a Bronco. My F250 went had to go in for the day and I jokingly asked you don’t have a new bronco I could drive overnight. He came back with yup I’ll have it ready when you drop off the truck. Then my wife and I were hooked.
Eventually they did after having the bronco for week. Only because I made my wife call them and light a fire under the service advisors rear. Thing is, the SA admitted to her that she probably knew more about the bronco and the issue/cause than he did.

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They installed a new module and the codes come and go. Wondering if this is the same issue I'm having. Maybe a bad connection or moisture is getting in it?

JOMONJOE

Badlands
First Name
JOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, after 4600 miles on my badlands sasquatch, 2.7 , I just received the same check 4x4 message. crawled all around underneath checking wires and plugs, fuses etc. Even disconnected battery for twenty minutes (old school). Still same error message. Dealer can't get me in for 3 weeks, and other dealer even longer. once they get it in, they will most likely have to order the module only, and they say 4-6 weeks? I ordered one online from a ford parts dealer, 192.00 is cheap I thought compared to waiting. I'll keep my appt. and if I can figure out where this bugger is, I'll swap them. Dealer told me to order now, there were only 59 available and due to chip shortages. Anyone have any updates or location of the module, or even if I can swap without programming?
Sponsored