Sponsored

How much does the front end lower/sag with heavy bumper/winch?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you install a heavy duty bumper and winch and remove the plastic front bumper how much does it lower the front end? I don't see a lot of people talking about it and it seems like there Is a good amount of switching out oem for aftermarket w/winch. Do you lift/level/stiffen the front or just live with it? How much lower did yours go down in front? Is the SAS suspension different with plastic/modular/capable bumpers to compensate for weight difference upfront?
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How much do you weigh? Stand on the front bumper and have a look. The average large winch bumper with winch will add about 200lbs.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a four-door WT. Installing rock rails (Bodyguard) and Front Bumper (BAMF overland) with a winch and synthetic rope, my front end is 1 to 1.5" lower.

Fyi..that was about 300lbs added weight

OP
OP
Lak34ers

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a four-door WT. Installing rock rails (Bodyguard) and Front Bumper (BAMF overland) with a winch and synthetic rope, my front end is 1 to 1.5" lower.

Fyi..that was about 300lbs added weight
Did you level it or just living with it?

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue with my SAS Badlands, swapped the factory front Bilsteins for ICON Dynamics 2.5 ride height adjustable shocks. Reused the SAS springs and brought the front end up.

Not that great of before and after pics, but the one with the cover is after the Icon's were installed:

Ford Bronco How much does the front end lower/sag with heavy bumper/winch? IMG_3402
Ford Bronco How much does the front end lower/sag with heavy bumper/winch? IMG_3648

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d like to add a winch, but I’m concerned about the extra weight and front squat. I’m looking at a 50 pound JCR aluminum bumper with winch mount and a 55 pound winch with synthetic line. Compared to my stock mod bumper with the JCR prerunner bar I’ll end up within about 5 pounds of where I’m at now and not have to worry about the suspension. I may do an aluminum skid plate as well, but there isn’t that much weight to lose there.

I posted a thread with details.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/lightweight-winch-bumper-combo.64372/

OP
OP
Lak34ers

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’d like to add a winch, but I’m concerned about the extra weight and front squat. I’m looking at a 50 pound JCR aluminum bumper with winch mount and a 55 pound winch with synthetic line. Compared to my stock mod bumper with the JCR prerunner bar I’ll end up within about 5 pounds of where I’m at now and not have to worry about the suspension. I may do an aluminum skid plate as well, but there isn’t that much weight to lose there.

I posted a thread with details.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/lightweight-winch-bumper-combo.64372/
I wouldn't worry. I took off all my plastic...bumper and skid plates. Replaced with BAMF Bumper, Winch and steal skid plates probably about 200 extra pounds and it is fine. Actually the extra weight makes it drive better and still might do a leveling kit but not a big deal when I drove it today. I will measure tomorrow to see what the front sag is now. Might be an inch...

20230131_165411.jpg

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't worry. I took off all my plastic...bumper and skid plates. Replaced with BAMF Bumper, Winch and steal skid plates probably about 200 extra pounds and it is fine. Actually the extra weight makes it drive better and still might do a leveling kit but not a big deal when I drove it today. I will measure tomorrow to see what the front sag is now. Might be an inch...

Ford Bronco How much does the front end lower/sag with heavy bumper/winch? 20230131_165411
Good looking rig, 2.3 or 2.7? 2.3 guys were reporting brake dive after adding a winch due to the lighter front springs. 4 door 2.7 apparently has the heaviest springs. The recommendation was to swap to 2.7 springs when adding the bumper and winch. My Badlands 2.3L 7MT is already porky, I’m trying to shave weight wherever possible (within reason) while making it more capable. I love the way mine drives now, I don’t want to spoil it. Adding weight between the axles is not as much of a concern as fore or aft of them.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you level it or just living with it?
Right now I've left it but may be looking at getting it back later. Still building out my rig so I'm going to wait.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The factory warn winch and mount plate put my wife’s down a good inch. We already had the mod bumper. We have a 3.5” lift and it has about the factory rake with the winch on. I’d like to swap to V6 springs up from to compensate. Maybe one of these days.

OP
OP
Lak34ers

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good looking rig, 2.3 or 2.7? 2.3 guys were reporting brake dive after adding a winch due to the lighter front springs. 4 door 2.7 apparently has the heaviest springs. The recommendation was to swap to 2.7 springs when adding the bumper and winch. My Badlands 2.3L 7MT is already porky, I’m trying to shave weight wherever possible (within reason) while making it more capable. I love the way mine drives now, I don’t want to spoil it. Adding weight between the axles is not as much of a concern as fore or aft of them.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was wondering if you had Sasquatch, were there different springs depending on if you had say a plastic bumper versus the Badlands with the metal bumper in the added factory winch?

Or is it once you go to Sasquatch it's all the same regardless?

OP
OP
Lak34ers

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was wondering if you had Sasquatch, were there different springs depending on if you had say a plastic bumper versus the Badlands with the metal bumper in the added factory winch?

Or is it once you go to Sasquatch it's all the same regardless?
I have the Sasquatch package. That is a good question on the springs. I would guess all Sasquatch springs are the same across the board but it would be good to know for sure.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you have the yellow struts (badlands or Sasquatch) some 1.25“ perch collars from wild horses 4x4 will bring you back up to normal after a heavy winch and added armor. I used some and really liked the outcome.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/perch-collar-level-kit-ford-bronco/4-Door-Bronco-Suspension
You’ve since picked up the Eibach springs, right? What’s your current setup and do you like it? My 2.7 sas has lost noticeable height in the front from my skids, sliders, and apex winch
Sponsored