Sponsored

How much more capable is the Base to the original Bronco?

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Did I miss something? Was one of the 200 accessories a PTO? If so, the new one is more capable. If not.........:unsure:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fun replies. As usual I was overly vague. I have intention of looking for some old Bronco, especially with the chest spear steering column. Purely a thought of out on the trails, how close did they come to base in capability.

I had seen from what I was looking at, that you could get Limited Slip on them.

Just a curiosity question. Was reading about the Rod Hall and got me wondering. Looks like stock the ground clearance was maybe a couple inches less. I do have a soft spot for 289/302's. First car had a 302 out of a wrecked Bronco.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Where the new one will be much better is prepped/sealed for water crossing. This will be much better sealed and no need to dump the diff and transfer case after a deep water cross.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Dad's bronco was an 87 so not nearly as vintage, but my main takeaway and general love for the bronco was that his 87 literally was unstuckable.... Fondest memory was using it to pull out our f350 diesel that didn't have 4x4 that had gotten stuck.
Sorry I kinda missed the mark on the question lol

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Disposable lighters? That's old school. You need to keep up...
All the cool kids have old Zippo cases with new USB rechargeable electronic lighter inserts.?
UGH, i did this with a glow in the dark zippo i bought and regret it....

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's the only thing bugging me about the base... the open diff. If you could add a rear locker to the Base like you can to the BB, I'd do that in a heartbeat!

Yes, plenty of folks on here claiming most of us don't know what a locker is for and might never use one, but where I drive to camp, I've been almost stuck a few times when a rear locker would have made the situation way less stressful.

But you're right, with the open diff I would be slipping and having a hell of a time getting up some of our sand-covered steep roads and the old EB would be fine.
If that is your biggest worry, you should be able to add a limited slip or locker in the rear of the Base. I had a TrueTrac I added in my CJ7 and liked the performance on and off road, even with its short wheelbase. As stated somewhere in another thread, the rear is a Dana 44 M220 and should have a bunch of options right out of the gate because it is an existing axle used by Jeep. A front locker is a nice to have but not necessary for modest trails.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If that is your biggest worry, you should be able to add a limited slip or locker in the rear of the Base. I had a TrueTrac I added in my CJ7 and liked the performance on and off road, even with its short wheelbase. As stated somewhere in another thread, the rear is a Dana 44 M220 and should have a bunch of options right out of the gate because it is an existing axle used by Jeep. A front locker is a nice to have but not necessary for modest trails.
I am pretty sure I screen-shotted your comment last time to have just in case. ?

But I am very leary about modifying anything until after the warranty is up. Plus there is some stuff I like about the Black Diamond, and sometimes I absolutely love it. But sometimes I love the base better.?

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My 67 has a 400hp efi, Overdrive, 5.5" lift, 35" tires, lockers front rear, heated seats, 18k winch, nice sound system. I am not worried my new Bronco will outdo my old Bronco. Highway win for the new Bronco, Off-road win for the old one.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Where the new one will be much better is prepped/sealed for water crossing. This will be much better sealed and no need to dump the diff and transfer case after a deep water cross.
The old one's could be completely submerged though for a long time (without totaling it). As long as you shut the engine off as soon as it happened. It was a matter of pulling spark plugs, cranking engine until water cleared exh, drying out distr cap, and changing engine oil. Even Durasparks were fully potted and waterproof. I've done it, and wheeled the rest of the day.

Ford Bronco How much more capable is the Base to the original Bronco? JIMswam

6G Base approach, departure and breakover: 35.5/29.8/21.1
EB: (claimed by webpage linked below) approach, departure and breakover: 45/34/31.4

IMHO: 6G base needs some 32s and an inch or two of lift.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-bronco-new-vs-original-spec-comparison/
Also, EB is approx 3 inches shorter, 7 inches thinner, 21 inches shorter, and at least 1000 lbs lighter (some sites show closer to 1200 lbs). An EB will fit were the new bronco won't.

Still think the new bronco will kick the crap out of an old EB though, generally (base vs base).
I assume the base new bronco will still have electronic limited slip like action, using brakes, at a minimum.
Sponsored