Sponsored

How much more capable is the Base to the original Bronco?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
“Mmm - maaaattch book what? What’s that?” - said half the youngin’s here. :)

our reply - ” ... And what do I do with these three sea shells!
:ROFLMAO: he doesnt know how to use the 3 sea shells!!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Reactions: OX1

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco Base is most likely better in all areas except the weak diffs and IMHO the 2.3. (I much rather have an old school engine). Other than that better than the original. I will have to admit I miss the simplicity of the cars of the pre 70s.

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What you have in a 1st Gen Bronco is a 3 on the tree manual transmission with a 6 or 8 cyl engine with a max 120 (today’s rating) hp that got 10 mpg city and 15 mpg highway. Other than lap belts, It had no safety features, not even a roll bar. They were equipped with 4 wheel non power drum brakes and manual steering. When the brakes were wet, it took what seemed like a quarter mile to stop from 40mph. The G78-15 tires lasted 15,000 miles and the engine having no smog equipment was easy to work on. There was no factory offered air conditioning and for entertainment, an AM Radio played your favorite tunes. On the stock tires, the Bronco followed every rut or imperfection in the road and really didn’t like speeds over 60mph. The driver had to actually be an active driver in order to keep it on the road. It did 0-60mph in about 10 seconds. It had good off road characteristics, except my 302 did not breath as well in higher altitude off road situations in comparison with the 6 cyl Land Cruisers. On the financial side, my Bronco had an MSRP of $4,000 and it was originally leased based on a $3,200 value. At the end of the lease, the residual was $1.00 which was eagerly paid. I put over 100,000 miles on my 1970 and have fond memories of every mile. But that is in my rear view mirror now and I will patiently await the arrival of my 2021 Bronco to start new memories.
Sounds like a current model Jeep ?

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sounds like a current model Jeep ?
I do have to say that my 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Limited rode and handled better than my Bronco, and as my wife has said, was the most fun car we have ever owned, but quality wise, was by far the worst new car purchase ever made. The 258 cid 6 cyl performed about equally with the earlier Bronco Ford 302, and got about 20% better fuel mileage. Even though that was many moons ago, I am skeptical about ever buying a Jeep again.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do have to say that my 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Limited rode and handled better than my Bronco, and as my wife has said, was the most fun car we have ever owned, but quality wise, was by far the worst new car purchase ever made. The 258 cid 6 cyl performed about equally with the earlier Bronco Ford 302, and got about 20% better fuel mileage. Even though that was many moons ago, I am skeptical about ever buying a Jeep again.
I was kidding, I had a 2006 LJ and it was very reliable, great motor (4.0l inline 6), decent 6sp, really capable with 32” MT and rear limited slip. Diving dynamics and ride.....not so good once we moved to MI from GA. I hope the Bronco is a good step up in ride and handling!
Sponsored