Sponsored

How much would you pay to Turo a Raptor at Silver Lake?

OP
OP
Seventyfouronthefloor

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A 90-minute Porsche experience on a closed track is $600. I think a full 24 hours in a more exclusive Bronco Raptor is probably worth at least $1k per day.
šŸ˜³ I wasnā€™t even at half that rate for weekends and holidays. I guess Iā€™m only looking to recoup my downpayment (from selling my boat) and cover about half of the payments and all the insurance/maintenance/marketing/Turo fees.

I would love to have this ā€œUniRaptorā€ be accessible to families like mine rather than just the ultra-rich.
Sponsored

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This likely depends on your area, do you allow renters to take it off road?
I live in Utah. Itā€™s been to Moab 3x so far. Of course I tell people only easy and tame trails but in the end, people can make their own mind up. The conversation I have with them is that nobody wants damage, so please treat it like it was your own so we donā€™t have to deal with that. Been really great so far

OP
OP
Seventyfouronthefloor

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a golden ticket and a dealer charging me MSRP. Still, I donā€™t really make enough to practically afford this thing.

Iā€™m seriously considering parking it at a friends house who lives on upper Silver Lake in Mears for the summer and renting it out for day use on the dunes. A college roommate is the director of new initiatives at Haggerty insurance and they are developing a special package for Turo business operators that would offer full coverage in a PLPD state like Michigan.

Iā€™ve got numbers in mind for what Iā€™d want to/need to charge on weekdays and weekends, but curious what the community here thinks theyā€™d pay to have a BRaptor for a day. I donā€™t think Iā€™d let anyone take it on roads, just the dunes.

I know no one wants to hear this but if you cant afford it you're much better off flipping it. And if you REALLY want to keep it, renting it works but do your research first, renting can be a nightmare and you may not even want it after a bunch of people beat it up on the trails and streets regularly. Its a performance vehicle at the end of the day and people rent it just for that reason. Even the laws for insurance and theft and so forth are different for renting (and much more complicated and frustrating).

Sponsored

NeoS281

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t think Iā€™d let anyone take it on roads, just the dunes.
Curious on how you would limit this if you're using Turo. I use Turo often but have never seen them offer vehicles that were meant for off-road use only. I suppose you could state that a paved road is unapproved but not sure Turo would go for that.

From Turo:
Prohibited vehicle uses and activities include: Using a vehicle booked through Turo
  • to tow or push anything.
  • other than on paved roads (whether "off-roading," driving on unimproved roads or parking areas,ā€ or otherwise).

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know no one wants to hear this but if you cant afford it you're much better off flipping it. And if you REALLY want to keep it, renting it works but do your research first, renting can be a nightmare and you may not even want it after a bunch of people beat it up on the trails and streets regularly. Its a performance vehicle at the end of the day and people rent it just for that reason. Even the laws for insurance and theft and so forth are different for renting (and much more complicated and frustrating).
Sorry, but youā€™re wrong. Turo makes this easy for both the renter and the owner and you proclaiming that if you canā€™t affordā€¦ blah blah is pretty ridiculous. I owned a rental company. We rented boats, PWCā€™s, ATV, and trailers. It started out to be able to access toys and turned into a company doing $350k a year in revenue. That was difficult, Turo is easy peasy! And respectfully itā€™s none of your business what motivates someone. For me, itā€™s my 4th car and we decided to have our cake and eat it too. Itā€™s the only thing in my house that is paying itā€™s own way! To each his own.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not comparable because anyone can rent a Jeep anywhere. You canā€™t rent a Bronco hardly anywhere, much less a Bronco Raptor.
While maybe not an apples to apples comparison is could definitely be seen as a Granny Smith to Gala apple comparison. You do know what research is, right?!?

That site offers different models of jeeps as part of its marketing. Knowing the premium they may charge for a more premium model Jeep would tell you if folks are prepared to pay more for renting a Raptor Bronco vs a standard model; assuming they even know the difference between a Jeep and a Bronco.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You do know what research is, right?!?
The research I did was specific to my market, and on Turoā€™s website which is helpful with all of this.

Last edited:

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The research I did was specific to my market, and on Turoā€™s website which is helpful with all of this. Iā€™m two miles from LAX, so my comps are not Jeeps.
Who's renting a 4x4 in LA to go 4wheeling in LA?

Sponsored

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Who's renting a 4x4 in LA to go 4wheeling in LA?
Shocking news but most owners of Jeeps and Broncos never leave the pavement.

But to answer your question: Very affluent people, and theyā€™re not wanting to go off road.

OP
OP
Seventyfouronthefloor

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Curious on how you would limit this if you're using Turo. I use Turo often but have never seen them offer vehicles that were meant for off-road use only. I suppose you could state that a paved road is unapproved but not sure Turo would go for that.

From Turo:
Prohibited vehicle uses and activities include: Using a vehicle booked through Turo
  • to tow or push anything.
  • other than on paved roads (whether "off-roading," driving on unimproved roads or parking areas,ā€ or otherwise).
Thatā€™s a good point and why I mentioned the friend at Haggery Insurance in my initial post.

Basically, Iā€™m knowingly violating the Turo terms of use and would not be using Turoā€™s coverage to file any damage claims. Iā€™d need Turo for vetting would-be renters and because I wouldnā€™t be able to get a commercial vendor license for operating an off-road vehicle rental service. I talked to the park superintendent and they said that I wouldnā€™t need a vendor license as a private rental party.

Regarding how I would keep it from going on paved roads? Iā€™d probably put paddle/scoop tires on the rear wheels and trailer it to/from the staging area. Not a complete solution but still a big enough deterrent for most.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shocking news but most owners of Jeeps and Broncos never leave the pavement.
Probably true, but OP's original statement was; "...renting it out for day use on the dunes." and "I donā€™t think Iā€™d let anyone take it on roads, just the dunes."

OP
OP
Seventyfouronthefloor

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I definitely thought about this and my dealerā€™s offer to give me $15k towards a future bronco order with them if I ordered to spec and signed it over to them (tax/selling hassle free).

However, if I can pay for it in 4-5 years with rental fees and then sell it used for, say, $45,000, I come out a lot better than that $15k AND I get to use it on days when itā€™s not being rented. Yeah, Iā€™m out the $25k downpayment that might turn into $45k in a strong market, but I wouldnā€™t be be able to drive a Bronco Raptor, likely ever.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I soon as pimp out my wife than rent out my Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited: