Sponsored

How often should we use the lockers, SBD, drive modes to keep them in good shape?

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For all the n00bs to off roading like myself, or for those who won’t make use of the off road equipment on the Bronco very often, how often should we engage it to make sure it doesn’t malfunction due to inactivity?

Like should I drive around slowly in a dirt lot and engage 4L once every couple months just to keep the parts lubricated?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Every single chance you get.
I’m sure there’s something in the manual, but every couple of months would be good, mostly so you know it works. I use my 4wd weekly including 4lo. Lots of electronics these days so it’s good to make sure it works before you need it. Most of that stuff stays lubricated without being on.

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use it when I need it, and ignore it the rest of the time. It hasnt ever bit me, but maybe I should use it more? I've had my bronco for 5 years, it has been in 4 low once lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoBoy22

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's why off-roadeo is a thing to help people like me and you
Absolutely agreed! Really looking forward to it. That was one of my motivations to not wait for later model years. I think that event will be super helpful

Thanks all for the replies! Plenty of trails and fire roads by me where I can take it to “stretch its legs” periodically so I know all the parts work

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For all the n00bs to off roading like myself, or for those who won’t make use of the off road equipment on the Bronco very often, how often should we engage it to make sure it doesn’t malfunction due to inactivity?

Like should I drive around slowly in a dirt lot and engage 4L once every couple months just to keep the parts lubricated?
You're not alone, I also would like to know the answer to this question.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The lockers are in the differentials. There is a mechanism that puts them in a locked position but they're constantly being lubed by the gear oil. You'd have to have other things wrong for them to seize up.

The drive modes are just programming and, as far as I know, use your throttle and brakes which you use all the time.

Not sure what you mean by SBD.

OP
OP
BroncoBoy22

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The lockers are in the differentials. There is a mechanism that puts them in a locked position but they're constantly being lubed by the gear oil. You'd have to have other things wrong for them to seize up.

The drive modes are just programming and, as far as I know, use your throttle and brakes which you use all the time.

Not sure what you mean by SBD.
SBD for Sway Bar Disconnect

Good info you provided!

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
SBD for Sway Bar Disconnect

Good info you provided!
Ah. So the sway bar is using a new type of mechanism. It's hydraulic vs the Wranglers electronic version. I don't imagine you'd need to use it occasionally to keep it working? Unless it got coated in mud or something that interfered with it.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The tires need special attention as well. You have to rotate them on time and correctly or you are going to have similar issues to not using transfer case often enough.
What?

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I put my wrangler rubicon in 4LO, toggle the lockers on and off, and use the swaybar disconnect monthly. I have heard stories of some lockers wearing such that lock rings will not engage. I've also helped people troubleshoot their transfer cases on part time 4 wheel drive vehicles when it doesn't work when they needed it.

My experiences with ford include F150s that don't always shift properly (get stuck in 4LO) and an explorer sportrac that's electronic transfer case control module died ($160 part wholesale). That's why I like the wranglers manual transfer case. Never any doubt if it works. You can hear the teeth when they disagree. :D

On all part time 4WD vehicles, especially on wranglers, read and follow the shifting directions. It often varies from 2HI to 4HI and 4HI to 4LO.
Sponsored