Sponsored

How often should we use the lockers, SBD, drive modes to keep them in good shape?

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Without the vacuum disconnect or other disconnect on the hub end of the ford trucks, the CV joints and boots will wear out faster spinning all the time, especially when the CV joints are "angled. See also: fuel economy reasons.
Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hourly, need lots of power and torque applied too. You have to get them covered in drive coating (mud) constantly.

Whoohoo it’s an off-road vehicle!

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The lockers themselves are mechanical and a part of the differential, therefore always lubricated. However they are actuated electronically.

The transfer case is always turning whenever the wheels are turning, therefore always lubricated. However it is actuated electronically.

The sway bar disconnect requires no lubrication since all parts, moving or not, are encased in a hydraulic chamber. The hydraulic "cylinders" are relieved by small electronic solenoids to enable sway bar disconnection.

See a theme? Everything's electronic, and the parts that aren't are always lubricated. Actuate them every once in a while to make sure everything's working and that'll be all you need.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I get mine after school summer break is over (most likely, night one res and half way up in my dealer's allocation, but all of the deadly sins) it will probably months if not a year before I get to see some real trails, so I plan to take it to a small off road park not too far away, seems to be geared mostly to motorcycles and atv kind of things, but they have a couple fun looking obstacles, I want to make sure everything works before I end up stuck out in the middle of nowhere someday.
And just for fun, I have a dirt parking lot in mind to go and do a couple trail turn assist doughnuts once in a while, just to keep things moving and making sure everything is still doing what it's supposed to.

I don't think you have to engage all the modes periodically, but it also won't hurt and it'll be fun. Find a dirt lot and play every once in a while. But in any case, once you get our rig, go somewhere dirty and make sure all things work they way they should, do that before you hit some remote trails :-D

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ohhhh, I see now. I'll tell the wife. 🤭 🤫

Now, back the regularly scheduled program. Being old school I put my Jeep in 4WD at least once a month whether it needs it, or not. When rubber things ain't used they tend to dry up. Many of you guys know this already. :oops:
Sponsored