Sponsored

How should a base Bronco compare to a Humvee and 7 ton 6x6?

BrianBormes

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Powerstroke Bronco, Cummins Bronco, LS Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I apologize for standing up for the Humvees. It never occurred to me they might not be great at what they were designed to do, and I have off-roaded in them extensively and never got stuck myself, though someone mentioned high centering jogged my memory and yes, people in my convoys would get high centered more often than getting stuck in any other way. To avoid that kind of thing I always swung it out and attacked the hump from a side angle and that seemed to work. But then again I might have been more aware and particular about finding my line several steps ahead to overcome whatever obstacles or problems I'd have.

As far as Humvees having brutal rides, I just thought that was how it was.

I'm truly excited then about the Bronco. It didn't occur to me that it, for the most part, should actually be better at off-roading. Wow.

Question: While I don't desire to nor have the income to build or upgrade a Bronco much, I think a fair compromise of a 32-33" highway biased A/Ts (made another thread about this, I have a few I'm considering but from personal experiences it seems like Continental TerrainContacts A/T or I think it was Bridgestone "K02s") on a base model manual with standard transfer case (better gearing for street use) and 2.3T engine. If the factory offers a 2-2.5" suspension lift as a standalone option I'll get that certainly as the base is lower than the rest of the Bronco trims and as I understand, upgrading the stock 30" tires to a 32-33" tire may need more room. Plus it looks better to me. Thoughts?
I'm excited for you, because you have yet to experience something other than a Humvee off-road, you are going to be blown away. One huge advantage of the Humvee vs Bronco is tire size though, 37's will roll over rocks and dips very well, 30" tires will kind of be a letdown since you are used to 37's. Both these vehicles are geared down so crawling around may be similar. 33's are a great all around size which I would recommend getting for sure. I am not sure if you need the lift for 33's, you could put 33's on it and not rub, the 30's leave a huge gap in the fenders and plenty of room for bigger tires.

Another important thing to note is lockers. Humvee's comes with Torson lockers front and rear so all your tires are spinning at the same rate and allow you to get a tire off the ground and still move. The base bronco has no lockers, so that will be a disadvantage. I would upgrade to get the rear locker in the bronco at least and that will get you where you need to go for the most part. But honestly if you sasquatch it you will have the ultimate off road rig, lockers front and rear, 35's and that bronco will go anywhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm excited for you, because you have yet to experience something other than a Humvee off-road, you are going to be blown away. One huge advantage of the Humvee vs Bronco is tire size though, 37's will roll over rocks and dips very well, 30" tires will kind of be a letdown since you are used to 37's. Both these vehicles are geared down so crawling around may be similar. 33's are a great all around size which I would recommend getting for sure. I am not sure if you need the lift for 33's, you could put 33's on it and not rub, the 30's leave a huge gap in the fenders and plenty of room for bigger tires.

Another important thing to note is lockers. Humvee's comes with Torson lockers front and rear so all your tires are spinning at the same rate and allow you to get a tire off the ground and still move. The base bronco has no lockers, so that will be a disadvantage. I would upgrade to get the rear locker in the bronco at least and that will get you where you need to go for the most part. But honestly if you sasquatch it you will have the ultimate off road rig, lockers front and rear, 35's and that bronco will go anywhere.
Thanks for the response. I've thought about the Sasquatch but it likely is just more than I need. And afford. This is just a fun daily driver that I can carry work ladders and tools in, and take the family to go kayaking and light hiking and light off-roading in.

It does look like the Big Bend trim has a few nice features and the bigger wheels and tires, plus alloys would be less rotating mass (mpg). Anyways, I've the build and price thing happens I'll play with it.

Which one are you getting and why?

BrianBormes

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Powerstroke Bronco, Cummins Bronco, LS Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think if you had 33's and a rear locker you would be able to go most places. One of my broncos has 33's and a limited slip rear end and it can do almost everything, front locker is only really needed for rock crawling and deep snow wheeling. I do some decently hardcore off road, not too much rocks, but a ton of snow wheeling so I need all the lockers. I am going with the Badlands manual, possibly squatched (depends on wait times for sasquatch with manual). I will be doing 35's no matter what just because I need the extra ground clearance for deep snow. I have been considering base model with sasquatch and just add rock sliders and bumpers down the road. But I wont know till build and price comes out to see what its all going to cost. Going 2 door no matter what.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think if you had 33's and a rear locker you would be able to go most places. One of my broncos has 33's and a limited slip rear end and it can do almost everything, front locker is only really needed for rock crawling and deep snow wheeling. I do some decently hardcore off road, not too much rocks, but a ton of snow wheeling so I need all the lockers. I am going with the Badlands manual, possibly squatched (depends on wait times for sasquatch with manual). I will be doing 35's no matter what just because I need the extra ground clearance for deep snow. I have been considering base model with sasquatch and just add rock sliders and bumpers down the road. But I wont know till build and price comes out to see what its all going to cost. Going 2 door no matter what.
Yes it's difficult for most of us to make a decision it seems. Thank you for the advice. It'll be fun to play with the configuration thing online for sure.
Sponsored