How Should Ford Handle Discounted Accessory Hard Tops?

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Bronco
Badlands
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Your talking about buying the MIC as a accessory? So why would ford it at cost? If you switched to a soft top; that's your decision. You could have waited for the MIC. Your probably still going to see your soft top before the people who opted for the MIC get to drive their Bronco. Ford isn't forcing people into anything they don't choose. If someone decide to change anything down the road; they should pay up like anyone else.
Ford is absolutely making me chose something I don't want: Rapid Red or MIC top. I wanted both, but since my reservation was "late" (7/26/20), I don't have a chance in hell to see a MIC Rapid Red Bronco from the factory. I would have been more than happy to wait my turn just like everyone else, but Ford dropped my color for MY22. Coincidentally, that's when they're going to be scheduling new MIC builds. So either way I'm stuck paying for something out of pocket after-sale that was initially offered from Ford as a factory option.

However, that was MY point of view as the consumer, which isn't what I was asking. I was asking what you would do in Ford's shoes as the producer. Obviously your answer is "get bent" or something along those lines.
Advertisement

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

My suggestion is they honor the price protection promised on an entire vehicle to the accessories given up by switching.

I have no problem with buying a MOD or MIC top for the original price of dual top option. The soft top is/was included in base price. There was no option to sell top less Broncos. Free shipping to dealer would also be desirable. They ship weekly parts orders in 55' van trailers so adding a top once in a while is nothing.

And the price protection should extend to the accessories we gave up like rook racks

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Bronco
Badlands
This is not going to be popular, I know. Anyone else find it interesting that soft top switchers are being killed for wanting a discount later on hard tops because “they chose to switch”, and then are getting killed again by people who didn’t when their builds are getting out sooner. Same ones wanting more compensation for waiting longer on their hard tops. Salty is salty I guess. The fact of the matter is by the time fords hard tops come out, they will be competing with third party vendors for business for them if not lost some because people already bought from 3rd party aftermarket. Most likely Ford will make it comparable in price to jeep. Probably $1800 for the mic and $3k-$3500 for the painted to match hard top. Just my thoughts.

Zeke013

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Bronco
Badlands
Having now had almost a month with the soft top - I don't want a hard top. Enlightening experience.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Bronco
First Edition
Having now had almost a month with the soft top - I don't want a hard top. Enlightening experience.
Totally agree. Was A Painted Hard top FE, but when the paint went to Grey, I went to Badlands Soft top. We are absolutely surprised how much we love the Soft top. Would have never ordered one if not for the constraints. Completely amplifies the Bronco Experience for us.

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Bronco
Badlands
Totally agree. Was A Painted Hard top FE, but when the paint went to Grey, I went to Badlands Soft top. We are absolutely surprised how much we love the Soft top. Would have never ordered one if not for the constraints. Completely amplifies the Bronco Experience for us.
Seems a lot of people have to say this about the soft top. I’m just worried about northern winters with it

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 XLT 3.5L ÉCOBOOST + ESCAPE TITANIUM
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely nothing. Like one of the posters said before, Ford gave everyone the choice.
HI
This is true for me my choice is to order before march 19 2021 with dual top shadow black modular top + soft top option for 3700,00$ CDN before discount on MSRP.For me it's a very good deal now cause watch the price for top delivery separately later. FORD send me a message about price protection for my built in 2023 . i have a good early timestamp. i prefer to receive the BRONCO EARLY IN 2023 THAN A LATE 2021 end of the year. + all the problem with a new production vehicule. FORD WILL fix many problem with new built on 2023. my order BAD LAND full load with all option avalaible.
i am very patient an i am waiting
TRACKTOY

Bubba007

Wildtrak
First Name
Robby
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 platinum supercrew
Bronco
Wildtrak
Clubs

I always wanted soft top and can wait for White painted hard top to go with my AMB color.
I always wanted soft top and can wait for White painted hard top to go with my AMB color.

Raptor911

Wildtrak
First Name
Raptor911
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Raptor (9/23/2020 build day)
Bronco
Wildtrak
Ford should do this >> Make the Dual top an option in that most of us will buy a soft-top BUT pay for both up front. In a year or 2, when the hardtop is available .. we get one.

To alleviate shipping cost for us and also from a logistic standpoint, Ford will set up regional centers around the country where owners who have paid for the hardtop can go pick them up.

This is a win for BOTH parties. Ford is getting $$ up front for something they do not have to provide until later down the road. And we get a hardtop at a lower cost (no shipping and financed in with the bronco at purchase).

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Bronco
Badlands
Since you'd end up with dual tops, I'd expect to pay the same as the dual top option. on a Jeep thats $2500, so that would be my guess.

That said, if it is $2500 or less, I expect it to be for a short time or only for customers with a VIN as once it goes to regular parts, I expect it to be $5000 or more. Heck one plastic side window for the soft top is over $700

Bronco cat

Outer Banks
First Name
Carl
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Bronco
Outer Banks
I'll give you 2 options... As a customer, not as Ford.
1. Same charge as current upgrade cost (what is is $695..$795, I forget). And charge for shipping.
2. Double current charge, 1/2 of estimated charge. $1500 with free shipping.

My thoughts anyways.
You realize the cost factors in a credit for the soft top? Not going to happen

AngryAgain

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JKU
Bronco
Black Diamond
You realize the cost factors in a credit for the soft top? Not going to happen
Does anyone realize what I posted was my thoughts on how I felt Ford should handle it?

This is now the second reply that is questioning whether or not it's possible.

I don't care if it's likely or possible, it's what I think Ford should do.

Drex

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Bronco
Badlands
Ford is absolutely making me chose something I don't want: Rapid Red or MIC top. I wanted both, but since my reservation was "late" (7/26/20), I don't have a chance in hell to see a MIC Rapid Red Bronco from the factory. I would have been more than happy to wait my turn just like everyone else, but Ford dropped my color for MY22. Coincidentally, that's when they're going to be scheduling new MIC builds. So either way I'm stuck paying for something out of pocket after-sale that was initially offered from Ford as a factory option.

However, that was MY point of view as the consumer, which isn't what I was asking. I was asking what you would do in Ford's shoes as the producer. Obviously your answer is "get bent" or something along those lines.
So...Missy came to your home and stood over you with a ball-peen hammer, ready to pulverize your kneecaps unless you ordered a soft top?

To me, that would rise to being 'forced'. Deciding to buy a soft top because you might get it sooner or for whatever reason sounds like more of a choice...

Did Ford repeatedly make terrible choices for the end user during the process? Duh. Does your title scream entitled? Absolutely, it assumes there is or should be a discount. Perhaps that colors the responses you are getting as well.

You do not get Ford points for switching.
You do if it was ordered as a Mod or dual top prior to 3/20/21. Since almost all orders went in before 3/20/21, those that had wanted a dual top (that is the subject of this thread, having both hard and soft tops) from the start got points (until 2023 delivery per the latest emails) for switching to MIC or soft top if they chose not to wait until 2023. Short version is that people got points offered because Ford could not deliver what was in their order guide for two additional model years. Others chose to change an available top (MIC, although in slow production) to a soft top in an effort to get it sooner, but had not wanted a dual roof at original order time. So yes, people who originally ordered dual tops get points. Folks who originally had no intention of having both hard and soft tops currently do not get points, just the chance of getting their vehicle sooner. So I will grant you that in the specialized case of someone who decided after ordering MIC that the wanted the vehicle sooner and that a soft top was an acceptable substitute, they get no points. Your blanket statement that people switching get no points is of course completely wrong, but my statement could have been more precise, I assumed too much understanding of the dual top situation in its totality for some of the readers of the thread.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics
Advertisement