Sponsored

How Should Ford Handle Discounted Accessory Hard Tops?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The after-sale purchase of all hard tops (MIC or Modular) has been pushed until 2023 calendar year, at least that was the last timetable that Ford has given us. Ford did say on their live stream (back when they announced that the MIC tops are all getting replaced) that they're working on something for people that initially wanted hard tops but switched to soft tops. Pricing, even a rough ball park, is not going to be known for a while. It's also pretty silly to expect MIC tops to later be free.

However, I'm curious what you guys what do if you were in Ford's shoes. After-sale OEM Wrangler hard tops are usually around $3K. I wouldn't really expect Ford's pricing to be all that different. Obviously, shipping these big bastards is going to be expensive as well. However, we're not the ones that made a poorly-engineered and poorly-manufactured top, OK'd it for sale, and released them to the public.

I was thinking that, as a goodwill gesture, Ford should sell MIC or MOD tops at their cost to verified MY21 soft top orders. For shipping, they can average-out the shipping costs like they do with the destination charges for new cars. This should appease the people that feel that they were "forced" out of their preferred hard top, due to production delays or dropped colors.

How would you do it if you were in Ford's shoes?
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the people who chose, of their own free will, to get a soft top in an effort to get a chance at an earlier build should get a discount on the hardtop with some of them paying more for shipping so others can get it cheaper (I wonder where you live...)? What about the people who kept the hardtop and waited, should they get a discount on a future soft top as well?

News flash; they got Ford points for swapping, that is their compensation.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'll give you 2 options... As a customer, not as Ford.
1. Same charge as current upgrade cost (what is is $695..$795, I forget). And charge for shipping.
2. Double current charge, 1/2 of estimated charge. $1500 with free shipping.

My thoughts anyways.
The hardtop is not $695. It is $695 + the cost of the base soft top.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't say it was $695. I said Ford should charge the cost of the upgrade.

And if you want to take it further, then can deal with the loss of the soft top. They were/are pushing people towards the soft top, so take the hit. Cost of business.
It may be the 'cost of business' but there is no way Ford will do that. No reason to. Folks got a soft top because they wanted to get theirs sooner. That item has value and the buyer got the value. No reason to give you credit when I sell you a hard top. Maybe I give you a discount, but not a discount worth the full cost of a soft top.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

no one was forced into a soft top, they were given an option that they freely chose.

In return they got Ford cash, their build earlier and the hard top prep kit. If Ford gives any discount it is gravy.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you work for Ford?
Or was the original post a question as to how should Ford handle this?

I gave my opinion, if it bothers you that much I don't know what to tell you.
Obviously my opinion bothered you. Dude chill. I just don't think that you're going to get a massive discount for a hard top just because you got a soft top.

No I don't work for Ford. I designed one of their test facilities. Looking forward to owning a vehicle that went through the climatic wind tunnels and powertrain test cells that I designed. Have a good one.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing beyond what they've already done (FordPass points).

If Ford had forced customers to switch to soft top, then it should cost the usual $695 upgrade. But soft top was always an optional pick. Ford didn't force anyone to change their order to a soft top, so they shouldn't get anything extra.

Anything beyond that would be a disservice to the customers that specifically opted to wait the extra year for the factory MIC top knowing that buying a MIC top as an accessory would cost $3000-$4000.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The after-sale purchase of all hard tops (MIC or Modular) has been pushed until 2023 calendar year, at least that was the last timetable that Ford has given us. Ford did say on their live stream (back when they announced that the MIC tops are all getting replaced) that they're working on something for people that initially wanted hard tops but switched to soft tops. Pricing, even a rough ball park, is not going to be known for a while. It's also pretty silly to expect MIC tops to later be free.

However, I'm curious what you guys what do if you were in Ford's shoes. After-sale OEM Wrangler hard tops are usually around $3K. I wouldn't really expect Ford's pricing to be all that different. Obviously, shipping these big bastards is going to be expensive as well. However, we're not the ones that made a poorly-engineered and poorly-manufactured top, OK'd it for sale, and released them to the public.

I was thinking that, as a goodwill gesture, Ford should sell MIC or MOD tops at their cost to verified MY21 soft top orders. For shipping, they can average-out the shipping costs like they do with the destination charges for new cars. This should appease the people that feel that they were "forced" out of their preferred hard top, due to production delays or dropped colors.

How would you do it if you were in Ford's shoes?
Your talking about buying the MIC as a accessory? So why would ford it at cost? If you switched to a soft top; that's your decision. You could have waited for the MIC. Your probably still going to see your soft top before the people who opted for the MIC get to drive their Bronco. Ford isn't forcing people into anything they don't choose. If someone decide to change anything down the road; they should pay up like anyone else.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And some of us wanted the soft top from the start, got the soft top with our bronco and are completely happy with said soft top…

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your talking about buying the MIC as a accessory? So why would ford it at cost? If you switched to a soft top; that's your decision. You could have waited for the MIC. Your probably still going to see your soft top before the people who opted for the MIC get to drive their Bronco. Ford isn't forcing people into anything they don't choose. If someone decide to change anything down the road; they should pay up like anyone else.
Ford is absolutely making me chose something I don't want: Rapid Red or MIC top. I wanted both, but since my reservation was "late" (7/26/20), I don't have a chance in hell to see a MIC Rapid Red Bronco from the factory. I would have been more than happy to wait my turn just like everyone else, but Ford dropped my color for MY22. Coincidentally, that's when they're going to be scheduling new MIC builds. So either way I'm stuck paying for something out of pocket after-sale that was initially offered from Ford as a factory option.

However, that was MY point of view as the consumer, which isn't what I was asking. I was asking what you would do in Ford's shoes as the producer. Obviously your answer is "get bent" or something along those lines.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My suggestion is they honor the price protection promised on an entire vehicle to the accessories given up by switching.

I have no problem with buying a MOD or MIC top for the original price of dual top option. The soft top is/was included in base price. There was no option to sell top less Broncos. Free shipping to dealer would also be desirable. They ship weekly parts orders in 55' van trailers so adding a top once in a while is nothing.

And the price protection should extend to the accessories we gave up like rook racks

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not going to be popular, I know. Anyone else find it interesting that soft top switchers are being killed for wanting a discount later on hard tops because “they chose to switch”, and then are getting killed again by people who didn’t when their builds are getting out sooner. Same ones wanting more compensation for waiting longer on their hard tops. Salty is salty I guess. The fact of the matter is by the time fords hard tops come out, they will be competing with third party vendors for business for them if not lost some because people already bought from 3rd party aftermarket. Most likely Ford will make it comparable in price to jeep. Probably $1800 for the mic and $3k-$3500 for the painted to match hard top. Just my thoughts.
Sponsored