John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry if this info is already posted but details of just how the 5.4 V8 can go "south" certainly might be relevant. Despite 5.4 being exactly twice 2,7. the 5.4 is unfortunately not a V12 - which would be sweet and reminiscent of Ford's ownership of Jaguar. Anyway if you hear a "funny screeching sound" it is not a squirrel in the Xmas tree but time to immediately pull to the curb

Major Ford 5.4L Triton V8 Issue Detailed By Veteran Technician: Video (fordauthority.com)
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting article but I am not sure if the failure points are the same. The article mentions the worn out needle bearings on the 5.4 screeching for 5k-15k miles before going kablooey. The 2.7 has been dropping valves with less than 1k miles.

OP
OP
JohnnyBronco

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And without side by side parts comparisons the rockers in the 2.7 may be completely different.

In all the engine's I have torn down and rebuilt, including farm diesels which are under extreme pressures, I have never encountered rocker arms with needle bearings. All the rockers I have handled sat in a saddle with an oil port underneath. Yes they wear out and the rocker itself moves out of position but that has nothing to do with the valve keepers or springs. But none were OHC or more than 2 valves per cylinder and static timing. I would have to go back to school to rebuild a modern powerplant

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If my 2.7 starts going bad, I want it to completely demolish itself so I get a completely new one

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want it to completely demolish itself so I get a completely new one
....and hopefully in front of a dealer who isn't booking basic service appointments 3 weeks out :)
Sponsored