Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I didn't know shit about my Bronco's engine or the turbos. Now I feel like I can carry an intelligent conversation about it.

I like this guy.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very informative! This engine isn't winning any beauty contests but it is very complex and makes sense now.

HmWvm.gif

Curious what he thinks about the auto start/stop. That can't be good for an engine like this, right?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious what he thinks about the auto start/stop. That can't be good for an engine like this, right?
I think that's why the 2.7 oil drainback time is so long, it's designed to hold oil for auto stop/start.

Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very informative! This engine isn't winning any beauty contests but it is very complex and makes sense now.

HmWvm.gif

Have had my 2.7 on my f150 with auto start with 130,000 miles since 2015 and it's been solid

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Modern water cooled turbos = shut it off an walk away. Thermal siphoning keeps coolant circulating when not running.

Let me expand on this, you have to remember as engineers we have to design for the lowest common denominator user. Average Joe doesn't give a second thought about idling for cool down, warm up ect. They start, go, park, and leave.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have had my 2.7 on my f150 with auto start with 130,000 miles since 2015 and it's been solid
Me, too. My F150 2.7 had 66,000 miles in 5 years. All i did was change the oil regularly and have the injector service done at the right time.

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern water cooled turbos = shut it off an walk away. Thermal siphoning keeps coolant circulating when not running.

Let me expand on this, you have to remember as engineers we have to design for the lowest common denominator user. Average Joe doesn't give a second thought about idling for cool down, warm up ect. They start, go, park, and leave.
Right, so I'm curious, he's saying let your turbo engine warm up 10 minutes every time you start it from a cold start..... who plans for that, do you?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I appreciate that the guy says, "If you disagree with me , put it in the comments below."

Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, so I'm curious, he's saying let your turbo engine warm up 10 minutes every time you start it from a cold start..... who plans for that, do you?
By this, I don't think he means let it idle for 10 minutes in your driveway. He just means don't go hitting max boost and high rpm while it is still cold. Unless your driveway is on a major highway, I do not think you will need to do anything special other than taking it a little easy the first few minutes of driving.

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By this, I don't think he means let it idle for 10 minutes in your driveway. He just means don't go hitting max boost and high rpm while it is still cold. Unless your driveway is on a major highway, I do not think you will need to do anything special other than taking it a little easy the first few minutes of driving.
Appreciated, have no clue as I'm new to the turbo world as well.

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond 2022 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remote start is a beautiful thing.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think that's why the 2.7 oil drainback time is so long, it's designed to hold oil for auto stop/start.
So I went ahead and asked him directly about this on youtube:

Ford Bronco How the EcoBoost turbo system works and what you can do to make it last 1638295051711

Based on this and just to be safe, I'm firing my FORScan back up and making another change. ;)

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco How the EcoBoost turbo system works and what you can do to make it last 1638295051711

The “issues” with modern auto start/stop are almost entirely fabricated by people on forums who just want something to complain about. Engineers have done a very good job of making the systems efficient and reliable.
Sponsored