JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't complain as I am fortunate enough to have bought it, but try understanding the annual excise tax on a boat (28' twin 300hp outboards and new)... Sales tax almost $22k!! Then annual excise taxes around 750-$1250 (decreasing slightly since new)
Yes, I've been boat-owner too in the past.....:rolleyes::LOL:
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct. I got hit hard after moving to CO from FL. My wife’s employer forced our hand quicker than the 90days to register in CO due to insurance purposes I guess. Not a fan of CO when it comes to registration fees (3 vehicles - 2 are pricey annual renewals and a camper thats right there with those 2.)

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or we could all just pay our due and avoid committing fraud. In the end if you need to work the system to save a couple percent on your purchase you might re-think the expense. ;)

bronco247

Wildtrak
First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Hyundai Accent
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a WA resident, I have the secret sauce you're trying to go down on.

Here's what you do to avoid WA taxation: Buy that Bronco out of state, preferably in a state where you have close family.

You're also going to need your drivers license to be of that other state and have some bills such as cable, phone and water sent to the family address.

License and insure that Bronco in the state with your family.

Drive the Bronco in WA all day long (and twice as far on Sunday), but pray every.single.day that you never have to call AAA, or get a ticket, or even pulled over. And if you get pulled over, you're about twice as likely to get a ticket as the WSP is trained to identify if you're really living in-state with out-of-state plates and violating the 15-day license requirements.

Otherwise, WA DOL will get wind that you operate the vehicle in WA but purchased elsewhere and when you go to renew tabs or update your drivers license, they will hit you with the remaining sales tax that you used your Oklahoma Credit Card on.

You only have to do this for 3 years! Then you can convert the plates and license to WA.

I also suggest driving cars from before 1964 as tabs were not mandated until 1964, so if you roll '63 or before, you're exempt from tolls. Have fun on the roadways!

WA State DOL state-transfer
I thought after 90 days of out of state registration, we can register the car in WA and not pay any sales tax. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I'm fine with keeping the car in the garage for 3 months to save $5k on a Wildtrak.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys, whatya talking about? Tax evasion... insurance fraud.

tenor.gif

localcpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was hoping somebody had a good answer. Just paid the piper over $3k in sales tax. The registration also increased by 50% here this year.

Enjoying the tax-talk as a CPA :)

KCSO71

Big Bend
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can legally register it in a different county in Washington but not out of state. Ie if you own a PO Box in Yakima but live in Seattle it is fine. It won't save you thousands but it'll save you a few 1/10's.
Registering it out of state to avoided taxes is a big problem. It's a gross misdemeanor. Possible jail + $529 fine + back taxes owed.
RCW 46.16A.030

Sponsored

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sign up for the military, I'm stationed in California and won't let them near my modified sports car. It's easy because my home of record of Florida, so I just keep my vehicle registered in Florida no matter where I get stationed.

Now, just sign here on the dotted line and you'll be all set ?

WyomingBronc

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
⬆ This. Being stationed in Wyoming and a resident of Ohio, I am gonna title/register in my home state of Ohio. And being that it'll be used "out of state" im not required to pay any sales tax! Verified this over the phone today w/ my county title office. BIG WIN

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Historically, Indiana plates have been much more expensive than Illinois plates, so folks did the personal PO box racket for awhile.
Cops figured that one out pretty quick ,your license and registration have to match if you've lived here 30 days(?) or you're getting busted.

However, if a company owns the car and that company is located in Illinois, it becomes much harder to prove from just a simple traffic stop lic/reg check....so now those folks are all driving LLC/INC company vehicles that are registered in Illinois.
There were places that actually could provide non-po box addresses so everything appears even more on the up and up.

Me, I just pay my Indiana dues. I usually only have one car at a time that has several(2-3-400) hundred dollar annual registration dues. The rest are cheaper as they age, down to a $25 minimum...as I recall.

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

⬆ This. Being stationed in Wyoming and a resident of Ohio, I am gonna title/register in my home state of Ohio. And being that it'll be used "out of state" im not required to pay any sales tax! Verified this over the phone today w/ my county title office. BIG WIN
Ford Bronco How to avoid high state sales tax 1603518833409

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You want nice roads, fire services, police services, properly stewarded national and state parks to off-road your new Bronco in?

Etc. Etc.

Pay your taxes. It’s patriotic.

JK
Sponsored