First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t know what that article thinks it is saying but you cannot “buy you car from the factory.” You can order it from the factory as you want it but you are still buying it from a dealership.

1Five1 Garage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, F350, 4Runner, 52 Ford F1 RatRod
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

all it's talking about is buying a car built for you from the dealer rather then from the dealers lot.

Sponsored

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems to be another fluff article with no helpful information- It says:

How to place a factory order

If you have the luxury of waiting for delivery, here’s how to navigate the build-to-order process.

Shoppers typically order a vehicle one of two ways:

• Configure a vehicle on the manufacturer’s website and submit your order through an assigned dealer. The MSRP you see is not guaranteed. Negotiations are handled through the dealer.
  • Negotiate and order directly with the dealer of your choice.
Time frame: The dealer can’t give you an exact delivery date, but its ordering system should be able to give you an estimate. Consider going elsewhere if the delivery date is too far out, as manufacturers allot cars to dealerships at different rates.

Price: While it’s not binding, agree on the purchase price and ask that the paperwork you receive reflect that agreed-upon amount. It should include the negotiated price of the car, any dealer-installed extras that you agree on, taxes, title and license. Ask if this is the amount you’ll pay when the vehicle arrives. While rebates and incentives are rare these days, according to Jones, clarify which are reflected in the price and what happens if they change.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just jumping in here to express a sentiment that as a consumer I'd like to be able to order 'direct from the factory' or at least negotiate a sale via a dealership for a vehicle built for me to my configuration specifications.

Have done this (or at least that's what I thought I was doing/getting) in the past with 2 ford pickups and was very happy with the vehicles and kept them for many years.

My desire is to (1) get a specific configuration, (2) avoid trim items and features added by the dealership as unwanted extra expense items, and (3) insure that I am receiving an actual new new vehicle that has not been through other dealerships or no telling where at a risk of having picked up some damage that will show itself later on.

It seems like there might be 2 or 3 'grey market' systems out there where by a dealership can acquire a current model year vehicle, that could have run into some serious trouble, and sell it as new.

Have one story of a co-worker who purchased a new Ford pickup from a dealership and started having paint troubles after about 6 months. A few weeks into the troubleshooting for the paint issue it was realized that the pickup had aftermarket parts on it. The guess was that the pickup had been completely repainted after some trouble by a prior customer and resold as new.

Also had a relative that purchased a 'new' toyota with a trim line with limited availability. The dealership had to search hard to find one and found 'the only one available in the region.' Dealership insisted he come in after dark to pick up the car and after daylight the next day it was discovered that 'all' of the windows were blurred or smeared and otherwise stained in some way. Local attempts to clean them were unsuccessful and the dealership initially refused to replace the windows. He eventually got the windows replaced but I never heard the rest of the story.

So, from my point of view, I'd like to be able to submit a 'factory order' in order to get a specific configuration and receive a vehicle that is delivered directly to the dealership without an opportunity to suffer an unknown history.

Would be willing to pay some fee for a 'special order' or perhaps arrange for pickup at/near the factory. Plus I'd likely want a solid signed agreement about what I was getting and paying for.

rak2
Sponsored