Sponsored

How To Drive My New Bronco.... Road vs.OFF-Road.. 2W vs 4W Setting..MODES??

OP
OP
Gpscharron

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently you can engage Baja Mode and then flip back to 2WD, and it essentially makes for Sport Mode, if not better.
That is my understanding as well.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read the owners manual when it comes time.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On road I wouldn't bother with anything besides either using 4H auto vs 4H lock for snow and ice, 2H for everything else.

Drivetrain bind isn't a huge deal and people freak out about it needlessly.

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly what I was looking for without really knowing how to ask!!!! THANKS!!!!

As a secondary question.....for your average non rock crawling, non mud running type of four wheeler....are lockers all that necessary? It seems that 4A (and maybe some use of the different modes would solve most weather/low traction issues that I would typically see.
If you're not crawling or mudding and just doing forest/back/washboard/dirt/etc roads, I wouldn't bother with lockers.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly what I was looking for without really knowing how to ask!!!! THANKS!!!!

As a secondary question.....for your average non rock crawling, non mud running type of four wheeler....are lockers all that necessary? It seems that 4A (and maybe some use of the different modes would solve most weather/low traction issues that I would typically see.
If you have to ask about lockers, 99.7% chance that you do not need lockers, plain and simple. As an avid off-roader, people know when they need lockers. I have lockers in both my jeep and a rear locker in my truck. I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive needed to engage those lockers and I wheel them pretty hard, climb over very large rocks and inclines. I stick with let's try it without lockers and if I struggle then I'll engage the lockers. Lockers can actually get people in more serious trouble than some people realize.

Sponsored

FTFRS

If you have to ask about lockers, 99.7% chance that you do not need lockers, plain and simple. As an avid off-roader, people know when they need lockers. I have lockers in both my jeep and a rear locker in my truck. I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive needed to engage those lockers and I wheel them pretty hard, climb over very large rocks and inclines. I stick with let's try it without lockers and if I struggle then I'll engage the lockers. Lockers can actually get people in more serious trouble than some people realize.
I kind of feel the same way about 4WD in general. Growing up with MN winters, my dad taught me to try and drive with 2WD as much as possible, because, "4WD will just get you further into the ditch than 2WD."

Obviously that's over-simplifying it, and there are some definite use cases for Auto 4WD during inclement weather, but in general, people think 4WD makes them invincible in poor driving conditions, because they forget that 4WD doesn't equate to 4 wheel stopping or turning, lol.

Reactions: abe

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I kind of feel the same way about 4WD in general. Growing up with MN winters, my dad taught me to try and drive with 2WD as much as possible, because, "4WD will just get you further into the ditch than 2WD."

Obviously that's over-simplifying it, and there are some definite use cases for Auto 4WD during inclement weather, but in general, people think 4WD makes them invincible in poor driving conditions, because they forget that 4WD doesn't equate to 4 wheel stopping or turning, lol.
In my Jeep during CO winters I have to use 4wd when there is any snow on the ground since the rear is so light and too much power. In my truck, pretty much the same thing since I don't carry anything in my bed and have elevation climbs on my daily commutes. In my wife's GC which is full-time AWD, she's been told to not use the snow setting. If she's at that point that she needs it, she's probably already calling me to come get her unstuck and she shouldn't have been hitting trails on her way from work because on the streets (even unplowed streets) its pointless other than starting in 2nd gear from a stop and skipping over 1st gear.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a first gen raptor. I have also had a manual car with a sport mode. The thing about changing throttle maps is that it ruins your shifting. I also think it's dangerous. Put it in snow mode and they cut throttle response. That's great when you are pulling out into traffic and the car doesn't go because it won't let you give it throttle. Now while you are moving and have an automatic, not such a big deal. But Baja mode keeps revs super high. While spending two hours driving across Death Valley, you will run out of gas with the tiny little tank. Plus who wants to cruise with revs at 5k? 2wd is find for almost all situations, until you get wheel spin. Then off road, switch to 4wd and probably lock the rear diff. Otherwise you'll wear all the rubber off your rear tires. 4A is good in the rain or snow, and if you don't have that use 4wd in the snow/ice only. Once they release it go out and play, the only way to know really.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Picking the right line and judicious driving will get a non-locked 4x4 amazing places.

When I got my first vehicle with selectable lockers (05 Rubicon) I got a bit complacent, and got stuck a few times.

Now I try to pay attention and DRIVE the thing, much better.

My rule: If I approach an obstacle and say Oh S**t I engage the rear, If I approach an obstacle and say Oh F**k engage the front too. If I approach and all my limbs start shaking I turn around.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Picking the right line and judicious driving will get a non-locked 4x4 amazing places.

When I got my first vehicle with selectable lockers (05 Rubicon) I got a bit complacent, and got stuck a few times.

Now I try to pay attention and DRIVE the thing, much better.

My rule: If I approach an obstacle and say Oh S**t I engage the rear, If I approach an obstacle and say Oh F**k engage the front too. If I approach and all my limbs start shaking I turn around.
That should be in the manual.
Sponsored