Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

EDIT September 2022: Curt and Tekonsha now have different part numbers available for halogen tail lights so you no longer have to do this fix. The halogen specific part numbers are Tekonsha 118867 or Curt 56471

As detailed in this post linked here, the Curt and Tekonsha trailer hitch wiring harnesses currently on the market only work with LED style tail lights.

If you have the halogen tail lights that are standard on Base, Big Bend, and Black Diamond models, the current harness design will NOT work!

Thanks to research and testing by forum members @VoltageDrop and @72BroncoSand and @skoorb76 a fix was developed to allow halogen owners to use this product. I made a video to show how to implement this fix, and also some detail on why the problem exists.

Hopefully it will help some forum members!

Sponsored

Last edited:

skoorb76

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Your Bronco Model
Base
As detailed in this post linked here, the Curt and Tekonsha trailer hitch wiring harnesses currently on the market only work with LED style tail lights.

If you have the halogen tail lights that are standard on Base, Big Bend, and Black Diamond models, the current harness design will NOT work!

Thanks to research and testing by forum members @VoltageDrop and @72BroncoSand and @skoorb76 a fix was developed to allow halogen owners to use this product. I made a video to show how to implement this fix, and also some detail on why the problem exists.

Great video, thanks for doing that. I appreciate your video efforts very much... thanks for the tag also. Can't wait to see your install video as well.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice work and thanks for the tag! You consolidated it nicely :cool:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks to Voltagedrop et al for figuring this out and you for showing the procedure. I would have never figured out how to swap those pins!!

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the video, made this mod a whole lot easier! Two of the pins were a PIA to unclip, but finally got them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the video, made this mod a whole lot easier! Two of the pins were a PIA to unclip, but finally got them.
Glad I could help! I have a full hitch and harness installation video now recorded, just need to edit it and will post end of week.

Poolboy1637

Big Bend
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Curt website now shows 2 different harnesses, 1 for LED equipped Broncos and 1 for Non-LED Broncos. You have to scroll down quite a bit to get to where it indicates which one you are looking at. The Non LED is the more expensive of the two.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Curt website now shows 2 different harnesses, 1 for LED equipped Broncos and 1 for Non-LED Broncos. You have to scroll down quite a bit to get to where it indicates which one you are looking at. The Non LED is the more expensive of the two.
Yup, only took them five months after I called their support number and told them they were selling a part that did not work!

But thanks for pointing it out and amending this post. I did the same in the video description. I will also edit the initial post here as well.

Poolboy1637

Big Bend
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yup, only took them five months after I called their support number and told them they were selling a part that did not work!

But thanks for pointing it out and amending this post. I did the same in the video description. I will also edit the initial post here as well.
It's too bad it took so long. I'm sure there are a number of folks that found out the hard way.

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 2D BB EG SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did anyone pull the "hot" from the rear of the Bronco somewhere? Is there an option to get the hot source from one of the "aux" switches? Or do we have to go all the way to the battery?

I don't have my bronco yet, just making the plans and gathering info.

Can't thank all of you enough for all of your effort and info sharing.

Sponsored

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did anyone pull the "hot" from the rear of the Bronco somewhere? Is there an option to get the hot source from one of the "aux" switches? Or do we have to go all the way to the battery?

I don't have my bronco yet, just making the plans and gathering info.

Can't thank all of you enough for all of your effort and info sharing.
I just wired mine up yesterday. I ran the provided wire to the battery. I didn't see any wires that were easily accessible for power though (also need to add the inline fuse I'd imagine).

Running the wire up to the battery wasn't too difficult if you follow the existing wire looms and run along the driver's side frame rail. When you get to the exhaust section you can pass through the frame to the outside section (or run it up and over) and zip tie it all the way down. When you get to the front wheel well there's a little plastic cover that routes the loom and you can follow that around then up through the inside of the wheel well to the battery.

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 2D BB EG SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just wired mine up yesterday. I ran the provided wire to the battery. I didn't see any wires that were easily accessible for power though (also need to add the inline fuse I'd imagine).

Running the wire up to the battery wasn't too difficult if you follow the existing wire looms and run along the driver's side frame rail. When you get to the exhaust section you can pass through the frame to the outside section (or run it up and over) and zip tie it all the way down. When you get to the front wheel well there's a little plastic cover that routes the loom and you can follow that around then up through the inside of the wheel well to the battery.
Thanks for the insight. I maybe am over thinking the process. Once the Bronco arrives and I can actually put my hands on it, things might clear up. Just not sure if I want to keep all the wires inside and out of the elements (ie, MN Winters) by removing trim panels, or just zip tie underneath onto the frame, etc.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would just go to the battery. It is probably not any harder as compared to having to remove trim panels to get to one of the power access points. I thought I had read somewhere in the instructions that is said specifically NOT to use other points other than the battery, but I just went and looked and could not find it, so maybe I am imagining that.

Anyway...I do think battery is best. See linked here the specific part of my video where I ran the power wire from harness to battery.
Sponsored