Sponsored

How to get a white top for your new 2021 Bronco from Ford.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dlr will need to order a top link to a VIN...then they need to find a VIN for a white bronco in their inventory. How many tops will Ford allow the Dlr to order under that VIN or catch the scheme? Penalty after getting caugh?
In my experience dealerships don't HAVE to have a VIN.

There's been more than a few times I've ordered from the dealership and successfully told them "I don't have the VIN handy, do you want my money or not?"
That's possible, but as with all parts, I don't think it will be a problem. People are not going to wait 3 months to get their auto body repaired if they are in a wreck. It's not like this is a $600,000 Ford GT supercar.

Webasto the company making the tops has a built a state of the art new manufacturing plant that opens this Dec., just for Bronco and I believe Jeep Tops and some other FCA stuff.

But we will see..it's all speculation
Have you been asleep the last 9 months? Literally everything is delayed.

Including the Webasto plant apparently.

Do me a favor. Don't wreck your Bronco the first year. I have a feeling you might be waiting a while.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are not plastic ...these are the modular tops (they are optional)
In my experience dealerships don't HAVE to have a VIN.

There's been more than a few times I've ordered from the dealership and successfully told them "I don't have the VIN handy, do you want my money or not?"

Have you been asleep the last 9 months? Literally everything is delayed.

Including the Webasto plant apparently.

Do me a favor. Don't wreck your Bronco the first year. I have a feeling you might be waiting a while.
The day the first 2021 Bronco is delivered, you will be able to get any part that is needed to repair it..it's Federal Law and depending on the part there must be enough parts to last 6-10 years depending on when that vehicle warranty run ends. The Federal Law known as the Magnuson-Moss act require this ..
It's not that the manufacturers make parts for 6-10 years ..it's how long they have a warranty and on what parts, that makes the manufacture make spare parts. I'm not sure how many of ea part they must have on hand, but they must have them on day 1 due to the warranty.

So if there is a delay in parts available, that means the Bronco will be delayed too

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I repainted the top on my on my 79. We sanded down the textured paint and, since it was fiberglass, we resprayed it with glossy white boat paint.

This was before the modern era of paints. If I wanted a white top bad enough, I would try plastidip first. The Matte white at dipyourcar is $239 and you will have enough to do the grille and wheel arches as well :O, and maybe enough to do two broncos.

Wrapping it will cost more, at least $1000, i imagine, maybe as little as $800 but it's a lot of man-hours to wrap something, and thats where it gets expensive. i mean, you can just take your top off, spray it with plastidip and put it back on in a weekend, or pay two people for 6 hours of work at $100/hour to wrap it.

Having it painted by a pro shop is probably the most expensive option, if the top turns out to be paintable. There is going to be more prep work involved, and the paints at a shop gan be expenive. This is also going to look the best, if you go to a good shop. you can

Another option no one is noticing is that aftermarket hard tops are going to be a thing. It might not be as big as the Jeep market, since Wranglers are standard with Canvas, but if a white top is your goal, I would consider getting the soft top, ordering an aftermarket white top, and selling your soft top. In this scenario, opt for the modular top, buy a white modular on the aftermarket and sell your original modular to someone who got stuck with the base hard top.

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a Webasto guy on the forum. That's how we know what the tops are made of
Oh it's BroncoGuy..yep I posted that Webasto was making the tops back in Aug and he confirmed

From what I understand, Webasto is not doing the painting of the modular tops -they are outsourcing them where they will be powder coat painted ..

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The day the first 2021 Bronco is delivered, you will be able to get any part that is needed to repair it..it's Federal Law and depending on the part there must be enough parts to last 6-10 years depending on when that vehicle warranty run ends. The Federal Law known as the Magnuson-Moss act require this ..
It's not that the manufacturers make parts for 6-10 years ..it's how long they have a warranty and on what parts, that makes the manufacture make spare parts. I'm not sure how many of ea part they must have on hand, but they must have them on day 1 due to the warranty.

So if there is a delay in parts available, that means the Bronco will be delayed too
The Magnusson Moss Act says nothing of the sort.

It deals with warranties and simply states that a warrantor must remedy the product within a reasonable time and without charge.

How do you think people windup in recall situations where the repair is delayed because of parts availability?

Takata airbag recall ring a bell?

Better yet. Try ordering all the bits that will make a Bronco a Brapter on the first day of Braptor delivery. I can tell you right now it won't happen.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford will quickly sell every Bronco they build (without any discounts/incentives) for at least 3 years. They have no incentive to add the complexity of mismatched body/top colors until sales start to lag, then they'll offer it (probably first in a special 'Heritage Edition' or somesuch) to generate 'buzz'.

This how mainstream automakers have done business for generations. Luxury automakers like Porsche et al are exceptions; they will factory paint your car in matte rainbow w/ polka dots, with bespoke blurple emu leather seats (for a STEEEEEEP price).

OP
OP
BroncoBuckaroo

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Magnusson Moss Act says nothing of the sort.

It deals with warranties and simply states that a warrantor must remedy the product within a reasonable time and without charge.

How do you think people windup in recall situations where the repair is delayed because of parts availability?

Takata airbag recall ring a bell?

Better yet. Try ordering all the bits that will make a Bronco a Brapter on the first day of Braptor delivery. I can tell you right now it won't happen.

Exactly..did you not read my post? The Magnusson Moss Act deals with 2 things ..warranties and aftermarket parts.. tell me you didn't go to Wikipedia lol

If there is a warranty on your car..the manufacturer must have readily available parts..they don't have to keep them on hand themselves, but it must be for the period of the warranty from day 1.
I specifically said I don't know what the requirement for the minimum amount of parts is.

Obviously if they have a run on parts let's say for a recall or something similar ..they could run out of parts quickly and you may have to wait.

I also never said you will get the Top with your Bronco delivery, what I said to another poster is it won't take years..it will take weeks. I gave an example of a brand new 2020 GT500 which has a unique hood only to that car which took a couple weeks to get in after the car hit a deer.

Wonder how that happened..got a unique hood with a far less number of units made than the Bronco will have and received it in a couple weeks. For a car that probably had less than 2000 delivered at the time.

Takata?..well duh ..I'm pretty sure they ran out of corrected replacements pretty quick ..totally different situation.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also never said you will get the Top with your Bronco delivery, what I said to another poster is it won't take years..it will take weeks. I gave an example of a brand new 2020 GT500 which has a unique hood only to that car which took a couple weeks to get in after the car hit a deer.
That was me. I had a new model car that was rear-ended ~6 months into ownership. It had over $7000 in damage. Even though it was new that year, everything was replaced by factory parts within a couple of weeks.

This does not mean that anyone can go to the parts counter and get those parts just because they want them. Like I said, it literally took years after the JL was released to be able to buy factory tops, both hard and soft. I don't know if Ford will be the same, but I suspect it will. Bronco reservations are going into 2022. Unless something has changed, there won't be non-reserved Broncos on lots at all. Maybe once these orders are fulfilled, or if you've wrecked your truck, you'll be able to get a top. Otherwise, it's incredibly doubtful.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Exactly..did you not read my post? The Magnusson Moss Act deals with 2 things ..warranties and aftermarket parts.. tell me you didn't go to Wikipedia lol

If there is a warranty on your car..the manufacturer must have readily available parts..they don't have to keep them on hand themselves, but it must be for the period of the warranty from day 1.
I specifically said I don't know what the requirement for the minimum amount of parts is.

Obviously if they have a run on parts let's say for a recall or something similar ..they could run out of parts quickly and you may have to wait.

Wonder how that happened..got a unique hood with a far less number of units made than the Bronco will have and received it in a couple weeks. For a car that probably had less than 2000 delivered at the time.

Takata?..well duh ..I'm pretty sure they ran out of corrected replacements pretty quick ..totally different situation.
The Magnuson Moss act does not state anywhere that "manufacturers must have a certain number of parts on hand." Anywhere. At all. It simply says if you offer a warranty, you must fulfill it in a reasonable amount of time. Exactly the reason you won't be able to order one. They will have to be able to replace any warranty affected units within a reasonable amount of time. They can't waste inventory needed for builds and warranties selling their limited supply to any Joe Schmoe.

Arrogance and ignorance.

Order yourself a modular top in Oxford White the day you pick up your Bronco.

If you get it within six months I will pay for it for you and buy you a beer.

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are many cases when, due to the initial ramp up of production and dealer/customer demand, there are no real reserves to fill the service part system. All of the available parts are used to get production rolling. You will get somethings available, since not all parts and suppliers have the same capacity or ability to meet demand. But parts that are hot get backlogged as service parts until things normalize. There are times that you really do have to wait to order certain things, sometimes months. I say this as someone that works for a company that supplies to Ford.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I still don't get the fuss over a white top.
Is it really that hard to just get a vinyl wrap or a local shop to paint the grey top white?
I'd like a beige/tan top over white ala the 5th gen broncos.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
going out on a limb here...there will be a shortage of hardtops the first year.

If you order a hardtop through Mopar after the fact, it comes in primer and not painted already.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still don't get the fuss over a white top.
Is it really that hard to just get a vinyl wrap or a local shop to paint the grey top white?
I'd like a beige/tan top over white ala the 5th gen broncos.
Painting that gray MIC would look like crap and its not a smooth surface, so vinyl would also be an issue. So we're looking at spending $2k on a modular black hardtop and then turning around and paying another $1k to have it painted white.

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If we want a white top we should place a reservation with granger in October. For your original reservation you buy a lower trim bronco in Oxford white. You drive that for a while and then order your dream bronco (minus white top) from granger at 2k under invoice. Make the roof. Sell the bronco with the less desired top. Bam!!! Your dream bronco with a white top and some cash in your pocket.
Sponsored