First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found this video by chance and I thought it was pretty comical amateur hour stuff, but made me wonder... with all the different modes and tools that make up the Bronco off-road setup, which is best for different situations like this?

I'm curious how you would handle this slippery uphill climb (lockers or no lockers)?

And then the downhill descent... how best to keep the wheels turning to maintain some steering?

(skip to the 9:27 mark if you're short on time)

Sponsored

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Watched this the other day. Not much experience in the snow myself, but first thought is chains, if you really have to do it. Keep the wheels turning. Engine braking downhill.

All in all, they did a good job. Decided against taking the FX4 up that, which showed restraint.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I found this video by chance and I thought it was pretty comical amateur hour stuff, but made me wonder... with all the different modes and tools that make up the Bronco off-road setup, which is best for different situations like this?

I'm curious how you would handle this slippery uphill climb (lockers or no lockers)?

And then the downhill descent... how best to keep the wheels turning to maintain some steering?

(skip to the 9:27 mark if you're short on time)

Ha! I just watched this too last night and was wondering the same.

Sponsored

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watched this the other day. Not much experience in the snow myself, but first thought is chains, if you really have to do it. Keep the wheels turning. Engine braking downhill.

All in all, they did a good job. Decided against taking the FX4 up that, which showed restraint.
Engine braking is your friend in all downhill descents, IMO. Saves your brakes too (see other thread floating around about Bronco brakes possibly, maybe, not really being inadequate).
I've seen some very capable Jeeps hit their brakes on some steep grade and come dangerously close to sliding out and rolling. FYI, you don't need a manual tranny to do this either. Low gear, put it in manual mode and use the select gear switch on the gearshift.
As far as climbing, high revs in the snow, not your friend. Creep up that snow bank at a crawl at a nice easy engine speed.
Take corners slow and anything off canter, may want to consider a winch with a snatch block, using a tree saver of course.
Hope that helps.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a lot of experience driving in snow, but not driving in snow up and down a severe slope. I don’t have a problem going through snow that deep in my F-150 with KO2’s, no lockers. Tough to say how difficult this is due to the slope. I would do the downhill in low 4, and try to go down very slow.

I don’t know what Bronco setting would be best, but I suspect that a Bronco will handle snow and slopes better than a F-150 due to a shorter wheelbase. I had 3 grand cherokees that were better in snow than my F-150.

Sponsored

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lower the air pressure

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Engine braking is your friend in all downhill descents, IMO. Saves your brakes too (see other thread floating around about Bronco brakes possibly, maybe, not really being inadequate).
I've seen some very capable Jeeps hit their brakes on some steep grade and come dangerously close to sliding out and rolling. FYI, you don't need a manual tranny to do this either. Low gear, put it in manual mode and use the select gear switch on the gearshift.
As far as climbing, high revs in the snow, not your friend. Creep up that snow bank at a crawl at a nice easy engine speed.
Take corners slow and anything off canter, may want to consider a winch with a snatch block, using a tree saver of course.
Hope that helps.
I agree on using engine braking on steep terrain. Having driven in the snow a lot of my life, slow and steady is the way to go and you're actually better off to let the vehicle roll faster to maintain some steering rather than step on the brakes to slow down, because once you lockup, all is lost. Does the Bronco have a hill descent control? If so, what does that do exactly? (I've never had a vehicle with that).

Slow and steady also works going up hill and sometimes, momentum is king for some climbs. Many times on snow covered city streets, I've cursed drivers who don't realize this and stop on a hill for some reason, or folks coming down, not getting out of the way to provide right-of-way to someone climbing up, or worse, someone backing out of their driveway while you're trying to climb the street and they kill your climb. :(

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kiss your ass good bye and carry good insurance

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would not put hill descent on in icy situations, 4lo and low gears for sure.

Momentum for uphill but curious to see what that slippery goat mode can do or can't.